joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Monday Mauler or Monday Bawler? part II

DDweatherman

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think people are underestimating the chance for dynamical cooling here...yeah if Im in DC Im :yikes: but it can be accumlating snow at 33-34...I still think a few inches for both DC and Balt are not out of the question.

I know I am going to get shot for making the comparison, but what were the temps like for 1-26-11? As I recall DCA never dropped below freezing but recorded 5 inches.

I think people are underestimating the chance for dynamical cooling here...yeah if Im in DC Im :yikes: but it can be accumlating snow at 33-34...I still think a few inches for both DC and Balt are not out of the question.

It actually looks pretty good for the fall line and west about 20-30 miles. .5+ for most in a 6 hour period. Surface 32 or below for most of it. 

I know I am going to get shot for making the comparison, but what were the temps like for 1-26-11? As I recall DCA never dropped below freezing but recorded 5 inches.

Ive already made the comparison on my weather page yesterday but clearly stating this will NOT be as disruptive..but yes, the chance for dynamical cooling is somewhat similar in my book.

Ive already made the comparison on my weather page yesterday but clearly stating this will NOT be as disruptive..but yes, the chance for dynamical cooling is somewhat similar in my book.

Ya. Timing is key. That was right on the PM commutte, this looks like it won't get cranking until after the AM commute is finished and will end before the PM commute.

Well, this definitely tapered my enthusiasm for this one.  Frees me from this damn computer for a good bit now.  yay for that.

Beautiful outside. I am headed out to wash the car and then go hiking. I really would rather this just be rain, because the next event right behind it is warm and wet. And we sure don't need more salt dumped on the roads.

It's going to be a lot easier to know once we get a couple model cycles in a row that are similar. Lots of change still happening.

Usually on Feb 3 you'd think that heavy precip and 850's under would be a good bet for snow, but now the 850 is flirting with us as well. Maybe, for once, the Euro will make us feel better.

What is your bar for success? 2-3" in a couple hours?

The GFS verbatim looks like a touch lesser version of 12/5/09.... DCA 0.3", upper NW an inch or two, and >3" only when you get west of the fall line. There's not enough precip on it (we easily matched 0.5" in 6 hours in 12/5/09) to even begin to compare to 1/26/11. 

The NAM is more promising if you want the real snow bomb, but it's the NAM. 

I DO NOT like folks riding the line this far out. The trend is not our friend and I think we will end up with MD being in better spot.. I know it is timing and it gets too easy in systems like this to have it fail and not work out! Get that Rain Snow line 50 miles or so South and we start feeling a bit more comfortable.. but, unless it was 2010, bet on a less favorable situation. We have seen already the snow line shift from Central VA to our doorstep... is it done? I hope so, but I would only feel better if EURO moved the line south and 0 followed in its tracks.

Winchester and up into MD... I think this is gonna be yours again.. I AM NOT In a bad spot, but I think folks have every reason to worry if they were set on a snow storm in Northern VA/DC South and east.

EDIT: I realize the response to this as I read it is ... "Thanks Mr Obvious! That is what the majority is saying!" ... Well I agree with the majority! =)

Archived