joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Banter

POWERSTROKE

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why is everyone trying to be a dick? At least I'm not clogging up the main threads with my amateurish questions.

Don't pay attention to the LR storm.

But the near term sensible weather. You will probably see light flurries/snow later on into this evening in the Huntsville area.

Why is everyone trying to be a dick? At least I'm not clogging up the main threads with my amateurish questions.

IMBY - in my back yard. Questions are generally not received well. If you read through the threads your answer is very likely to be in there. You come across as a dick by not reading and expecting someone to do it for you.

I see that. Even has a little something for west of 85 on Monday before the big one Tuesday night. I think this is a legit threat. We're inside 5 days now and the models are staying consistent.

Those of us in the central Piedmont get absolutely boomed on in that 12Z Euro.  We'll see if it holds....

What is hard to tell here is if this is snow or sleet in NE Ga/western Carolinas. The 850s are in the -1 to -4 range for most, but the 700-850mb thicknesses are pretty warm (1550m) which is usually indicative of a warm nose somewhere, probably above 850. But accuweather soundings aren't updated yet so I cant tell.

If the soundings are below freezing, would easily be 6-12 inches of snow from the Triad to CLT to upsate SC and extreme NE Ga and west and north.

For Triangle, I would ascertain 2-4 inches of snow to significant freezing rain sleet (maybe 0.5-0.6 inches of freezing rain/sleet). Last 0.25 inch of QPF or so would likely be rain or freezing grain with temps around 32-33.

Keep in mind, with a wedge established the models may break it down to early.

2 to 4 inches of snow with freezing rain on top. We'd be stuck at home for days.

IMBY - in my back yard. Questions are generally not received well. If you read through the threads your answer is very likely to be in there. You come across as a dick by not reading and expecting someone to do it for you.

I have read through the threads. There isn't any mention of Alabama. I didn't know if it was because there aren't many on here from Alabama or what. That is why I came to the banter thread.

I have read through the threads. There isn't any mention of Alabama. I didn't know if it was because there aren't many on here from Alabama or what. That is why I came to the banter thread.

I'm just having fun with you. You can always check out the TN Valley Forum if you cant find what you need here. We do cross post. 

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BIRMINGHAM AL
115 PM CST THU FEB 6 2014

...A MIXTURE OF WINTER PRECIPITATION WILL MOVE INTO THE
SOUTHWEST PORTIONS OF CENTRAL ALABAMA THIS AFTERNOON...

.A BAND OF RAIN...MIXED WITH SLEET AND SNOW...WAS MOVING EASTWARD
ACROSS SOUTHERN MISSISSIPPI...AND WILL MOVE ACROSS SOUTHWEST
ALABAMA THIS AFTERNOON. THE HEAVIEST PRECIPITATION WILL TRACK
ACROSS SOUTHWEST ALABAMA...BUT THE PRECIPITATION SHIELD WILL
EXTEND FAR ENOUGH NORTH TO AFFECT SOUTHERN SUMTER AND MARENGO
COUNTIES. THE PRECIPITATION MAY BEGIN AS A MIXTURE OF RAIN AND
SLEET...AND THEN TRANSITION TO ALL SNOW FOR AN HOUR OR TWO.

ALZ030-039-070000-
/O.NEW.KBMX.WW.Y.0003.140206T2000Z-140207T0000Z/
SUMTER-MARENGO-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...LIVINGSTON...DEMOPOLIS...LINDEN
115 PM CST THU FEB 6 2014

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM CST THIS
EVENING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BIRMINGHAM HAS ISSUED A WINTER
WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SLEET AND SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6
PM CST THIS EVENING.

* TIMING...FROM 2 PM THROUGH 6 PM.

* LOCATION...GENERALLY SOUTH OF A YORK TO LINDEN LINE.

* ACCUMULATIONS...UP TO ONE-HALF INCH POSSIBLE.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOW AND
SLEET WILL CAUSE TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR SLIPPERY
ROADS AND LIMITED VISIBILITIES...AND USE CAUTION WHILE DRIVING.

Yeah, Alabama is not well represented here. NC leads the way with SC and GA running neck and neck. Look at the red tagged posts, I think you can even filter to view just them. They tend to be more expansive in their opinions and thoughts including more areas. Most regular posters focus on their own area and don't even look at other areas.

I finally got a look at the euro...Perfect track for CLT.  For RDU I would prefer it a tad east but the stronger high was encouraging.

I posted this in the other thread, but the Euro tracked the low right into the wedge. Doesn't that look weird? Maybe there was some redevelopment between the 24 panels on ewall, but I couldn't tell.

Since this is banter....

THIS IS NOT A FORECAST, THIS IS MY FANTASY. NOT SAYING THIS IS GOING TO HAPPEN.

Just wanted to be clear. :-)

attachicon.gifecmwf_snowdepth_nc_28.png

Funny thing about these maps is I am always right on the 5 to 6 line. RaleighWx said it actually showed 2 to 4 for RDU, which is still pretty good, and ice on top. That would be more of a mess than just 6 inches of snow.

I posted this in the other thread, but the Euro tracked the low right into the wedge. Doesn't that look weird? Maybe there was some redevelopment between the 24 panels on ewall, but I couldn't tell.

That is strange...I have 6 hr panels and did not see any redevelopment. We'll have to see if that coninues to happend in future runs. I was also happy to see the euro didn't have the snow blocker cutting across the lakes!

That is strange...I have 6 hr panels and did not see any redevelopment. We'll have to see if that coninues to happend in future runs. I was also happy to see the euro didn't have the snow blocker cutting across the lakes!

Yep, THAT is good news.

I'm a little worried that the Euro might be overdoing the strength of the HP at this range.  BUT if that is not the case and IF the low moves in at the progged time, then I would bet that the track would correct slightly to the east.  But that's too many ifs ands and buts.

Yep, THAT is good news.

I'm a little worried that the Euro might be overdoing the strength of the HP at this range.  BUT if that is not the case and IF the low moves in at the progged time, then I would bet that the track would correct slightly to the east.  But that's too many ifs ands and buts.

It was the strongest one...The 12z euro had a 1036, 12z cmc had 1032, and the 12z gfs had a 1028.  The gfs slid further east than the other ops.

Check out the photos in this link of the ice storm this past weekend in Slovenia. Looks like a couple of inches of ice - incredible damage:

http://www.businessinsider.com/photos-of-ice-storm-in-slovenia-2014-2

Awesome photos!  Thanks for sharing.  Somebody had already posted the video, which I watched.  That is amazing amounts of ice.  Who knows?  Perhaps after next week, some people might confuse the pictures with NGA and SC...

Archived