joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter '13/'14 Banter/Complaint Thread Part 2

Powerball

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

11.5" was the best guess with Jan 5. Winds were strong in the second half of that one for here (gusts into the low-mid 40's). 

Thats the problem. Even the most experienced weather observer has issues with wind. Any big snowstorm thats accompanied by strong winds you are basically guarenteed to get both inflated and lowballed reports. Then of course you get the uneven snowpack distribution. And wind is not comfortable when its bitterly cold either.

Thats the problem. Even the most experienced weather observer has issues with wind. Any big snowstorm thats accompanied by strong winds you are basically guarenteed to get both inflated and lowballed reports. Then of course you get the uneven snowpack distribution. And wind is not comfortable when its bitterly cold either.

Yep. That's the thing about the all-time snowstorms, that seem to always involve big winds. I mean, how much snow really fell? I guess you can say that about moderate, or even minor, windy storms too. Always has kind of bugged me, being such a weather stat weenie.

11.5" was the best guess with Jan 5. Winds were strong in the second half of that one for here (gusts into the low-mid 40's). 

Yuck.. Yeah they arrived here with the lake stuff as the system snows were pulling out. Only ventured out briefly the next day. Was freaking brutal.

Yep. That's the thing about the all-time snowstorms, that seem to always involve big winds. I mean, how much snow really fell? I guess you can say that about moderate, or even minor, windy storms too. Always has kind of bugged me, being such a weather stat weenie.

Blizz of 78 comes to mind. Even GHD.. Doubt there was much blowing snow with 67 as that was a wetter snow. Atleast around here it was based on 28.6" snow vs liquid report of 2.86 and temps of 28-32.

Yuck.. Yeah they arrived here with the lake stuff as the system snows were pulling out. Only ventured out briefly the next day. Was freaking brutal.

Haha, I enjoyed the big snow/wind combo in that storm. Like I said, it's pretty much the only way we do it here. 10"+ snowstorms and little wind do not exist for LAF.

Blizz of 78 comes to mind. Even GHD.. Doubt there was much blowing snow with 67 as that was a wetter snow. Atleast around here it was based on 28.6" snow vs liquid report of 2.86 and temps of 28-32.

Agree about 78 and GHD. Can probably throw Jan 1979 in there too, for BTL. There was a lot of wind with Jan 1967 for Chicago. But the snowfall/liquid combo was 23.0"/2.40".

Haha, I enjoyed the big snow/wind combo in that storm. Like I said, it's pretty much the only way we do it here. 10"+ snowstorms and little wind do not exist for LAF.

How about the December 1973 storm...that might be one of the better examples of a big one that didn't have a lot of wind.

Yeah i got to have my fun in it the day of with my son. Have had a couple in that 10-12" range without much wind here. But yeah they are harder to come by.

Agree about 78 and GHD. Can probably throw Jan 1979 in there too, for BTL. There was a lot of wind with Jan 1967 for Chicago. But the snowfall/liquid combo was 23.0"/2.40".

Oh yeah.. Forgot about Jan 79. That is definitely a qualifier. THAT was the main difference between that and Jan 5th here. Near duplicate amounts but 79 had the wind during the event vs tail end with Jan 5th. Both were cold snow storms.

The one makes for the fifth 6"+ storm for the LAF area since last March. Incredible. :)

And we've had one or two others with 5 or 5 and change.  Unreal stretch for a place that averages just under 1 per year.

Just 6" away from the big dog record.  Kinda feels like the guy in the home run derby who still has a lot of outs to play with.  Let's do it.

And we've had one or two others with 5 or 5 and change.  Unreal stretch for a place that averages just under 1 per year.

Just 6" away from the big dog record.  Kinda feels like the guy in the home run derby who still has a lot of outs to play with.  Let's do it.

Right, some near "misses" too. 

It's time to put this one out of reach. :guitar:

I have to say I'm getting tired of the endless cold weather.  I'll gladly take a big snowstorm sometime in February, but I'm looking forward to a warmer pattern and a real thaw.

Ditto that without the snow.  Ready for spring.  Don't mind the snow, but this cold has been brutal.  It's even been too cold to really enjoy the snow, save a few days around the new year.

Archived