joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter '13/'14 Banter/Complaint Thread Part 2

Powerball

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lots of models were wrong about this one....win some, lose some, and all but the Euro hasn't been as terrible this winter as you'd think by all the bashing lately.

Compared to previous winters it took a giant step backwards which is unfortunate because it carried a reputation of being really good too long into this winter.

It's kind of amazing to be sitting here with above average snowfall and below normal temperatures for the season, and yet almost everything has gone wrong for this area, this storm definitely included.  I think it's the last straw for me staying in the North.  I'd rather leave winter behind altogether.

So sick and tired of losing yet another snowstorm the Indiana crew. Jan 5th all over again.

It's not really about missing another storm.  It's about how utterly not fun it is when you invest too much time into the expectation of something that never quite happens.  I know I should be happy about how things have gone, but I'm not, and I'm not sure it's worth it.  In fact, I know it's not.  Hobbies and interests should at least give you some kind of enjoyment, and the longer I do it, the less I really get that return.  Maybe it's just a bad location, or maybe I'm just getting older, but at some point, you have to cut your losses.  It's been building for years and I'm there right now.  For me, the magic is over.

yesterday Harry made a post of how jealous he was for us because all the models had the same solution for days and therefore there was less stress.  As though we were sitting back counting the inches for days.  Clearly he has no idea what it's like to live in central ohio when a storm is modeled coming up from the southwest.  :lol:   I was going to respond at how ridiculous his assertion was but I was surfing on my cell.   

I posted this in the ohio thread but it belongs here.  Maybe some of the mets can respond.

I have one question....why is it that us weenies who are hobbiest were scratching our heads over ILN's all snow call yesterday, and we have day jobs?    That's a serious question.   IF this does become an icestorm or rainstorm instead of a snowstorm, (which looks very likely), shame on ILN.  They clearly discounted, trends, history, model biases, etc. and spewed out the gfs.   Why do we need humans in that office than, why not have an automated forecast generated by a blend of a couple of different models?  Rant over.

It's not really about missing another storm.  It's about how utterly not fun it is when you invest too much time into the expectation of something that never quite happens.  I know I should be happy about how things have gone, but I'm not, and I'm not sure it's worth it.  In fact, I know it's not.  Hobbies and interests should at least give you some kind of enjoyment, and the longer I do it, the less I really get that return.  Maybe it's just a bad location, or maybe I'm just getting older, but at some point, you have to cut your losses.  It's been building for years and I'm there right now.  For me, the magic is over.

I am almost there with you..12 hours out and the change is riduculous..i know better to latch on to a storm forcasting 6-10 inches of snow coming from the SW..It use to be a lot of fun..but as you said you can take only so much dissapointment!!

I am almost there with you..12 hours out and the change is riduculous..i know better to latch on to a storm forcasting 6-10 inches of snow coming from the SW..It use to be a lot of fun..but as you said you can take only so much dissapointment!!

there's a reason why March'08s and December'04s only happen every few years.   We do much better with west to east or nw to se systems where the tongue gets depressed.

yesterday Harry made a post of how jealous he was for us because all the models had the same solution for days and therefore there was less stress.  As though we were sitting back counting the inches for days.  Clearly he has no idea what it's like to live in central ohio when a storm is modeled coming up from the southwest.  :lol:   I was going to respond at how ridiculous his assertion was but I was surfing on my cell.   

And you were saying? :popcorn:

How much has fallen? :weight_lift:

Enjoy it! :)

60.1" is an A+, less than that is an A.

If we fall short of the all-time record then I'd definitely go A.  Besides that, I can find a few things to nipick about such as the relatively quick warmup/meltdown after the January 5 storm, lack of subzero highs and extreme lows during the cold spells and lack of a truly epic storm.  But if the big dog goes down then I may be able to overlook those things and go with A+.   

If we fall short of the all-time record then I'd definitely go A.  Besides that, I can find a few things to nipick about such as the relatively quick warmup/meltdown after the January 5 storm, lack of subzero highs and extreme lows during the cold spells and lack of a truly epic storm.  But if the big dog goes down then I may be able to overlook those things and go with A+.   

Not sure it's possible to wrap all those things up into one winter for here. ;)

Alas, I kind of agree. Plus, despite our surplus of snow...we've kind of sucked at snow cover/depth retention. But in the end, the big dog season snow record is my main objective. Beat it, and it's an easy A+. 

I must be the only one who really enjoys a heavy duty snow storm without the wind. I'll take a big snow any day without the wind vs with it.

Heavy duty snowstorms for LAF, pretty much don't exist without some kind of decent wind. I can take it either way though. Only issue I have with wind, is getting accurate snow measurements.

Not sure it's possible to wrap all those things up into one winter for here. ;)

Alas, I kind of agree. Plus, despite our surplus of snow...we've kind of sucked at snow cover/depth retention. But in the end, the big dog season snow record is my main objective. Beat it, and it's an easy A+. 

Well we actually had a chance with the cold but kinda got screwed by bad timing as far as the highs. 

How we break the big dog record (if it happens) may factor in to my grade.  If we struggle to get there and just barely squeak by then I'm not sure how I'd feel about that.  It would be a little disappointing if it plays out like that considering we're only in early February.

Well we actually had a chance with the cold but kinda got screwed by bad timing as far as the highs. 

How we break the big dog record (if it happens) may factor in to my grade.  If we struggle to get there and just barely squeak by then I'm not sure how I'd feel about that.  It would be a little disappointing if it plays out like that considering we're only in early February.

So like...we get 0.6" on the morning of April 14, to break the record, but it melts by noon. No good? :lol:

Heavy duty snowstorms for LAF, pretty much don't exist without some kind of decent wind. I can take it either way though. Only issue I have with wind, is getting accurate snow measurements.

Yeah measuring it sucks for one.

How much did you guys get with Jan 5th and the winds were?

Yes it got windy here but at the very end. It was the perfect storm for me. Probably the ceiling for big snow with little to no wind around here.

Yeah measuring it sucks for one.

How much did you guys get with Jan 5th and the winds were?

Yes it got windy here but at the very end. It was the perfect storm for me. Probably the ceiling for big snow with little to no wind around here.

11.5" was the best guess with Jan 5. Winds were strong in the second half of that one for here (gusts into the low-mid 40's). 

Archived