Newest Member
    joxey
Winter '13/'14 Banter/Complaint Thread Part 2

Powerball

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:)

Glad you got something decent today. Maybe late February and March will be really good for MKE. Hope so...

Hopefully its good for all.. I want a repeat of last spring but bring the big dog snows (I know climo doesn't favor that but a weenie can dream) south.  The nauseating whining for spring on here  and in society in early Feb every yr is like clockwork no matter how bad or good the winter has been.   O how we frigid fairies need to pray next week is just a minor nuisance and is replaced with 6 more weeks of winter.  I'll be ready for a little break by then and the severe snobs can come in from the cold and take shelter until the board goes back in to its winter mode glory.

Hopefully its good for all.. I want a repeat of last spring but bring the big dog snows (I know climo doesn't favor that but a weenie can dream) south.  The nauseating whining for spring on here  and in society in early Feb every yr is like clockwork no matter how bad or good the winter has been.   O how we frigid fairies need to pray next week is just a minor nuisance and is replaced with 6 more weeks of winter.  I'll be ready for a little break by then and the severe snobs can come in from the cold and take shelter until the board goes back in to its winter mode glory.

Euro and the GFS both agree on a torch from Wed-Saturday and then deep trough of cold. Looks cold from Feb 23rd through early March at least.

Well, we got a big dog here late last March...so maybe you mean north. ;)

We're in the minority right now...still wishing for cold and snow to continue. I realize time is running out for LAF, but I really don't want to be stuck just shy of 60" of snow for the season. Hopefully something pops up in the future, and we can cross that magical mark. After that, I'm good with whatever snow I can get. It'd be nice to see MKE really cash in March, as they have in the past. As if it was so easy to tell weather how we wanted it to play out. :D

Just saw that WGN isn't showing the 9pm news on WGN America anymore, so none of us outside of the city get to see Skilling on TV anymore at night.  Definitely an end of an era, and an asinine move by some corporate db that is detached from the fan base.  Probably the brother of the TWC corporate dbs.

Ok snowstorms, here's the average season snowfall for Indianapolis per PDO phase, using this as a guideline: http://jisao.washington.edu/pdo/

1890-1924 cool: 22.9"

1925-1946 warm: 16.3"

1947-1976 cool: 23.3"

1977-1999 warm: 27.4"

2000-2013 cool?: 26.3"

So really, -PDO is better...but the late 70's through late 90's +PDO threw a wrench into that line of thought, for Indy anyways.

Awesome! Sorry for the late reply man.

Actually the PDO shifted back in 2007 as it was predominately positive through 2006. Hmm, based on what you have given me, its hard to finalize a conclusion when your area averaged the greatest amount during a +PDO. However, like you said yourself, a -PDO is better for your area than a +PDO and that could be said for the entire sub-forum as well. On average, how many above normal Winters did you have during the last Warm phase? Thanks! :)

Statistically speaking, the next 20 or so years will probably feature some of the best Winters of your lifetime if climatology holds true. Fun times ahead! :D

Awesome! Sorry for the late reply man.

Actually the PDO shifted back in 2007 as it was predominately positive through 2006. Hmm, based on what you have given me, its hard to finalize a conclusion when your area averaged the greatest amount during a +PDO. However, like you said yourself, a -PDO is better for your area than a +PDO and that could be said for the entire sub-forum as well. On average, how many above normal Winters did you have during the last Warm phase? Thanks! :)

Statistically speaking, the next 20 or so years will probably feature some of the best Winters of your lifetime if climatology holds true. Fun times ahead! :D

Last warm phase, 1977-78 to 2005-2006 winters if you will. Again, this is for Indianapolis...which is south of here, but has legit snowfall numbers. Using the longterm mean snowfall of 23.0" for Indy...16 above average and 13 below.

And just for the heck of it, here's the season totals for IND since we flipped.

2006-07: 25.8"

2007-08: 23.3"

2008-09: 24.3"

2009-10: 33.0"

2010-11: 37.4"

2011-12: 9.8"

2012-13: 34.5"

2013-14: 45.1" (thru today)

Last warm phase, 1977-78 to 2005-2006 winters if you will. Again, this is for Indianapolis...which is south of here, but has legit snowfall numbers. Using the longterm mean snowfall of 23.0" for Indy...16 above average and 13 below.

And just for the heck of it, here's the season totals for IND since we flipped.

2006-07: 25.8"

2007-08: 23.3"

2008-09: 24.3"

2009-10: 33.0"

2010-11: 37.4"

2011-12: 9.8"

2012-13: 34.5"

2013-14: 45.1" (thru today)

Wow, you guys have been on a roll lately. Impressive to say the least! :D. Goes back to my original point about what lies ahead for your area. It'll be interesting to see what happens when the AMO flips as well. Both have a strong correlation to what happens in our region, temperature and precipitation wise. 

Just out of curiosity, whats your snowiest Winter on record? haha

Wow, you guys have been on a roll lately. Impressive to say the least! :D. Goes back to my original point about what lies ahead for your area. It'll be interesting to see what happens when the AMO flips as well. Both have a strong correlation to what happens in our region, temperature and precipitation wise. 

Just out of curiosity, whats your snowiest Winter on record? haha

For Indianapolis, the snowiest season on record is 58.2" in 1981-82.

The "official unofficial" snowiest season for the Lafayette area is 60.0" in 1977-78.

I've had 58.2" here this winter, so pretty close to an all-timer for us in 2013-14. 

Just saw that WGN isn't showing the 9pm news on WGN America anymore, so none of us outside of the city get to see Skilling on TV anymore at night.  Definitely an end of an era, and an asinine move by some corporate db that is detached from the fan base.  Probably the brother of the TWC corporate dbs.

That stinks! Well you can still watch it online if you want. 

There will likely be some backlash from that move. I know the nation wide viewer base is pretty large.

This winter will go down as a cold, but a rather forgetable one here.  3rd season in a row without a single 6" snow is asinine beyond belief, especially considering the luck of so many so close by.  Normally with the amount of seasonal snow, non-stop tracking of systems, and arctic outbreaks this year would be a solid B+, maybe even an A.  However, I'm giving it a solid F- for failure to deliver a system that has balls for this area. 

This winter will go down as a cold, but a rather forgetable one here.  3rd season in a row without a single 6" snow is asinine beyond belief, especially considering the luck of so many so close by.  Normally with the amount of seasonal snow, non-stop tracking of systems, and arctic outbreaks this year would be a solid B+, maybe even an A.  However, I'm giving it a solid F- for failure to deliver a system that has balls for this area. 

It's only VD. Lots of time for amends, especially where you're located, where I'm guessing April snow is the rule.

I would give this winter a high C grade.  Normally a winter that could be approaching 60" by the end would get a higher grade, but the failure to produce any greater than 1"/hr rates at any point this seasons is utterly disappointing, and the same was difficult to come by last season as well.  Combine this with the uselessly cold temps, and that's what you get.  If Powerball lived here this winter, he'd probably be on the verge of getting banned again because, other than the lack of a meltdown, it's been a worse winter than Detroit in every category, and with colder temps to boot.

great white christmas, early and thick ice on the lakes and snow cover days gives it an automatic B for me.. probably a better yr for snowmobiling than 2007/08 and the yr after.. If I had a sled that would bump the winter up to an A.  I had enough short periods of  good rates to satisfy me and 3 alone today.  Only thing that sucked is the close misses and lack of any real tracking excitement.  Still time to get the grade up to an A especially after the last 2 clunkers.

Squirrel just looked at me....looked at the ground....looked at me and said "wtf?" .... he then climbed up a tree and started eating the bark...

Haha. I noticed some squirrels today climbing around during the peak snowfall. It's not that cold out, why not!

Last night I saw the first raccoon that I've seen since in 2.5 months.

EDIT: I think I'm done with winter now.

Haha. I noticed some squirrels today climbing around during the peak snowfall. It's not that cold out, why not!

lol, same here (raccoon observation, obviously I'm not done with winter). Family of them walking on my fence. I clap my hands to get their attention, 15 second stare down, they turn around and go the other way.

They're cute but too many incidents with them getting into the garbage.

Defintely more wildlife showing up...

Watched a pack of yotes chasing down something at the farm over the weekend in broad daylight....they looked like dogs swimming in water trying to run in the fields out there...

There are way too many of them there in recent years...so I'm ok with them strugglin' a bit

prolly work on my tan a little bit today with the full sunshine and fresh snowpack....mid 30's today?!  lovely

Was going to come in here a b**ch a bit about only getting 3" but I had a change of heart. Snowdepth in my parent's backyard if up to my lower thighs and it looks as wintry as it's been since 2010-11, or maybe 2008-09. After shoveling the driveway I just watched in amazement the scenery before me for a good 10 minutes. 

I'm realizing that some of us (myself included) get too bogged down in the numbers.

Archived