• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter '13/'14 Banter/Complaint Thread Part 2

Powerball

You're having a 2010-11 LAF style winter...where we literally nickel and dimed our way to 49.0". Not one 6"+ event here that entire season. Well, GHD be damned with its mixed hell... 

Gotta be rare for both our areas to get 45"+ with no single system snows over 6".  Would be interested in how many seasons around here we've seen over 45" without a 6" event.  I'm guessing very few.

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are the top 7 snowstorms in this 77.3" nickel and dime winter at Detroit:

11.1" Dec 31-Jan 2

11.0" Jan 4-5

8.0" Feb 4-5

7.7" Dec 14

6.4" Jan 26-27

4.4" Feb 17-18

4.1" Feb 1

Nickel dimes events is anything under 2" and that term is way over used and now 4-6" is a nickle and dime event  :axe:

Reading Josh's and Tim's post about never living to see another winter like they're both experiencing makes me see the upside of missing out on a historic winter locally. That is, the possibility that the best winter of my life is still to come.

Very true for you as your area is not getting the EPIC winter we are.  The amount of records being broken in just one winter here is incredible.   Now we will see some of these records fall in the future and some awesome winters ahead but it is not likely LAF to DTW will see a single winter do what this one is currently doing.  Well unless an ice age is upon us :lmao:

Very true for you as your area is not getting the EPIC winter we are.  The amount of records being broken in just one winter here is incredible.   Now we will see some of these records fall in the future and some awesome winters ahead but it is not likely LAF to DTW will see a single winter do what this one is currently doing.  Well unless an ice age is upon us :lmao:

Or a future move to Keweenaw

Been there done that for 5 winters :rambo:;):mapsnow:  :lol:

If I moved it would be near Bo ... love Boyne country!! :ski::snowing:

This area is def great, especially if you get off the main roads. it gets real backwoods fast. plenty of snow (average more than the Soo, and this year besting Marquette by nearly 50" and in some areas in Leelanau, 80"). It all becomes relative at some point tho. Suddenly a 100" of snow isn't as impressive as it would have been 2 years ago for me.

I also like that the population continues to decrease up here. Rarely see anything new being built locally unless it's a million dollar house up in the resorts of Charlevoix. All that said, if I had this move to do over again, I'd have gone north of the bridge.

This area is def great, especially if you get off the main roads. it gets real backwoods fast. plenty of snow (average more than the Soo, and this year besting Marquette by nearly 50" and in some areas in Leelanau, 80"). It all becomes relative at some point tho. Suddenly a 100" of snow isn't as impressive as it would have been 2 years ago for me.

I also like that the population continues to decrease up here. Rarely see anything new being built locally unless it's a million dollar house up in the resorts of Charlevoix. All that said, if I had this move to do over again, I'd have gone north of the bridge.

If I had to move there. It would be around the Traverse City area I would have to have a little bit of city life. Probably just west of it where its 300-400 feet higher then TC.

If I had to move there. It would be around the Traverse City area I would have to have a little bit of city life. Probably just west of it where its 300-400 feet higher then TC.

Southern Leelanau around Maple City, 150-170" almost yearly. Traverse to me is a nightmare in the Summer. Too many tourist and festivals.

Here is Ellsworth, no state roads come through here... it's all County roads... Winter is soooo quiet.

We had 49?  Sure didn't seem like it.

Big December that winter got us off to a fast start. The MSP-cyclone-LAF hybrid clipper pipeline ran hot. DJF had a lot of "small" events. Also, you don't remember being pissed, as we watched a couple of March 2011 events whiff us to the south...denying us a 50" season?

My way too detailed grading of that winter: http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/15448-the-winter-that-was/?p=558571

Reading Josh's and Tim's post about never living to see another winter like they're both experiencing makes me see the upside of missing out on a historic winter locally. That is, the possibility that the best winter of my life is still to come.

Well, relative to my backyard...I may not see anything like this again. I mean there's locations within earshot of here that are 70"+ on the season...which is pretty crazy. But yeah, you're a young man. Plenty of time for you to see a truly historic winter.

Add me to that as well, I tried to talk my wife to move to Houghton but she was having none of it lol.

Agree about the future. We will have cold winters, we will have snowy winters, we will break records of wintry things, we will have big snowstorms that manage to drop 18" over most of SE MI (but a donut hole of 11.9" on Powerballs neighborhood).....but the bar has been set so high for ALL things winter this year that I dont think they will all come together in the same winter ever again. Everytime I go to the park it reminds me of hiking in late winter in the U.P., the snow is so deep.

The guy wants a 14-20 incher, made that very clear. Nothing anyone says is going to change his grading system. I don't know why anyone wastes time trying to talk him out of it.

20 inch storms are 50 year events here, I have yet to surpass 16 inches ever in my 35 years on this planet. The 16 inch total occurred on Jan 5th and Dec 11th 2000.

I'm taking a trip out to the Yellowstone area late Summer. I'm not opposed to living in elevation :D

Make sure you go to the Teton NP below Yellowstone.  I like it 10 times better than Yellowstone.  Yellowstone is a must if you have never been there.  It is packed with people and tourist traps.  Tetons are a lot more natural and the hiking and Mountains are spectacular!!  One of my sisters lives in Jackson WY!

Make sure you go to the Teton NP below Yellowstone.  I like it 10 times better than Yellowstone.  Yellowstone is a must if you have never been there.  It is packed with people and tourist traps.  Tetons are a lot more natural and the hiking and Mountains are spectacular!!  One of my sisters lives in Jackson WY!

thanks for the tip! does she live in the valley or in some higher elevation. what's her typical winter?

Agree about the future. We will have cold winters, we will have snowy winters, we will break records of wintry things, we will have big snowstorms that manage to drop 18" over most of SE MI (but a donut hole of 11.9" on Powerballs neighborhood).....but the bar has been set so high for ALL things winter this year that I dont think they will all come together in the same winter ever again. Everytime I go to the park it reminds me of hiking in late winter in the U.P., the snow is so deep.

Driving down my dirt road is just like the Norther Lower/UP right now.  The drifts and snow banks are taller then the vehicles.  Each corner you stop you can't see around the corner at all until your 1/2 way into the other road.

thanks for the tip! does she live in the valley or in some higher elevation. what's her typical winter?

She lives in Jackson the city/town.    She is not up in the mountains.  The 'Valley' is where Jackson Hole ski resort is located.  It is very confusing.   Anyone living in Jackson hates to here that they living in Jackson Hole.  They will correct you ... :lmao:

Winter there: Lots of Cold and lots of snow (but like anywhere some crappy winters too).  Some winters begin in October (sometime late Sept).  Some don't end until late May even beginning June (yes she has sent me June snowfall pictures).  Summers are 60s and 70s.

A little too ambitious with that one.

Big December that winter got us off to a fast start. The MSP-cyclone-LAF hybrid clipper pipeline ran hot. DJF had a lot of "small" events. Also, you don't remember being pissed, as we watched a couple of March 2011 events whiff us to the south...denying us a 50" season?

My way too detailed grading of that winter: http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/15448-the-winter-that-was/?p=558571

Ah yes

He used the plural. "snowstorms". Like he's expecting more than 1. :lmao:

I'm in the same boat but I'm resigned to the fact that I'll never see an 18"+ snowstorm in Toronto.

Chicago and Madson both didn't see one for YEARS but then within a few years had additional 18"+ storms.  So I would not be surprised.

Your is coming too.  I was surprise to get mine!!

Archived