• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Winter '13/'14 Banter/Complaint Thread Part 2

Powerball

Very difficult to fairly give this winter an "A" without a Big Dog, Ice Storm (not that I want one) or TSSN, as an "A" implies perfection. 

Also, we have yet to get this type of snowstorm as the flow this season has been too progressive and northern stream dominant (sort of had it on 2/1/14 before it changed to rain and all melted away). 

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm realizing that some of us (myself included) get too bogged down in the numbers.

Bingo.  The older I get the more I just enjoy.  I stopped measuring a few years back.  Now I try to just enjoy.  I can't change what is going to happen.  I can't wish cast anything into being. 

JB is right ... Enjoy the weather cause it is the ONLY weather you got.

Funny thing is I used to be a JB hater and now I totally enjoy his free weekly update.  Yeah he is out there sometimes but it is entertaining for me now!!

This pending rainstorm ... I can't change it but I can try to enjoy it (could make for an incredible core ... maybe near 6" by this time Friday).

Was going to come in here a b**ch a bit about only getting 3" but I had a change of heart. Snowdepth in my parent's backyard if up to my lower thighs and it looks as wintry as it's been since 2010-11, or maybe 2008-09. After shoveling the driveway I just watched in amazement the scenery before me for a good 10 minutes.

I'm realizing that some of us (myself included) get too bogged down in the numbers.

I don't measure either, I just use the NWS employee reports in Howell to list my totals. I measure 6+ inch storms with a good eyeball, but anything under that isn't worth my time.

Above average snow, cold temps, yet you refuse to give it an A? Some people here are picky. 

Fine. You're entitled to your opinion.

I prefer the term "tough grader." It's like grading an essay. How it's written (I.E. how the above average snow was achieved, the extent of the cold temps, etc.) is just as important as what was written. 

I would give this winter a high C grade.  Normally a winter that could be approaching 60" by the end would get a higher grade, but the failure to produce any greater than 1"/hr rates at any point this seasons is utterly disappointing, and the same was difficult to come by last season as well.  Combine this with the uselessly cold temps, and that's what you get.  If Powerball lived here this winter, he'd probably be on the verge of getting banned again because, other than the lack of a meltdown, it's been a worse winter than Detroit in every category, and with colder temps to boot.

Not every winter is going to have a big snowstorm. You guys got way above average snowfall, record breaking temps on several occasions, LM that is iced over, lakes have been iced over for who knows how long. It's everything you look for in a winter. Obviously, we didn't get that big storm yet, but with snowcover nearly every day, record breaking temps, it's easily an A winter. If we can get a big dog, I would bump it up to A+, but still..a solid A.

I'm over-ruling his grade. It's an A.

If you like winter and live in SE Michigan, it's an A. Your vote has been invalidated.

Totally agree ... this winter is shattering records left and right ... A grade winter is locked.  An A+ grade is pending/likely but depends on how March goes.  March is a winter month in MI.

I'm over-ruling his grade. It's an A.

If you like winter and live in SE Michigan, it's an A. Your vote has been invalidated.

Really, are you kidding? :lmao:

"SE Michigan" is defined as such a huge area. Heck, there are a few seasons where Saginaw could have well above average snowfall while Detroit is well below average. So that's an even funkier way to base a grade on. 

I completely understand where you guys are coming from though. I truly do. But I've already explained the reasoning behind my grade several times (and it's not JUST the lack of a big dog, although it's one major factor). To put things in perspective, had we got more of a Philadelphia-type winter (what all they've seen this season), this winter probably would received an "A."

If you guys grew up in the 1990s following storms well then u would think this an A+ winter. It doesn't get better than this. Detroit's at 77 inches of snow this year 1 inch away from second ever snowiest winter and it's February 18th. Anything under A grade is crap sorry. Detroit has had 3 8"+ events. One event of over 8" from 1994-1998 and only 5 in the 1990's Just to put it in perspective on what a fantastic winter this has been. You guys have no clue how lousy winters can get around here.

If you guys grew up in the 1990s following storms well then u would think this an A+ winter. It doesn't get better than this. Detroit's at 77 inches of snow this year 1 inch away from second ever snowiest winter and it's February 18th. Anything under A grade is crap sorry. Detroit has had 3 8"+ events. One event of over 8" from 1994-1998 and only 5 in the 1990's Just to put it in perspective on what a fantastic winter this has been.

Exactly ... soon we are going to start running out of records to break in just one winter!! :pimp:

I understand that.  My face-palm was due to his response to Jonger. 

Hopefully he can move to Philly and be one happy man. 

Great town, but their severe weather climo sucks. :lol:

I would probably be happy with simply a Chicago/Minneapolis climo, where the turn around time for massive snowstorms is about 15 years.

Really, are you kidding? :lmao:

"SE Michigan" is defined as such a huge area. Heck, there are a few seasons where Saginaw could have well above average snowfall while Detroit is well below average. So that's an even funkier way to base a grade on. 

You don't live in Saginaw, you live in an area that's looking to have a top 5 coldest and 2nd snowiest winter ON RECORD, with record snowcover duration.

February is looking to possibly end with double digit negative departures to top it off.

Unless you hate snow, which would result in a solid F grade on the winter, this winter is an A.

"A" is top 10 percentile scoring, this winter is top 5 coldest and 2nd snowiest or better in both winter categories.

Only 1978-1979 is heads and tails better than this winter.

Here are the top 7 snowstorms in this 77.3" nickel and dime winter at Detroit:

11.1" Dec 31-Jan 2

11.0" Jan 4-5

8.0" Feb 4-5

7.7" Dec 14

6.4" Jan 26-27

4.4" Feb 17-18

4.1" Feb 1

Sarcasm aside, you wont find a person who disagrees with Powerball more than me. But i have to say his personal grade is his personal grade, and no one can change it or void it :lol: He finds some fault, even a minor one, in any storm here, and I dont think he will ever have one he doesnt. So I think a B+ winter coming from him is as impressive as an A+ winter is to everyone else. I do have to say one thing though...with those videos of NC snow and talking of Philadelphias snowstorm earlier this winter, I should mention that DTW has had 2"/hr rates a few times, but they werent Philadelphia-esque dendrites (to be fair, it wasnt 32F either). ;)

For all other winter lovers in SE MI...its simple. You will NEVER see a winter like this again. The amount of snowfall, the number of significant snowstorms, the very deep lasting snowpack, the extreme cold. All those elements arent supposed to come together as perfectly as they have at the same time. To some people, perfection is several heavy wet snowstorms with big flakes....to me perfection is snowstorm after snowstorm, day after day of cold, day after day of deep snowcover, almost every snowfall overperforming, not seeing the grass at all, etc. There are harsh winters. And then there is 2013-14. Its incredible to think that there are 2 months left to add to the season snow total as well.

Here are the top 7 snowstorms in this 77.3" nickel and dime winter at Detroit:

11.1" Dec 31-Jan 2

11.0" Jan 4-5

8.0" Feb 4-5

7.7" Dec 14

6.4" Jan 26-27

4.4" Feb 17-18

4.1" Feb 1

Sarcasm aside, you wont find a person who disagrees with Powerball more than me. But i have to say his personal grade is his personal grade, and no one can change it or void it :lol: He finds some fault, even a minor one, in any storm here, and I dont think he will ever have one he doesnt. So I think a B+ winter coming from him is as impressive as an A+ winter is to everyone else. I do have to say one thing though...with those videos of NC snow and talking of Philadelphias snowstorm earlier this winter, I should mention that DTW has had 2"/hr rates a few times, but they werent Philadelphia-esque dendrites (to be fair, it wasnt 32F either). ;)

For all other winter lovers in SE MI...its simple. You will NEVER see a winter like this again. The amount of snowfall, the number of significant snowstorms, the very deep lasting snowpack, the extreme cold. All those elements arent supposed to come together as perfectly as they have at the same time. To some people, perfection is several heavy wet snowstorms with big flakes....to me perfection is snowstorm after snowstorm, day after day of cold, day after day of deep snowcover, almost every snowfall overperforming, not seeing the grass at all, etc. There are harsh winters. And then there is 2013-14. Its incredible to think that there are 2 months left to add to the season snow total as well.

Well said.

Not really a complaint here, but pointing out what I figured would happen is happening.  The pattern has finally shifted a bit, and now the next big storm to wrap up will lay the heavy snow down well northwest.  After significant snows missed southeast much of the winter now apparently they'll start to miss northwest again, just like earlier in the winter.  Island in the stream we are here in northwest IL.

Not really a complaint here, but pointing out what I figured would happen is happening.  The pattern has finally shifted a bit, and now the next big storm to wrap up will lay the heavy snow down well northwest.  After significant snows missed southeast much of the winter now apparently they'll start to miss northwest again, just like earlier in the winter.  Island in the stream we are here in northwest IL.

You're having a 2010-11 LAF style winter...where we literally nickel and dimed our way to 49.0". Not one 6"+ event here that entire season. Well, GHD be damned with its mixed hell... 

Over 60" of snow here this winter...deep winter scenery...something we probably won't see again here for a long time...a taste of what it's like to live in an actual wintry place. So really, what it tells me...is I have to move north at some point in my life. To hell with this tropical climate in the LAF. I was born to live and love snow and cold. :D

Archived