• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The winter that was

I'm going to catch some flak (*cough* Josh *cough*) for starting this thread so early, and I actually think it's more likely than not for a lot of us that we see some additional accumulations of snow/ice in the next month or so. However, except for maybe IA/MN/N WI, I doubt for most of us any additional winter weather would be significant enough to alter our assessment of the winter of 2010-11. And in case something extraordinary does develop, feel free to amend your post mortem.

Winter of 2010-11 in Etobicoke

Grade: C+

A good amount of snowfall in total (53.5" + probably a few more to come). That's typical of some of my B grade winters (00-01/04-05). However, not so much the lack of a big snowstorm dropped the grade, but more specifically, the fact that there were several big snowstorms this winter in the Great Lakes, and all found some way to detour me. Had it just been a winter where large snowstorms were not in the cards on a regional level, I could have tolerated that. But the barrage of near misses was too frustrating to award this winter a B grade. Crunching some of the peripheral numbers doesn't help much either. 42 days with accumulating snow is about average. Even assuming you add a few more in late March and early April, it's noting exceptional. Snowcover was fairly persistent, covering the ground for a total of 75 days, but that pales to 98 days in 2007-08, 86 days in 2004-05, etc. It was one of the colder winters in a while, but I give little weight to that factor in grading my winters.

Highlights: LES of December and early January. LES usually is just scraps for me, but this winter I had 3 events of more than 2" (5.8", 4.5", 2.4"). The pure LES event of January 8th from east winds off Lk Ontario was the best. Dropped that 5.8" amount, including 2 hours of +SN. Caught all the forecasters off guard.

Lowlights: Hard to pick the February 1-2 storm, seeing what it did in the western Lakes, but considering how consistent the models were at dropping 1"+ QPF here, the 5.7" of snow I received, really sucked the life out of that one. February 20th storm trending way south in the last 36 hours to take me from the bullseye to fringed also gets an hounorable mention.

So, enough with fooling ourselves that this winter has a lot more to offer. Let's here your assessments of the winter that was.

Winter 2010-2011 Summary up to 3/15/11 for Metro Detroit

November:

November was pretty benign around here with only trace amount of snowfall. Expectations aren’t high for November, so no big deal.

December:

The Largest Storm to impact Metro Detroit occurred on December 12. This storm looked promising on the models for quite a few days as a possible significant snowstorm. However, 2-3 days prior to the storm, the models showed a more northerly track, severely limiting any possible accumulating snowfall. However, the models gradually shifted south, focusing on a track of a strong low pressure from IA to Northern IL. The unexpected aspect about this storm system was the development of a secondary area of low pressure that formed and deepened as it moved NE over Lake Erie during the day. The storm began with a period of rain, but in the early morning hours of the 12th, the rain quickly changed to snow as temperatures hovered around freezing throughout the day. The snow, given the wet ground and low ratios didn’t accumulate well. However, moderate to heavy wet snow within the deformation axis set up the entire morning and afternoon across Metro Detroit. As the afternoon wore on, the snowfall ratios increased, as temperatures began to plummet as cold air was drawn in on the backside of the low pressure. The result was a rapid flash freezing that severely impacted travel conditions that evening and the next day. In total, Metro Detroit’s first widespread snowstorm produced 4-7” of snow, with the highest amounts observed over Wayne County.

The rest of December was by and large fairly uneventful as the most active storm track set up from MN to IL to OH. However, Metro Detroit experienced a white Christmas with snow depths ranging from 3-6” across the area.

January:

New Years brought a thaw as temperatures soared into the 50s across Metro Detroit, resulting in a complete loss in the snow pack. The barren ground that resulted proved to be temporary as Metro Detroit was about to be blanked with growing snowpack throughout most of January and into February. January 6-7 brought a couple rounds of Lake Effect snow, resulting in widespread 2-4” 2-day snowfall totals across the area, which happened to be Metro Detroit’s most significant Lake Effect snowfall of the season. A few days later, a new storm was on the Horizon that was modeled for days to miss SE MI predominately to the south. However, within a few days of the event, modeled began to hone in a more northerly track. This resulted in a Winter Weather Advisory throughout Metro Detroit, with snowfall totals of 3-5”

The next couple weeks proved to be rather uneventful for any decent snowfall. However, in the early morning hours of 1/29 a clipper system moved SE through MI resulting in widespread 2-4”, with the highest totals in an axis from Grosse Point northwestward through central Lower Michigan.

February:

Perhaps the most exciting event of the season for many was the infamous Groundhog’s Blizzard, though results fell short of expectations. This storm for days on computer models showed a substantial amount of snowfall over SE MI, with computer model QPF amounts of upwards of 1.8.” Perhaps many of you may recall the ECMWF for several runs consecutively indicating QPF amounts of 1.4-1.8”, which would have made for a historic snowstorm in Metro Detroit, ranking among the top ten. Perhaps many may recall NAM BUFKIT amounts showing unrealistically upwards of 26” of snow for Detroit. In any case, confidence was above normal of a high-impact winter storm to impact SE MI. What resulted was a Winter Storm Watch on the morning of 1/30, an unusual early issuance for a watch, not seen since the Blizzard of ’99. Several concerns loomed over the storm that could thwart historical snowfall amounts. Track and strength of the SLP was key for such an event. Earlier computer model runs indicated a slightly weaker SLP to track near the OH River…such a track put Detroit in the “bullseye” for the impending deformation band. However, within 24 hours of the storm, models indicated a stronger SLP resulting in a track through central IL and northern Indiana. With such a track, Metro Detroit ran at risk of being dry slotted, and with a warm tongue aloft, above temperatures in to low to mid 20s, sleet became a serious deterrent to snowfall amounts. Another concern, regardless of exact track was the potential for strong gusty winds that could cause Blizzard conditions. As a result, on the morning of 2/1, a Blizzard Warning was issued across all of SE MI for 10-15” of snow. Such high snowfall amounts garnered days of rightfully so media hype, with local meteorologists calling for 12-18” of snowfall. Obvious, most residents were expecting an historical storm given all the hype. Unfortunately for snow-enthusiasts, the last day model changes proved correct. The evening began with widespread moderate to occasionally heavy snowfall. By midnight, many locations in Metro Detroit had already received 3-6” of snowfall. By this time, a dryslot was becoming glaringly obvious on regional radar. Nevertheless, convective precip was able to take hold across the area resulting in periods of heavy snow, and mostly sleet, especially south of M59. Blowing and drifting from winds gusting upwards of 45mph was considerable, resulting in drifts of 1-3 feet across the area. The snow was not over yet as backside snow added an additional 1-3” of fluffy snow across the area. A disturbance associated with the Blizzard the previous night borough 1-2” across Metro Detroit. In total, 6-12” fell across the area, with DTW reporting a little over 10” altogether. Though not a total bust, the storm pales in comparison to the Blizzard conditions that paralyzed IL/WI, with Chicago in particular bearing the brunt of the Blizzard.

The next week looked like it wouldn’t feature much snowfall, however, 2/5 will be remembered as the surprise snowfall resulting from significant last-minute models changes. Friday evening’s forecast for Saturday called for partly to mostly cloudy skies, with zero mention of any snowfall as there was little model support. However, models that night began hinting at Detroit Metro area being scraped by a deformation band of 2-5” of snowfall. The morning of the 2/5 began with no winter weather advisories. However, as upstream radar indicated, Metro Detroit was in storm form much more than 1-2”. Consequently, WWAs were gradually issued and expanded NW, given a very tight gradient in snowfall amounts. Moderate to heavy snow fell across the area for a few hours resulting in total of 4-6” of snowfall over Metro Detroit.

The middle of February featured the next Winter thaw resulting in a nearly complete destruction of the snowpack.

This period of little snowfall and warmer temperatures was short lived as Metro Detroit geared up for it’s next major winter storm on 2/20 - 2/21. This storm for days looked to be a predominated rainstorm across Metro Detroit with some potential ice. The models leading up to the storm began to shift the storm southward as a blocking polar Vortex over NE Canada was shown to prevent a northward track of the low pressure. Because of this set-up, with freezing temperatures at the surface and a warm layer aloft, a possible classic ice storm was becoming a significant concern over Lower Michigan. Within 12 hours of the storm Metro Detroit remained very uncertain as to what precipitation types it would predominately see. A winter storm warning was issues for Metro Detroit for snow amounts of 1-3”, sleet and up to a quarter inch an ice. Computer models continued to waffle between snow and ice storm, particularly along and south of I94, resulting in a headache of a forecast for meteorologists. However, as the snow began falling around 2pm, at a moderate clip, and surface and upper atmospheric observations showed, snow was to become a potentially bigger issue than ice. Consequently, updated WSWs gradually called for increasing snowfall amount and decreasing ice amounts. By 7PM, Metro Detroit was socked in by Heavy convective snow resulting in a few observations at Metro Detroit Airport of thundersnow and visibilities down to 1/16 a mile. By 8PM, most locations have already seen 5-6” of snow, and bands of moderate to heavy precip continued to develop over WI/IL/WMI. This area of snowfall caused an additional 3-5” of snow to fall across to the area resulting in widespread storm totals of 8-11”. Although many places did experience some sleet occasionally mixing in, most sleet and freezing rain stayed south of I94 in Lenawee and Monroe Counties, where ice accumulations ranged form 0.25-0.5”. For many Metro Detroiters, this storm proved much worse than the Groundhog Day Blizzard, and many Universities and places of business were shut down for the day. Roads were in terrible shape the next couple of days due to areas of poor road management.

The evening of February 21 brought another round of snowfall to the area, with most snowfall confined south of I94 where 2-3” of snow fell.

A few nights later, Metro Detroit experienced a heavy burst of snowfall with reports of thunder and lightning. Snowflake sizes were exceptionally large, upward and over 1” in diameter from personal observation. In total, another 1-2” blanketed Metro Detroit’s deep snowpack.

February was not done yet however as another snowstorm loomed possible for Detroit, models showed perhaps another 6-10” of snow for Detroit. However, after a couple days of many models shifting the snow axis south of the state, only to come back north, the ultimate storm track was across KY and the OH River, which only skimmed SE MI, particularly south of M59 with 1-5” of snow, with the highest amounts observed down river and in Lenawee and Monroe counties.

February ended up as being Detroit’s second snowiest February in recorded history, with an incredible 31.7”

March:

Early March featured a lot of rainfall across SE MI as the active storm track continued. However two rainstorms were subsequently followed by a few inches of snowfall.

3/5 was a raw winter day, with periods of rainfall throughout the day, and especially the night before. As the day wore on, cold air pushed through the area as the low-pressure area move east of the region. However, during the evening, a mid-level deformation band of snowfall developed over SE MI resulting in periods of moderate snowfall. In total Metro Detroit over-performed with another widespread 3-5” snowfall, which ironically featured no WWA.

A few days later, another rainstorm brought 0.5-1” of rainfall to the region. However, what became a significant item of interest was the development of a secondary low pressure over the Apps that was to retrograde NW towards Buffalo. Metro Detroit was on the back-edge of a deformation band of snow shown on the models to impact the area on 3/10 and 3/11. Model output ranged from little to no snow to upwards of a foot at one point. However, predominately, models were indicated a general 2-5” across the area, which turned out to be the case. Winter storm Watches were issued NE of Metro Detroit across the thumb region, and were subsequently changed to WWA’s from Macomb county and northeastward. As the night wore on, the snowfall proved to be more widespread than originally forecasted, resulting in the issuance of WWAs across the entire Metro area. In total, yet another 3-5” of snowfall fell across the region.

Snow Cover:

This winter was indeed a very snow-covered winter across Metro Detroit, with most locations experiencing upwards of 80 days with a snow cover of 1”+. For residents who enjoy constant snow-cover, this winter should rank high in their books.

My Grade: A-

There’s nothing much I can complain about. First of all snow-cover was long-lasting this season and few were the days where there wasn't snow on the ground. IMBY, I have received 55.9” thus far, which is well above average for my location, and DTW has received 68”, the sixth snowiest winter on record at this point in time. Though I wish December was a little snowier, largely due to the persistent blocking regime, the moderate snowfall of January, the outstanding, record-setting heavy snowfall of February, and the above normal snowfall of march certainly made up for the disappointments early in the winter. Expecting all winter months to be snowy and above normal is unrealistic, though not impossible, IMO, so having a “slow” start to winter didn’t matter much to me because of all the experiences I enjoyed in the second half of winter. I won’t give this winter an A due to a couple disappointments like the Groundhogs Blizzard and a under-performing WWA in late February.

Winter 2010-11 for LAF

Final grade: A-

Snowfall

November: 0.2"

December: 21.8"

January: 13.4"

February: 13.1"

March: 0.5"

Total: 49.0"

Pros

-6th snowiest season on record

-3rd snowiest met winter (DJF) on record

-3rd snowiest December on record

-60+ days of snow cover

-12 snows of 1"+

-Sufficiently cold temps

-Christmas system

-Late NW trender of Feb 5th

Cons

-No snowstorm over 6", though the Jan 31-Feb 2 counts technically, but was sleet contaminated

-Only 4.3" of snow since Feb 5

-Whiffed on the Feb 25th event when it looked "probable" we'd get our 6"+ all snow storm

-New Year's torch/snow cover demolisher

-Failure to reach 50" while being very close

-No real big arctic outbreak

Grade reasoning

Well the snowfall totals and their historical significance here guaranteed at least an A-. But that's all I can give this winter considering the lack of a true 6"+ snowstorm and our failure at getting to 50" of snow for the season. Jan 31-Feb 2 was really the defining moment sort of speak, and if it would've have been much easier to give this winter an A or even A+ if that storm would've been 75% snow here. Alas, it an epic sleet storm which is cool in some respects, but not cooler than all snow. That being said, I enjoyed this winter immensely here and would welcome a repeat anytime considering that LAF is not typically a snow lover's paradise.

Grades by category...

Cold: C+ (three decent cold snaps, decently cold February)

Snow: D- (1.1" IMBY)

Other: D+ (Aumsville tornado, no ridiculous streaks of unending drizzle, but lots of "near-miss" snow events, and a poor showing on the "expectations" front)

Overall grade (weighted by personal preference): D

Winter 2010-2011 for Murray, Kentucky

Grade: A-

Total Snowfall: 23.5

This winter was one of the best winters of my lifetime so far. Only 1995-1996, 1997-1998, and 2004-2005 were better. The best part of this winter was February 7th and 9th when I got two surprise snowstorms in 3 days. I went to bed the night before both of those storms expecting 1-3 inches of snow only to go 7.0 inches and 6.5 inches of snow from the two storms. I went six years without a 6+ inch snowstorms and got two 6+ inch storms in 3 days. I never expected that, what a great surprise. The other fascinating part of this winter was the nickel and dime events we got this winter. It was nice to snowflakes in the air more often than usual this winter. The only cons with this winter is that I haven't seen a snowflake since the 2/9 storm. But other than that, I have no complaints.

Winter 2010-2011 for Louisville, Kentucky

Grade: C+

Total Snowfall: 17.4

A very average winter for the Louisville Metro area. No snowstorms with over 3 inches this season. I believe they only had one winter storm which turned out to be an ice-storm that produce about. .30-.40 inches of freezing rain. I was here for that storm, roads were just covered with ice since the temperatures were only in the mid 20's. I can't give this winter a D for them because of the amount of advisory events they got this year.

Winter 2010-11 for LAF

Final grade: A-

Snowfall

November: 0.2"

December: 21.8"

January: 13.4"

February: 13.1"

March: 0.5"

Total: 49.0"

Pros

-6th snowiest season on record

-3rd snowiest met winter (DJF) on record

-3rd snowiest December on record

-60+ days of snow cover

-12 snows of 1"+

-Sufficiently cold temps

-Christmas system

-Late NW trender of Feb 5th

Cons

-No snowstorm over 6", though the Jan 31-Feb 2 counts technically, but was sleet contaminated

-Only 4.3" of snow since Feb 5

-Whiffed on the Feb 25th event when it looked "probable" we'd get our 6"+ all snow storm

-New Year's torch/snow cover demolisher

-Failure to reach 50" while being very close

-No real big arctic outbreak

Grade reasoning

Well the snowfall totals and their historical significance here guaranteed at least an A-. But that's all I can give this winter considering the lack of a true 6"+ snowstorm and our failure at getting to 50" of snow for the season. Jan 31-Feb 2 was really the defining moment sort of speak, and if it would've have been much easier to give this winter an A or even A+ if that storm would've been 75% snow here. Alas, it an epic sleet storm which is cool in some respects, but not cooler than all snow. That being said, I enjoyed this winter immensely here and would welcome a repeat anytime considering that LAF is not typically a snow lover's paradise.

Good post except my grade at this point is B+. I've been going back and forth between A-/B+ but feel there are enough cons to keep it lower. I'm not gonna hand out A's like candy. :P

Here's how my final grade will probably go:

fail to reach 50: B+

limp to 50: A-

big storm: A or A+

Grade: B-

It was a winter of missed potential. My total snowfall is 34.3" plus 6 trace events. While above average, it was not significantly above average. A lot of smaller snows with only one snow reaching 6" and that was a complete surprise for a Saturday, The sleet storm was a huge disappointment as was 2/25 when dry air limited out event. Winter petered out after 2/5 with just 3 trace events, one event with 0.3" and then 4" on 2/25. As mentioned, Lafayette is at 49" and are just 35 miles west. They have no elevation advantage, just good luck while I received bad hence while I am downgrading to a B-. Even when Indiana had severe weather, we couldn't make anything happen here. My B- is generous.

Winter 2010-2011 Summary up to 3/15/11 for Metro Detroit

November:

November was pretty benign around here with only trace amount of snowfall. Expectations aren’t high for November, so no big deal.

December:

The Largest Storm to impact Metro Detroit occurred on December 12. This storm looked promising on the models for quite a few days as a possible significant snowstorm. However, 2-3 days prior to the storm, the models showed a more northerly track, severely limiting any possible accumulating snowfall. However, the models gradually shifted south, focusing on a track of a strong low pressure from IA to Northern IL. The unexpected aspect about this storm system was the development of a secondary area of low pressure that formed and deepened as it moved NE over Lake Erie during the day. The storm began with a period of rain, but in the early morning hours of the 12th, the rain quickly changed to snow as temperatures hovered around freezing throughout the day. The snow, given the wet ground and low ratios didn’t accumulate well. However, moderate to heavy wet snow within the deformation axis set up the entire morning and afternoon across Metro Detroit. As the afternoon wore on, the snowfall ratios increased, as temperatures began to plummet as cold air was drawn in on the backside of the low pressure. The result was a rapid flash freezing that severely impacted travel conditions that evening and the next day. In total, Metro Detroit’s first widespread snowstorm produced 4-7” of snow, with the highest amounts observed over Wayne County.

The rest of December was by and large fairly uneventful as the most active storm track set up from MN to IL to OH. However, Metro Detroit experienced a white Christmas with snow depths ranging from 3-6” across the area.

January:

New Years brought a thaw as temperatures soared into the 50s across Metro Detroit, resulting in a complete loss in the snow pack. The barren ground that resulted proved to be temporary as Metro Detroit was about to be blanked with growing snowpack throughout most of January and into February. January 6-7 brought a couple rounds of Lake Effect snow, resulting in widespread 2-4” 2-day snowfall totals across the area, which happened to be Metro Detroit’s most significant Lake Effect snowfall of the season. A few days later, a new storm was on the Horizon that was modeled for days to miss SE MI predominately to the south. However, within a few days of the event, modeled began to hone in a more northerly track. This resulted in a Winter Weather Advisory throughout Metro Detroit, with snowfall totals of 3-5”

The next couple weeks proved to be rather uneventful for any decent snowfall. However, in the early morning hours of 1/29 a clipper system moved SE through MI resulting in widespread 2-4”, with the highest totals in an axis from Grosse Point northwestward through central Lower Michigan.

February:

Perhaps the most exciting event of the season for many was the infamous Groundhog’s Blizzard, though results fell short of expectations. This storm for days on computer models showed a substantial amount of snowfall over SE MI, with computer model QPF amounts of upwards of 1.8.” Perhaps many of you may recall the ECMWF for several runs consecutively indicating QPF amounts of 1.4-1.8”, which would have made for a historic snowstorm in Metro Detroit, ranking among the top ten. Perhaps many may recall NAM BUFKIT amounts showing unrealistically upwards of 26” of snow for Detroit. In any case, confidence was above normal of a high-impact winter storm to impact SE MI. What resulted was a Winter Storm Watch on the morning of 1/30, an unusual early issuance for a watch, not seen since the Blizzard of ’99. Several concerns loomed over the storm that could thwart historical snowfall amounts. Track and strength of the SLP was key for such an event. Earlier computer model runs indicated a slightly weaker SLP to track near the OH River…such a track put Detroit in the “bullseye” for the impending deformation band. However, within 24 hours of the storm, models indicated a stronger SLP resulting in a track through central IL and northern Indiana. With such a track, Metro Detroit ran at risk of being dry slotted, and with a warm tongue aloft, above temperatures in to low to mid 20s, sleet became a serious deterrent to snowfall amounts. Another concern, regardless of exact track was the potential for strong gusty winds that could cause Blizzard conditions. As a result, on the morning of 2/1, a Blizzard Warning was issued across all of SE MI for 10-15” of snow. Such high snowfall amounts garnered days of rightfully so media hype, with local meteorologists calling for 12-18” of snowfall. Obvious, most residents were expecting an historical storm given all the hype. Unfortunately for snow-enthusiasts, the last day model changes proved correct. The evening began with widespread moderate to occasionally heavy snowfall. By midnight, many locations in Metro Detroit had already received 3-6” of snowfall. By this time, a dryslot was becoming glaringly obvious on regional radar. Nevertheless, convective precip was able to take hold across the area resulting in periods of heavy snow, and mostly sleet, especially south of M59. Blowing and drifting from winds gusting upwards of 45mph was considerable, resulting in drifts of 1-3 feet across the area. The snow was not over yet as backside snow added an additional 1-3” of fluffy snow across the area. A disturbance associated with the Blizzard the previous night borough 1-2” across Metro Detroit. In total, 6-12” fell across the area, with DTW reporting a little over 10” altogether. Though not a total bust, the storm pales in comparison to the Blizzard conditions that paralyzed IL/WI, with Chicago in particular bearing the brunt of the Blizzard.

The next week looked like it wouldn’t feature much snowfall, however, 2/5 will be remembered as the surprise snowfall resulting from significant last-minute models changes. Friday evening’s forecast for Saturday called for partly to mostly cloudy skies, with zero mention of any snowfall as there was little model support. However, models that night began hinting at Detroit Metro area being scraped by a deformation band of 2-5” of snowfall. The morning of the 2/5 began with no winter weather advisories. However, as upstream radar indicated, Metro Detroit was in storm form much more than 1-2”. Consequently, WWAs were gradually issued and expanded NW, given a very tight gradient in snowfall amounts. Moderate to heavy snow fell across the area for a few hours resulting in total of 4-6” of snowfall over Metro Detroit.

The middle of February featured the next Winter thaw resulting in a nearly complete destruction of the snowpack.

This period of little snowfall and warmer temperatures was short lived as Metro Detroit geared up for it’s next major winter storm on 2/20 - 2/21. This storm for days looked to be a predominated rainstorm across Metro Detroit with some potential ice. The models leading up to the storm began to shift the storm southward as a blocking polar Vortex over NE Canada was shown to prevent a northward track of the low pressure. Because of this set-up, with freezing temperatures at the surface and a warm layer aloft, a possible classic ice storm was becoming a significant concern over Lower Michigan. Within 12 hours of the storm Metro Detroit remained very uncertain as to what precipitation types it would predominately see. A winter storm warning was issues for Metro Detroit for snow amounts of 1-3”, sleet and up to a quarter inch an ice. Computer models continued to waffle between snow and ice storm, particularly along and south of I94, resulting in a headache of a forecast for meteorologists. However, as the snow began falling around 2pm, at a moderate clip, and surface and upper atmospheric observations showed, snow was to become a potentially bigger issue than ice. Consequently, updated WSWs gradually called for increasing snowfall amount and decreasing ice amounts. By 7PM, Metro Detroit was socked in by Heavy convective snow resulting in a few observations at Metro Detroit Airport of thundersnow and visibilities down to 1/16 a mile. By 8PM, most locations have already seen 5-6” of snow, and bands of moderate to heavy precip continued to develop over WI/IL/WMI. This area of snowfall caused an additional 3-5” of snow to fall across to the area resulting in widespread storm totals of 8-11”. Although many places did experience some sleet occasionally mixing in, most sleet and freezing rain stayed south of I94 in Lenawee and Monroe Counties, where ice accumulations ranged form 0.25-0.5”. For many Metro Detroiters, this storm proved much worse than the Groundhog Day Blizzard, and many Universities and places of business were shut down for the day. Roads were in terrible shape the next couple of days due to areas of poor road management.

The evening of February 21 brought another round of snowfall to the area, with most snowfall confined south of I94 where 2-3” of snow fell.

A few nights later, Metro Detroit experienced a heavy burst of snowfall with reports of thunder and lightning. Snowflake sizes were exceptionally large, upward and over 1” in diameter from personal observation. In total, another 1-2” blanketed Metro Detroit’s deep snowpack.

February was not done yet however as another snowstorm loomed possible for Detroit, models showed perhaps another 6-10” of snow for Detroit. However, after a couple days of many models shifting the snow axis south of the state, only to come back north, the ultimate storm track was across KY and the OH River, which only skimmed SE MI, particularly south of M59 with 1-5” of snow, with the highest amounts observed down river and in Lenawee and Monroe counties.

February ended up as being Detroit’s second snowiest February in recorded history, with an incredible 31.7”

March:

Early March featured a lot of rainfall across SE MI as the active storm track continued. However two rainstorms were subsequently followed by a few inches of snowfall.

3/5 was a raw winter day, with periods of rainfall throughout the day, and especially the night before. As the day wore on, cold air pushed through the area as the low-pressure area move east of the region. However, during the evening, a mid-level deformation band of snowfall developed over SE MI resulting in periods of moderate snowfall. In total Metro Detroit over-performed with another widespread 3-5” snowfall, which ironically featured no WWA.

A few days later, another rainstorm brought 0.5-1” of rainfall to the region. However, what became a significant item of interest was the development of a secondary low pressure over the Apps that was to retrograde NW towards Buffalo. Metro Detroit was on the back-edge of a deformation band of snow shown on the models to impact the area on 3/10 and 3/11. Model output ranged from little to no snow to upwards of a foot at one point. However, predominately, models were indicated a general 2-5” across the area, which turned out to be the case. Winter storm Watches were issued NE of Metro Detroit across the thumb region, and were subsequently changed to WWA’s from Macomb county and northeastward. As the night wore on, the snowfall proved to be more widespread than originally forecasted, resulting in the issuance of WWAs across the entire Metro area. In total, yet another 3-5” of snowfall fell across the region.

Snow Cover:

This winter was indeed a very snow-covered winter across Metro Detroit, with most locations experiencing upwards of 80 days with a snow cover of 1”+. For residents who enjoy constant snow-cover, this winter should rank high in their books.

My Grade: A-

There’s nothing much I can complain about. First of all snow-cover was long-lasting this season and few were the days where there wasn't snow on the ground. IMBY, I have received 55.9” thus far, which is well above average for my location, and DTW has received 68”, the sixth snowiest winter on record at this point in time. Though I wish December was a little snowier, largely due to the persistent blocking regime, the moderate snowfall of January, the outstanding, record-setting heavy snowfall of February, and the above normal snowfall of march certainly made up for the disappointments early in the winter. Expecting all winter months to be snowy and above normal is unrealistic, though not impossible, IMO, so having a “slow” start to winter didn’t matter much to me because of all the experiences I enjoyed in the second half of winter. I won’t give this winter an A due to a couple disappointments like the Groundhogs Blizzard and a under-performing WWA in late February.

Very nice.. I AGREE.

I would grade the winter down here as at least an "A"

Of course, it was the Feb 1-2 blizzard that did it.

Overall, though I think winter was "winter" this year, and pretty happy about it. I could have used at least one

more snow storm of 4" or greater, but, what can one do?

Having one of, if not the snowiest February on record

Plenty of cold days.

Limited number of "mix" events in the months that counted (Jan, Feb)

all of that played a role in making this past winter a good one.

Also, my kids got a snow storm that they will talk about forever, and will tell their own kids about.... that's the best part.

So, yeah, this winter goes down in the books as an "A".......

First off, here's my official letter/percentage grading system (this is widely used in the province of Ontario):

A+: 90-100, A: 83-89, A-: 80-82, B+: 77-79, B: 73-76, B-: 70-72, C+: 67-69, C: 63-66, C-: 60-62, D+: 57-59, D: 53-56, D-: 50-52, E/F: 49 and below.

Second, here's my grading system by percentage weight:

Temperatures (cold): 35%

Total snow: 30%

Snow cover: 25%

Overall feel (includes near-missed storms): 10%

Considering the above system, here's my evaluation for the Toronto area:

Temperatures: 25/35 (decent, but not record breaking cold)

Total snow: 21/30 (near normal snow)

Snow cover: 20/25 (lots of days with a depth over 6")

Overall feel: 6/10 (better than last winter, but a couple of missed storms bring this grade down)

TOTAL: 71/100

GRADE: B-

First off, here's my official letter/percentage grading system (this is widely used in the province of Ontario):

A+: 90-100, A: 83-89, A-: 80-82, B+: 77-79, B: 73-76, B-: 70-72, C+: 67-69, C: 63-66, C-: 60-62, D+: 57-59, D: 53-56, D-: 50-52, E/F: 49 and below.

Second, here's my grading system by percentage weight:

Temperatures (cold): 35%

Total snow: 30%

Snow cover: 25%

Overall feel (includes near-missed storms): 10%

Considering the above system, here's my evaluation for the Toronto area:

Temperatures: 25/35 (decent, but not record breaking cold)

Total snow: 21/30 (near normal snow)

Snow cover: 20/25 (lots of days with a depth over 6")

Overall feel: 6/10 (better than last winter, but a couple of missed storms bring this grade down)

TOTAL: 71/100

GRADE: B-

I like that you went the mathematical route :)

We're basically on the same page. A mediocre winter that had the potential to be great had we caught a couple of breaks.

Anyways, I've been hearing weak Nina for next winter. Should be fun. :thumbsup:

Overall score... A+.

December started out with a 10" direct hit from the "super clipper". That also happened to be our first measurable snow of the season lol. The rest of December featured numerous clipper hits, including a nice 7-8" one on xmas eve.

January was pretty benign, with several light snow events, but nothing to write home about.

Of course in early February we picked up 16" from the blizzard. After that winter was done.

What can I say--A+ as well.

A record breaking February storm complete with TSSN (first time I had TSSN in years), a record breaking December storm and the first 20" storm total snowfall of my life, and a winter total over 80" which is top 10. It is made all the better considering the previous decade had been putrid with well below average snow fall and a winter time industry in decline. The Twin Cities needed an epic winter--and we got it.

Good post except my grade at this point is B+. I've been going back and forth between A-/B+ but feel there are enough cons to keep it lower. I'm not gonna hand out A's like candy. :P

Here's how my final grade will probably go:

fail to reach 50: B+

limp to 50: A-

big storm: A or A+

A top 10 season deserves at least an A- IMO. Plus this is LAF, not that we haven't had a good run since but 2007, but we can have some real stinkers. My grading scale is skewed partially due to location obviously. ;)

A top 10 season deserves at least an A- IMO. Plus this is LAF, not that we haven't had a good run since but 2007, but we can have some real stinkers. My grading scale is skewed partially due to location obviously. ;)

I see what you're saying, but the lack of a big event diminishes it somewhat. Although I weight extreme cold lower, if we would've gotten a major cold snap then I probably would be giving it an A- right now.

Seeing as DTW ended up in the top 10 for snowfalls this winter I can't go anything but A even with the meh December.

:thumbsup:

That one 6.3" storm on Dec 12th managed to leave a nice blanket the entire Christmas season, so even that was more than tolerable imo. And it was WAY up from there.

Winter gets an A+ from me, but as I said, the snow season is NOT over, and I will wait until then (plus im very busy too right now lol). Those thinking winter has a lot more to offer or only fooling themselves, as are those who think the last flakes have fallen N of I-80. Whether its a few more traces, a sloppy inch/coating, or a downright spring blizzard...Im waiting to issue my writeup.

BTW, Kab...EXCELLENT writeup on SE MI!!!!

Not much of a winter here in the Keweenaw. I don't think we even hit the average snowfall. We got most of the snow in December. Mid January and into February just enough to whiten things up, but didn't have to move it. So far no big March storm. I think we broke that trend last year when we didn't get a storm. The NWS is hinting at tstorms Monday.

Colorado: schizophrenic.

Here: F+ (I was going to give it a D- but there was so little moisture that the impact of the non-winter looks like it'll last long into spring)

60 miles west: A- (perfect, except ski season looks like it may end a bit early if this warmth/dryness keeps up)

For sure.

A D where I live would have been an A had I lived above 2,000'... 20 miles to my east.

Snow: D+

Cold: B-

Moneyman being gone: A+

He had comic potential.

Tenth an inch of ice in February, several hard freezes, even the cold tolerant Fan Palms show some frond damage, and it looks like less than half the Manila Palms, always a poor choice for the brutal Houston climate, have any green foliage on them and I'm assuming they are dead.

On to tornado season!

I'll give it an A- here.

Toledo did break 50", but the lack of a truly memorable storm here kept it from reaching an A to A+.

This winter did get into the top 15, but not the top 10 (So far, at least), but February will go down as the snowiest February ever, back to back within the top 3. This March was "tremendous", picking up around 5-6" here, which blows '08-09 and '09-'10 away (.1" and T, respectively).

Pros:

1. Top 15 snowiest winter

2. February. Enough said... record snowiest. Accounted for 60% of our total snowfall both the beginning and end of Feb. were awesome.

3. Very consistent snowpack (Up to 18" at one point IMBY!)

4. White Christmas

5. Surprise events- This was crucial. Feb. 4-5th, Presidents Day, and both March events changed their course within 24 hours of the event, and "surprise snowfall" added up to about 17" or so: 1/3 of our snow. There were a few negative surprises such as the shift northwest for Groundhog's Day... but overrunning from that system the night before made that storm the best of the winter.

6. Cold/Warmth. The relatively consistent cold followed by dramatic warmth in February was fun- going from 18" snowdepth to 0 in a week was good

Cons:

Lack of a true major storm- Something we had last year (Feb. 10) that will really be remembered in NWOH. The 4-6" events are great, don't get me wrong, but not having that real "big daddy" hurt a bit.

2. December/January- Yes, they did have snowcover, but from minimal events. Had I graded my winter before February 1st, it would have been a C at best. Below Avg. snowfall through both those months

3.) Flooding- Findlay's/Maumee's flooding hurt a bit. I don't like floods, I have memories of Findlay and '07 still.

Overall: Excellent winter. The shifts so close to the events were stressful, but well worth it. Once this winter picked up steam in February it was a wild ride. I'm sure the DAY/CMH crew aren't on the same page as me, but the amount of fringing here was astounding. So many events either had the ZR/IP/SN line just to my south or directly over my head. Crazy winter, but I enjoyed it.

It's time for severe thunderstorms though :popcorn:

Archived