• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
The winter that was

I would give our winter a C. It wasn't anything spectacular. All the system storms missed us to the west, east, and south. We did get a few lake effect events, but they weren't not as severe as they could of been. Haven't had much snow since late January. Just an inch here and there which turned into dustings in February. Got up to 63 one day in February. Now it has been in the mid 40's for highs. Doesn't look good for a March snowstorm.

A- Seasonal Snowfall - 42.9" IMBY- Above Average (FTW @ 46.1"- 9th greatest)

C Large Storms - We average one 6" storm a year. We got ours with help from all of the sleet

A Frequency of snowfall - 70 days of at least a Trace

A+ Snow depth/cover - 82 days of at least a Trace

A Cold - much below average

B+ Overall Grade - would be an A or A-, but I weight heavier to large storms

DTX prelim winter review, final will be issued in mid-late April before Bill Deedlers retirement.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/images/dtx/climate/winter2010-11Preview.pdf

Its mentioned that once again, Detroit, Flint, and Saginaw all have placed in the top 20 snowiest seasons list. While the final rankings are uncertain, ALL THREE of the major climate sites in the southeast half of lower Michigan have placed in the top 20 snowiest seasons list 4 or 5 times since 2000. Amazing!

I would give our winter a C. It wasn't anything spectacular. All the system storms missed us to the west, east, and south. We did get a few lake effect events, but they weren't not as severe as they could of been. Haven't had much snow since late January. Just an inch here and there which turned into dustings in February. Got up to 63 one day in February. Now it has been in the mid 40's for highs. Doesn't look good for a March snowstorm.

Just saw this now...you hit 63 in February!? We hit 54F in that mid-month torch, crazy that you were almost 10 degrees warmer!

Been crazy all around this year. This will probably one of the only winters that Detroit's peak snow depth was equal or better to most of the eastern U.P. and northern lower. Peak depths are 16" at Detroit and the Soo, and 14" in Alpena. Still had more raw snowcover days up there, however DTW (67.5") and the Soo (70,1") are neck and neck with snowfall (Detroit was leading in late Feb.) which is nothing short of astounding considering averages are along the lines of 44" and 130". Really hoping the north country has a GOOD winter next year (no synoptic snow at our expense however :) ).

All factors considered (snowcover, snowfall, surprises, etc) I give this winter an A+ but will not have my winter review til about early-mid April.

However, except for maybe IA/MN/N WI, I doubt for most of us any additional winter weather would be significant enough to alter our assessment of the winter of 2010-11. And in case something extraordinary does develop, feel free to amend your post mortem.

Winter of 2010-11 in Etobicoke

Grade: C+

Spoke to soon. First significant late March snow imby since March 1998 yesterday (I won't count the 3.3" of slop I received on March 26, 2002) brings me to nearly 60" for the season, and more importantly ends a long streak of bad luck I've had with larger storms. While 6" isn't earth shattering snow, considering the time of year, it was very exciting. Enough so that I'm going to raise my grade for this winter by a full letter.

B+

Kept it out of the A/A- range (2002-03/2008-09) because of the frustration caused by the earlier storms, but in terms of total snowfall it's getting close to 02-03 at least (61.6").

Archived