CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Winter '13/'14 Banter/Complaint Thread Part 2

Powerball

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

at least severe you can drive to to get your fix.   who the hell wants to drive to snow unless its maybe some epic fake event snow event then after the excitement of the fluff assault its is not yours and you're on your drive back home to the reality of our winter climate pretty much sucks and its at the mercy of mother nature putting out.

Hope you guys can cash in on this thing.  YYZ really has been the screw capital of the forum for the last 4-5 years it seems. 

I'm not just saying this to be humble, but I think Hawkeye gets the Board's award for being most consistently screwed over. He's been posting as long as I've been here (including Eastern, so about 8 years) and it seems like every storm finds a way to crap all over him. 

And unlike me, he takes it in stride.

I'm not just saying this to be humble, but I think Hawkeye gets the Board's award for being most consistently screwed over. He's been posting as long as I've been here (including Eastern, so about 8 years) and it seems like every storm finds a way to crap all over him. 

And unlike me, he takes it in stride.

Yeah he definitely seems pretty laid back about it.  My type-A personality would have probably got me banned by now if I was him, lol.

I'm to the point now where the snow and ice is getting boring/old. It is impressive to see I'm within striking distance of 60 days in a row of snow cover, but the hassles of winter are more numerous this season. After what is predicted in the next 7-10 comes to pass I'll be ready for warmer times.

I'm hoping there is about a week long thaw this month and then I'd be open to one more good storm towards March 1st. Shortly after that bring on spring rains and thunderstorms. 

I'm to the point now where the snow and ice is getting boring/old. It is impressive to see I'm within striking distance of 60 days in a row of snow cover, but the hassles of winter are more numerous this season. After what is predicted in the next 7-10 comes to pass I'll be ready for warmer times.

I'm hoping there is about a week long thaw this month and then I'd be open to one more good storm towards March 1st. Shortly after that bring on spring rains and thunderstorms. 

Who are you, and what have you done with the real Geos!(?) 

J/k, I'm with you.  Unless we have something really good for snow I'm ready to move on to warmer times. 

turn your winter weenie man card in.    springs gonna ultra suck for storms and warmth along the lake unless we morch.

Even if it's rain mixed with thunder it will be nice. I think I've forgotten what the grass looks like!  :lmao:

If it gets down to -10° again next week like Skilling is thinking - I'll be turning it in early!

Looking forward to the three systems coming though.

at least severe you can drive to to get your fix. who the hell wants to drive to snow unless its maybe some epic fake event snow event then after the excitement of the fluff assault its is not yours and you're on your drive back home to the reality of our winter climate pretty much sucks and its at the mercy of mother nature putting out.

Depends on the nature of the storm really. I went to the Boston blizzard last winter and while, yes, it was depressing going back home to no snow, seeing such am awesome storm with so much fury will be something that I'll remember forever. And to see how quickly people got shoveled out and roads cleared was quite amazing. I even lended a hand in getting a guy unstuck during. Driving during the blizzard was horrendous but it was an amazing experience.

Tough to top the ferocity and cold of GHD just wish it wasn't such a fast mover and the snow totals would have rivaled 3' east coast bombs.  If I ever get out to bean town it will be in Feb for sure in hopes of closing down a pub in a blizzard.  Travel more than 30 miles for a winter storm though, never unless its to a fake snow belt to get 72 hrs of top shelf fluffing.

Tough to top the ferocity and cold of GHD just wish it wasn't such a fast mover and the snow totals would have rivaled 3' east coast bombs.  If I ever get out to bean town it will be in Feb for sure in hopes of closing down a pub in a blizzard.

Downing a gallon or three of  irish stout whilst taking in a New England blizzard is definitely one for the bucket list.

It is amazing how impossible it seems to get a decent southern stream big dog this winter. Even with the moisture-laden storms, much of it remains in the warm sector because these PVs either get sheared apart before taking on a good negative tilt or are too weak to close off on their own. 

Even with the early January storm, the northern stream PV did all the work.

My snowpack is being destroyed by rain and the street flooding is bad here.

My street had water a foot deep for half a block. So, trying to be a good Samaritan, I take a shovel, find 2 drains blocked by plowed snow and ice and proceed to unbury them. I'm just finishing and admiring my work as hundreds of gallons of water tumbles down the drain and a &%*#@$%!!! idiot comes flying by at about 35 MPH and absolutely soaks me.

That's what I get for being a nice guy. I'm losing patience with people.

The Tuesday-Wednesday storm better be snow or I'm building a dam around the drains, then sit on my porch and watch &^$#*^ knuckleheads flood their cars out.

My snowpack is being destroyed by rain and the street flooding is bad here.

My street had water a foot deep for half a block. So, trying to be a good Samaritan, I take a shovel, find 2 drains blocked by plowed snow and ice and proceed to unbury them. I'm just finishing and admiring my work as hundreds of gallons of water tumbles down the drain and a &%*#@$%!!! idiot comes flying by at about 35 MPH and absolutely soaks me.

That's what I get for being a nice guy. I'm losing patience with people.

The Tuesday-Wednesday storm better be snow or I'm building a dam around the drains, then sit on my porch and watch &^$#*^ knuckleheads flood their cars out.

:lmao: That'll learn 'em!

This in the Chicago Trib. Today. Typical irresponsible media coverage of the day. Uninformed.inaccurate.Beat goes on.

"Snowfall in the Chicago area Friday and Saturday ranged from about 2 inches in the far northwest suburbs to 8 inches in northwest Indiana, as totals fell short of the 10 inches that had been predicted, according to the National Weather Service."

Forecast was essential 3-8 after 00Z models on Friday eve came in.

I give LOT a C+ on that one...warning amounts were pretty much non-existent across most of the warned counties and it was obvious that was going to be the case on Friday. I would have downgraded to a WWA but it's really not that big of a deal.

They got burned by late model shift. But public perception would have been "it's not going to snow," so their reluctant to make that shift. I get it. But headline and article paints an uncalled for negative perception. See BS Atlanta office dealt with this week.

I might be the first one to do this but I'm tired of all this snow.. LOL.. it's starting to annoy me....events keep getting canceled, weekends ruined, driving has been terrible... I'm ready for spring.

Then you won't get excited the next time a model run shows a decent hit of snow for you? Come on now. We all know better...

My primary issue with this winter is it has given us all the inconveniences of winter with a dearth of heavy ripping snow.  Brutal temps, constant wind, and enough snowfall to make the roads dicey without the payoff of rippage.  I'm sure others in the NW half or quarter of the subforum (some of whom have experienced these types of winters more often) can attest to the fact that it almost is as bad as a complete torch (though if that torch meant basically no snow, I'd have to rethink this statement).

As far as the GFS solution, this winter will get an immediate downgrade from me if the scenario it shows verified. THAT type of crap is what would make it wish for a full on torch for everybody in the Midwest and East Coast over the next 2 Summers and Winters (especially given that's in the wake of GHD 2011 for some).

I don't give a **** what the season snow total is or how many nickel & dime events we've seen.

As far as the GFS solution, this winter will get an immediate downgrade from me if the scenario it shows verified. THAT type of crap is what would make it wish for a full on torch for everybody in the Midwest and East Coast over the next 2 Summers and Winters (especially given that's in the wake of GHD 2011 for some).

I don't give a **** what the season snow total is or how many nickel & dime events we've seen.

dang!  :yikes:

dang!  :yikes:

Maybe a overreaction to merely one model run, but yes, at least given that it's been shown as a possible solution, I had to vent about the fact that I would feel THAT way if THAT happened.

I'm referring to what the GFS shows for both the 4th-5th storm and the 8th-10th storm. 

Several 6-12" events are nickel and dime?  Man, I guess I've only been penny and nickeling most of this year given I've seen one storm that yielded over 6" in my backyard.

Archived