Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter '13/'14 Banter/Complaint Thread Part 2

Powerball

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know exactly what I'm referring to. 

(how did you guys do with GHD 2011 BTW?)

Eh, it was a long duration total of around a foot and a half.  In terms of intensity, it was nothing different than what Detroit sees in the occasional major storm there (albeit longer duration than many of your storms).  That total counts the WAA snows on January 31st and February 1st of that year.  I think it would be an even trade if you traded your three or four storms of 6"+ this year and received my one, and I gave you Groundhog Day in exchange for your lesser impact of GHD.

Eh, it was a long duration total of around a foot and a half.  In terms of intensity, it was nothing different than what Detroit sees in the occasional major storm there (albeit longer duration than many of your storms).  That total counts the WAA snows on January 31st and February 1st of that year.  I think it would be an even trade if you traded your three or four storms of 6"+ this year and received my one, and I gave you Groundhog Day in exchange for your lesser impact of GHD.

Sure, you can have the 48hr and 24hr grinders we got in exchange for what you guys saw with GHD 2011. 

(granted, this is all merely for show, as it doesn't change what already happened, thus my complaint in the complaint thread)

I am definitely tired of all the penny and nickler storms.  My biggest precip event since before xmas has been 0.18".  I've had one snow event that dropped more than 0.20" precip the entire season.  My January snow total was only 6.7" and it took nine penny & nicklers to build that total.  It's really getting annoying.  My winter grade has fallen to a C because it has been nothing but cold, wind, and only little bits of snow that are too small to care about but still need to be shoveled(I shovel my neighbor's driveway and sidewalk, too).

Today is the three-year anniversary of the groundhog day blizzard, the last time I got more than 6 inches of snow from a storm.

I am definitely tired of all the penny and nickler storms.  My biggest precip event since before xmas has been 0.18".  I've had one snow event that dropped more than 0.20" precip the entire season.  My January snow total was only 6.7" and it took nine penny & nicklers to build that total.  It's really getting annoying.  My winter grade has fallen to a C because it has been nothing but cold, wind, and only little bits of snow that are too small to care about but still need to be shoveled(I shovel my neighbor's driveway and sidewalk, too).

Today is the three-year anniversary of the groundhog day blizzard, the last time I got more than 6 inches of snow from a storm.

Yep, pretty depressing.  The brooms have sure been getting a workout the last 3 years lol. 

EDIT:  Just noticed our seasonal snowfall totals are reversed between this year and last year.

I have a feeling at some point we're going to get a true cutter that phases well with loads of cold sector precip.  However, I have a bad feeling that when that does eventually happen it will cut so far northwest that we'll be in a rain or mix situation like earlier in the winter.  Just a gut feeling, but I'd bet money on it.

I have a feeling at some point we're going to get a true cutter that phases well with loads of cold sector precip.  However, I have a bad feeling that when that does eventually happen it will cut so far northwest that we'll be in a rain or mix situation like earlier in the winter.  Just a gut feeling, but I'd bet money on it.

The thought has crossed my mind ever since the teleconnections changed. Could happen if the pattern changes next week.

It would balance things out for the NW section of the subforum that have only seen one system near 6".

Several 6-12" events are nickel and dime? Man, I guess I've only been penny and nickeling most of this year given I've seen one storm that yielded over 6" in my backyard.

Since we all have different things we like, complaints that may seem ridiculous to most may be valid to the one doing the complaining, and this is the thread for it

But this is definitely not a nickel and dime winter here. DTWs top 5 storms this winter so far are 11.1, 11.0, 7.7, 6.2, & 4.1.

How much ya thinking?  :popcorn:

:P

Since we all have different things we like, complaints that may seem ridiculous to most may be valid to the one doing the complaining, and this is the thread for it

But this is definitely not a nickel and dime winter here. DTWs top 5 storms this winter so far are 11.1, 11.0, 7.7, 6.2, & 4.1.

Meh.. That is the *new* normal for Detroit! :P

How much ya thinking?  :popcorn:

:P

I would not bet against it as long as we have this -PNA/+NAO..

Thus my fear after Tues/Wed event. Not saying everything will do that either. The models are really tanking that PNA and for the long haul. Hopefully they are wrong but yeah. We can tolerate some -PNA ( as we can with a + PNA ) but when it tanks we ( those se of say Chicago ) really start to gamble. May need some outside help such as having a decent supply of cold in Canada and not just NW Canada.

Thus my fear after Tues/Wed event. Not saying everything will do that either. The models are really tanking that PNA and for the long haul. Hopefully they are wrong but yeah. We can tolerate some -PNA ( as we can with a + PNA ) but when it tanks we ( those se of say Chicago ) really start to gamble. May need some outside help such as having a decent supply of cold in Canada and not just NW Canada.

I'd pretty shocked if the Tue/Wed system went way NW. That'd be a consensus model failure at this point. But anything is possible.

As for as big cutter down the road that rains on everyone in this sub-forum...well, probably likely at some point. We've seen it happen in a lot of winters. I would think the timeframe for that might be more towards the second half (or last 10 days) of Feb...but that's just a WAG. 

I'd pretty shocked if the Tue/Wed system went way NW. That'd be a consensus model failure at this point. But anything is possible.

As for as big cutter down the road that rains on everyone in this sub-forum...well, probably likely at some point. We've seen it happen in a lot of winters. I would think the timeframe for that might be more towards the second half (or last 10 days) of Feb...but that's just a WAG. 

Harry said AFTER the Tue/Wed storm. There's no way this one's gonna hook. It will be interesting to see if the weekend storm cuts.

Looks like Philadelphia may get a repeat of what they saw back on 12/9/13 (during the Lions game).  axesmiley.gif

As amazing as this winter has been for us, it's been even more historic for Philadelphia with so far 2 intense snowstorms to hit them this season (including a 12"+ storms) and a seasonal snowfall total as of early February of 37.1". If tomorrow's snowstorm produces like some of the models progged, not only would this season be in the top 10 for them, but they'll have almost as much snow as Alpena, MI.

Ohio gets this storm ( as it is looking ) i had better not see another one in this thread for atleast the next decade considering their averages with big events and what they have gotten since Feb 03 as far as that goes. And not complain about what is happening in Michigan or Chicago either. :devilsmiley:

you've have lost it

Ohio gets this storm ( as it is looking ) i had better not see another one in this thread for atleast the next decade considering their averages with big events and what they have gotten since Feb 03 as far as that goes. And not complain about what is happening in Michigan or Chicago either. :devilsmiley:

lol c'mon Harry, we have this storm on paper....   that's quite a bit different than shoveling it from our driveways.  We're not like Chicago, GR and Detroit, where the models lock onto an axis of heavy snow 4 days out and never waiver.  I've seen that a few times this season.

We're usually balancing on a greased rope over a cliff with a flaming torch sticking out of our a**es until nowcast time.

lol c'mon Harry, we have this storm on paper....   that's quite a bit different than shoveling it from our driveways.  We're not like Chicago, GR and Detroit, where the models lock onto an axis of heavy snow 4 days out and never waiver.  I've seen that a few times this season.

We're usually balancing on a greased rope over a cliff with a flaming torch sticking out of our a**es until nowcast time.

We in Detroit ask that you say "hi" to GHD 2011 and March 2008.

We're usually balancing on greased rope over a cliff with a flaming torch sticking out of our a**es until nowcast time.

meh.. I have done very well but with Detroit it depends where. The city itself? No..  Ofcourse like there where you are Detroit is not in a favored climo spot for big time snow events either. Probably one of the last city's in this sub forum not to see a 12.5+ event going back to 1974. They have been relentlessly teased with the big event even this winter.

Speaking of... March 08 was modeled very well a bit of ways out. I know PD II wasn't though with it's last minute shift nw that ended up being needed for a change.

Good luck down that way.

We in Detroit ask that you say "hi" to GHD 2011 and March 2008.

I will admit that even in those epic winters (2010-11 is Detroits 5th snowiest and 2007-08 Detroits 4th snowiest winter on record) we had a few misses, but also plenty of surprises. In particularly 2007-08, it was the inevitable NW trend that gave us several screwjobs and several surprises. This winter, SO FAR at least, we just arent missing. The short term models spit out X amount of qpf, and we get that or more.

Wait a minute, I just saw toronto blizzard got banned? I know it's taboo to talk about it, but somebody give me the quick and dirty. 

Have a feeling he posted one of his rants ( about his horrible winter ) in another sub forum which i have seen him do a few times. That is if this is the same dude i am thinking of?

Archived