Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Feb 3rd event

Brian5671

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Somehow my weeniebell snow maps are showing 4+ for Philly and SNJ even though its warm for the first half of the storm. I guess it could be a wet snow bomb for them. Idk. Area temps for us hover around freezing as well.

Feb 10th 2010 we pasted bombed 17" of snow at 33-34 degrees. Ratios were like 7-8:1 but man, what a storm.

NWS in NYC has issued a snowfall map already and they appear to be relatively bullish with amounts for the Monday system, with 2-4" across NYC metro, including NE NJ counties (south of Bergen/Passaic) and LI (where they note some mixing may occur on the south shore, while calling for all snow everywhere else), and 1-2" across most of the rest of the region, except the far norther sections (Orange-Putnam-interior CT), which would get 1" or less. 

Hopefully, the system puts some snow down before sunrise on Monday, as otherwise, I'd be concerned about borderline boundary layer (surface) temps holding down accumulations during the day, especially with the increased sun angle in early February and especially when precip is light (as we should all keep in mind, we'll get accumulation during the day in the mid-30s as long as we have moderate intensity snow or more). 

StormTotalSnowFcst.png

NWS in Philly is less committal and actually kind of sparse in their discussion, only commenting that snow will be heaviest for Philly and South Jersey.  I asume they think there will still be some snow in Central/Norh Jersey, but no intel from the AFD.  My hourly weather graphic for Metuchen shows 2.2" of snow from Monday 6 am through 6 pm

THE FIRST EVENT IS EXPECTED TO START MONDAY MORNING, THEN LAST
THROUGH THE DAY. TEMPERATURES SHOULD BE COLD ENOUGH FOR ALL SNOW,
WITH THE HEAVIEST AMOUNTS FROM ABOUT PHILADELPHIA SOUTH AND EAST. THE
00Z GFS ACTUALLY STARTS THE PRECIPITATION DURING THE LATTER HALF
OF THE MORNING COMMUTE, WHICH IS JUST A BIT LATER THAN PREVIOUS
RUNS. THE ECMWF IS MORE AGGRESSIVE IN BRINGING THE PRECIPITATION IN
JUST BEFORE THE MORNING COMMUTE. HAVE FAVORED THE ECMWF WITH THE
TIMING WITH THIS EVENT...AND LATER SHIFTS CAN ADJUST AS NECESSARY.

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=PHI&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

Fwiw, the King seems to be back... The 6z NAM is still S but getting there and the GFS has climbed N substantially to be in line with the Euro.

Dr. No seems to be Dr. Yes so far for this week...

Lets hope it rides its 0z run for next weekend with a PDII-redux it showed this morning. ( i know nothing to do with this storm )

6Z GEFS continues its trend north this time the 0.25 line moved 50 -75 miles north from 0Z and now is over southern part of NYC - this storm is still trending so have to wait till it stops to try and pin down specific accumulations right now a general 2 -4 for starters

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs-ens/2014020106/gfs-ens_apcpn24_us.html

Swfe's almost always end up farther north than progged

The NAM is most notorious for having that problem, especially from 36-60 hours, as a matter of fact the NAM has frequently been more accurate beyond 60 hours with SWFEs then from 36-60, for whatever reason it has a bad south bias in that window before catching on inside 36....the issue with this event though is not so much the track as it is the models not grasping the strength of the vort at 500mb...the key to watch with this event too is that there may be more snow generated on the north side even with the models that have more southern tracks because the aid of the overrunning as that high starts to cross into upstate NY.

The NAM is most notorious for having that problem, especially from 36-60 hours, as a matter of fact the NAM has frequently been more accurate beyond 60 hours with SWFEs then from 36-60, for whatever reason it has a bad south bias in that window before catching on inside 36....the issue with this event though is not so much the track as it is the models not grasping the strength of the vort at 500mb...the key to watch with this event too is that there may be more snow generated on the north side even with the models that have more southern tracks because the aid of the overrunning as that high starts to cross into upstate NY.

Interesting. Are you hedging more N or S trend given what you're seeing.

Props for calling this DAYS ago...

Interesting. Are you hedging more N or S trend given what you're seeing.

Props for calling this DAYS ago...

It probably will end up more north than most guidance has now minus the GGEM, I would expect slightly north of the Euro/GFS and way north of where the NAM is.  The 06Z RGEM at 54 hours looked very north, so much so DCA/BWI were almost entirely rain.

Archived