• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 8-12 East Coast Storm Potential

REDMK6GLI

Yeah, that was a good one too, but 3"+ type amounts aren't incredibly rare for Long Island and Eastern New England. Feb 2010's strange track produced crazy amounts deep in the interior. 

No argument here.  I had to see that one for myself and took these photos in Harriman SP on 2/28/2010:

post-290-0-87438200-1391658760_thumb.jpg

post-290-0-00562300-1391658747_thumb.jpg

There was easily still 3 feet on the ground that day.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That storm def swung into Boston and that's when queens on east changed to snow. I remember that storm due to its odd track in Boston, the amount of rain that fell here then snow. And that nyc ended with 20"

Also remember something like 36" in Suffern. I could be wrong

No it was in the snow triangle as we call it up here... Harriman, Monroe, Highland Mills

Areas in Putnam/Dutchess county had 20"+ while areas 5 or so miles to the east had 0 and 3" of rain. Insane R/S line and it was aligned NW/SE

00Z GFS @123: The overrunning storm is still there and the Southern Vort is more energetic, yet there's more confluence.  

@141: There's better phasing going on over Nebraska/Kansas/Oklahoma, but the confluence is very strong. Starting to look very interesting. 

@HR 153: Really nice amplifying going on. Due to the split flow, the Southern Vort manage to properly consolidate, so it can amplify. 

The amount of precipitation with that storm was incredible...probably the most you'll ever see in this area from a winter storm. It was unique because it's rare to get 20"+ totals with such poor ratios like that. 

Well big storms are no stranger to Orange county but that storm did produce an insane amount of precip.  

Yeah, that was a good one too, but 3"+ type amounts aren't incredibly rare for Long Island and Eastern New England. Feb 2010's strange track produced crazy amounts deep in the interior

My folks live in Highland Mills and after that storm they had 46" of snow on the ground. We had a decent event about 48 hrs prior to that one. My jaw dropped when I saw it. 

GFS might be a big hit in the LR

It's really nice to look at. Serious overrunning going on at HR 159. 

@168: Looking mighty tasty. Neutral tilted Vort. 

@180: The vort over the Carolina's is de-amplifying and so close to phasing but it's too late. Much better changes than the 12Z and 18Z runs. Snowing over VA/Eastern MD/DE for over 48 hours in the form of Light to Moderate Snow. 

No it was in the snow triangle as we call it up here... Harriman, Monroe, Highland Mills

Areas in Putnam/Dutchess county had 20"+ while areas 5 or so miles to the east had 0 and 3" of rain. Insane R/S line and it was aligned NW/SE

Thanks . Yea it was Harriman. I'm not good at differentiating many Hudson Valley towns for some reason. Never have been. I guess because I don't live near there. Should probably get better at it since Suffern is further south in Rockland Co lol.

I was in Putnam for that one.  Measured 14" at the Hudson River, 28" at 600ft in the Highlands just east of the river (west side of the county) and 5" at 400ft at Carmel on the east side.  There was a strong elevational dependence to the snowfall superimposed on the most incredible east-west gradient I've ever witnessed in the area.

Well big storms are no stranger to Orange county but that storm did produce an insane amount of precip.  

My folks live in Highland Mills and after that storm they had 46" of snow on the ground. We had a decent event about 48 hrs prior to that one. My jaw dropped when I saw it. 

No doubt, but the interior usually works off of good ratios rather than huge amounts of precip. Looked back into the climo records and NYC came in with 3.17 of precip and 20.9" of snow--works out to a 6.5/1 ratio, so you're talking about snow that's barely 1 level above sleet. lol. The thermal profiles of that storm must have been more consistent with historic snowstorms you'd see in November or late March/April. 

No doubt, but the interior usually works off of good ratios rather than huge amounts of precip. Looked back into the climo records and NYC came in with 3.17 of precip and 20.9" of snow--works out to a 6.5/1 ratio, so you're talking about snow that's barely 1 level above sleet. lol. The thermal profiles of that storm must have been more consistent with historic snowstorms you'd see in November or late March/April.

We lost a good inch of that to rain. Then it turned over to sleet, then snow and boom.

Says alot about the intense rates of that storm.. Speaking of rates, last night was probably the closest I've seen it in comparison to that storm. Absolutely insane. 

The euro is running now.....through 60 hours it looks a bit better for the sat night event. Not a big hit by any means, but better at least than the GFS/NAM through 60

Edit : it doesn't get there though....the 1" line gets to SNJ, with 2-3" for southern DE/MD and coastal VA. Low develops off the coast of NC and tracks ENE quickly

Archived