• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
February 2014 General Discussion

snowlover2

I had made mention of the snow mountains at DTW a few weeks back, I finally got around to taking a picture of them. Mind you, that is a parking lot that is about three quarters the size of a football field.

zXNUwiG.jpg

NRjBCoP.jpg

Also there is another one they had to make about a mile north of these ones because this area is full. The new one is easily as big if not bigger than this. Honestly, I can't see this melting before June especially considering how densely compacted it is.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the moment, the forecast temp in Madison is -4 and the measured is -10. This is not the first time this winter that we have had that large a difference. I hope it doesn't happen early week when the forecast is -15...

Same here...I didn't even think we were suppose to go below 0F. 

Everyone in Onalaska *city just north of lse* is being told to let their water drip.  Must be having pipes freeze...never in my 30+ years have heard of them telling residents to do that.

I wanted to get some pics of it pouring snow here, but it has just been -SN until now that it's getting too dark to get good shots. Here's a few I took anyway.

Courthouse

My favorite watering hole

Looking up "The Mall" All of the snow piles were just removed

Local outhouse collection

A good pizza joint in an old train station

My poor baby

I wanted to get some pics of it pouring snow here, but it has just been -SN until now that it's getting too dark to get good shots. Here's a few I took anyway.

Great photos Butch. If I ever make it to Huntington, I've never been shockingly, we're having a drink or two at the Rusty Dog. :beer:

Just a few quick pics of the back yard.  Have a good 13-14" on the ground, with the bottom 2" solid ice from the original mid Dec snows.  The snow is the deepest I've seen yet around the base of the main weather station.  Only a few inches from the top of the tripod.

ws1j.jpg

4d35.jpg

nst4.jpg

j1xr.jpg

qtnw.jpg

Really glad to see that you have nickeled and dimed your way to a nice snowpack despite missing the big storms. The expansive area of deep snow in the midwest is nothing short of amazing right now!

Another cold morning in the north woods, what's new? Winter is in it's final stretch and the doldrums have definitely set in here. Lake MI is a frozen slushy graveyard... After delivering 150" of snow in a little over 8 weeks, northern MI residents have finally been allowed to dig out, with only about 4" of snow managing to migrate in this week off the frozen tundra that is Old Michigan.

with 30"+ snow cover still widespread in the area, and no birds(or wildlife for that matter)around, with the exception of a few 10 lb crows, there's a desolate isolation in the air that I think the falling snow helps to fill.

I couldn't have asked for a better Winter. This season owes me nothing. As Spring approaches, and the storm track inevitably shifts northward, I am optimistically hoping for a few Wintertime surprises yet (to possibly push be towards the 200" mark), as it is always hard for me to say goodbye to Winter.

Spring however, will taste sweet, like a crisp apple on a warm August afternoon. And I will soak in every ray of sunlight, every flower bloom in my garden, every cold beer after mowing the lawn, but in the back of my mind, that refreshing shift to the north wind will always be what I long for. It's in the blood.

Bo, I hadn't seen you post for a few days. I was wondering if you got completely buried up there. Nice sentiments.

Just not much to report on. Loved your pic of the Rusty Dog. My Aunt lived in Huntington all her life before she passed a year ago, we spent many a night in that Bar (great food), she was friends with the guys that live above it, and I have experienced more than one crazy night up there :D.... an interesting couple for sure. Thx for the throwback pic!

Just not much to report on. Loved your pic of the Rusty Dog. My Aunt lived in Huntington all her life before she passed a year ago, we spent many a night in that Bar (great food), she was friends with the guys that live above it, and I have experienced more than one crazy night up there :D.... an interesting couple for sure. Thx for the throwback pic!

Really?! Small world. Yes great food and a good choice of specialty beers.

I had made mention of the snow mountains at DTW a few weeks back, I finally got around to taking a picture of them. Mind you, that is a parking lot that is about three quarters the size of a football field.

zXNUwiG.jpg

NRjBCoP.jpg

Also there is another one they had to make about a mile north of these ones because this area is full. The new one is easily as big if not bigger than this. Honestly, I can't see this melting before June especially considering how densely compacted it is.

:lol: That is just awesome. I'd pay money to go climb one of those just for fun, if it weren't for all the security concerns.

Might be nice to chill by one of those if we get a late May 90 degree afternoon.

Archived