Newest Member
    joxey
February 2014 General Discussion

snowlover2

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I LOVE grumpy cat!

It is an absolute disaster downriver today. Everything is an ice rink. The core sample in 12" snowpack is 2.4", which means there is an insane amount of water in the pack and plenty of runoff has caused one big ice rink every surface that is not snowcovered, and salt will do absolutely nothing as temps plummet later on. If we were in Atlanta we could just blame the Rapture or not leave the house for a month. No more rain please mother nature, one day was more than enough. Back to our regularly scheduled epic winter please :)

3830-800.jpg

3831-800.jpg

9F when i got home...brrrrrrrrrrrr  ...-8F this morning

Day 10 Euro= torch????  its been hinting at something.

If we lose the cross polar flow like it's showing we're going to warm for sure - given the other teleconnections.

12-14th seems to be the time period to watch.

---

Nice video!

Snowing here in Louisville! Most TV mets going with 4-8 inches of snowfall here in Louisville. Didn't start a thread since I realize most of the sub forum will miss out in the fun and games tonight. If I get towards the higher totals, it would be the biggest snowstorm I've seen in quite sometime. I'll try to post some pics later tonight.

LOT posted a good video on snowfall predictions for the general public in response to all of the bogus maps that were posted on social media last week in regards to the upcoming storm system.

Of course they have to do as much damage control as they can. Whoever was the fool that posted the snow map did a huge disservice to the met community.

Now when the 30" blizzard that map shows doesn't happen, John Q. Public will be whining about how awful the weather man is and how they were wrong. 

Snowing here in Louisville! Most TV mets going with 4-8 inches of snowfall here in Louisville. Didn't start a thread since I realize most of the sub forum will miss out in the fun and games tonight. If I get towards the higher totals, it would be the biggest snowstorm I've seen in quite sometime. I'll try to post some pics later tonight.

Use the Jan 30-Feb 3rd thread.

You can go ahead and post in here:

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/42650-january-30-february-2nd-wave-train-part-2/

Yep, models suddenly came in stronger. I hope it works out to be a good dump all along the Ohio River. Keep us posted.

I don't know what it is, but ever since the snow came in Saturday morning, Robins by the dozens have been hanging around the neighborhood. They must know something we don't!  :P

Couple pics from Saturday when it was snowing.

post-7389-0-97812900-1391386714_thumb.jp

post-7389-0-89914500-1391386724_thumb.jp

Wow, this may end up being the most impressive night of the season so far regarding cold.  Just up the river at Sterling they're at -20 now.  Was -9 a short while ago here, but -8 now. 

-24 at SQI now.

ORD had an intra-hour -1 during the last 6hr period, even though the lowest hourly OBS was only 5.

Several OBS out of N. IL are actually colder than what was seen during both cold spells in Jaunary.

-9F when i looked last...  luckily it looks almost dead calm out there.   The amount of cold air is amazing this year...this is like the 30th day below 0F...   NWS was way off on the low (again).  Somehow we rise into the 20f's today.

Nice thing is, there is no wind and the temperature is rising quickly. Already +5° here in Racine. Should make 20° again today.

Hopefully the EURO locks it in. Tuesday and Wednesday look pretty nice!

EDIT: On the border line of medium range. 0z run.

post-7389-0-90332100-1391450722_thumb.pn

I left my house and the home weather station said -6, as did my car temp.  I drove my son to school about 3 miles west and once I got there it was -17 and foggy.  Crazy.  Never witnessed anything like that before.

IKK got down to -15.

Haha, that's awesome. What a weird, neat micro climate type of deal there this morning.

I left my house and the home weather station said -6, as did my car temp.  I drove my son to school about 3 miles west and once I got there it was -17 and foggy.  Crazy.  Never witnessed anything like that before.

IKK got down to -15.

That's pretty cool.  Makes me wish I would have got up earlier and went for a drive.  I can about guarantee it would have hit -20 somewhere between here and Hillsdale. 

Temps have rebound pretty quickly now that we're mixing things up.  Up to 8 here.  MLI has jumped up 32 degrees in less than 5 hours to 11 above now.

Archived