• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
February 2014 General Discussion

snowlover2

My gear keeps me pretty warm as long as the temp is about zero, below zero I start to feel it... 

At home, I use a sleep machine that produces humidity to breathe while sleeping, its much nicer not cranking the whole home humidifier and having dripping windows. 2008-2009 winter was horrible with all the soaked window sills and even a wet dry wall sheet on the bathroom ceiling.

Odd thing, my December gas usage was more than January. I can't explain this one.

The right gear makes all the difference!  I am normally OK too but there have been a couple days that I just didn't want to deal this year.  I have had a couple numb-finger days!!

My 'new' house has been pretty darn good with 'house sweat'.  Just the -10 or less days have I had any real 'house sweat'.

Yeah my January bill was not bad at all either!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I brought this up before.... 

Outside of northern Oakland county and maybe the thumb region, nobody in SE Michigan averages more than 55 inches. I would put Ann Arbor at 48 inches, Detroit at 42 inches and Howell at 50 inches.

The one advantage for northern Oakland and Livingston is staying power. We hold onto snow better than metro Detroit and possibly Ann Arbor as a whole.

Sounds about right Jonger. I figure my long term avg in Marshall is 51". I will get a little help from Lk. Michigan in a LES event, but it's really penny to nickel stuff with the occasional surprise exception. So, I'm more in line with SEMI than SWMI snowfall wise.

I love the staying power we have had this winter but this cold has tested even me at times.  I do tons of winter activities and get out as much as possible but these single digit during the days have landed even me in the house occasionally.

I was looking at your signature and I would honestly say AA's annual snow fall is more like 50-55".  While yes the past decade average may be above 55"+ in the Irish Hills to the Upper Huron River Watershed areas in SW MI ... the long term average is closer to 50".

Yeah I feel the same way.

And thanks for the info. Just changed it. 

I see my fellow SE MI folks are taking advantage of the rare cobalt blue sky to take some winter shots today. Love it! The bright blue sky is making for a snowblind day today, but the contrast is awesome. The first two pics are waist deep snow i walked through in a field. I took a lot of pics showing all the mounds yesterday, so today I went more for the simple deep snow look.

3861-800.jpg

3862-800.jpg

3863-800.jpg

3864-800.jpg

3865-800.jpg

3866-800.jpg

3867-800.jpg

3868-800.jpg

3869-800.jpg

3870-800.jpg

Great pictures SnowFreak and DMC! 

These cobalt blue skies are awesome. Something you rarely see in the warmer months.

SW winds are blowing again today, should keep the temperature above zero tonight.

Thanks...and you bring up a good point....yes, we rarely see blue sky days in the winter but when we do, its a lot bluer than you will ever see in the sunny summer!

ice motion off the western shore:

I noticed the ice going out this afternoon. Open water now near the shore. Tomorrow the wind will be SE so the ice will end up going towards Milwaukee and points north.

Currently 8°. Wind is helping keep the atmosphere mixed this evening.

11º/-11º at LAF today. Normals for today are 36º/21º...so a nice -28º departure for the day. It's also the ninth day this winter, to have a -20º or colder departure at LAF. Phenomenal. :)

I just noticed that for all of the snow we've accumulated this year, YBY is 0.3" ahead of MBY. Pretty tight race.

-8/-11/-1 in the point for Sunday night/Monday night/Tuesday night.  After that the temps warm up considerably, and closer to average temp levels through mid-month.  Very good chance that these 3 days will be the last subzero days of the season.  Sure as hell hoping they are.

Sure hope so too!

Hit 4° earlier, but now up to 8° with clouds.

Archived