VALUES NOT MUCH COLDER THAN THE ACTUAL AIR TEMPERATURE. THIS HAS
GENERALLY BEEN THE CASE FOR MOST LOCATIONS...WITH ONLY THE FOX
VALLEY AREA OBSERVING WIND CHILLS SLIGHTLY BELOW 20 BELOW ZERO AT
THIS HOUR. ALTHOUGH...THIS SHOULD ONLY BE OBSERVED FOR THE NEXT
1-2 HOURS BEFORE WINDS DROP OFF AND BECOME CALM. NONETHELESS...THE
VERY LOW TEMPERATURES WILL MAKE FOR DANGEROUSLY COLD CONDITIONS
ACROSS THE AREA TONIGHT INTO TUESDAY MORNING. A GRADUAL WARM UP
WILL OCCUR TUESDAY MORNING...WITH TEMPERATURES RISING ABOVE ZERO
ACROSS MOST LOCATIONS BY MID TO LATE MORNING.

RODRIGUEZ

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Various locations in NE/NC IL at 10PM CST (warmest to coldest), including wind speed.  About 9 hours of darkness to go!

Chicago (ORD):  1, NW 8 mph

DuPage Airport (DPA):  -3, NW 5 mph

Rockford (RFD):  -7, calm

De Kalb (DKB):  -9, W 8 mph

Joliet (JOT):  -9, SW 3 mph

Kankakee (IKK):  -13, W 3 mph

Aurora (ARR):  -18, W 7 mph

Rochelle (RPJ):  -21, SW 7 mph

If Rochelle goes calm for an extended period, they might have a chance to challenge the state record.

If Rochelle goes calm for an extended period, they might have a chance to challenge the state record.

Agree...although of course any bump in wind speed after going calm (even for a brief time) can bounce the temp up too much for it to "recover" (back downward).  Should be fun to watch.

They are already 17 degrees colder than last night at this time...and it fell to -27 last night.

Mich-

Great pictures.  Those cardinals are always so nice to see in a landscape void of any real color.  Weird that you have fox squirrels around.  I only see those in rural areas around here.

I got those too around here. They seemed to have moved into the area in recent years.

Blue Jays also have added color to the landscape here. A lot of them have frequented the feeders lately.

-18° at Black River Falls now.

-13 here. Been as cold as -14. Temps have been bouncing around like crazy tonight.

I've often wondered why the temperature can bounce around a lot when it's really cold, both in daylight and at night. You don't see that with moderate or hot temperatures. Sometimes, for example, I'll see my temperature warm up by a degree Celsius before cooling back down. Is this due to wind?

Various locations in NE/NC IL at 11PM CST (warmest to coldest), including wind speed.  

The UHI at ORD is ridiculous.  They have 13" of snow on the ground and still can't radiate at all.  Must be fun to have jet exhaust, parking lots, and thousands of cars running in the area 24/7.  Kankakee (50 miles south of ORD) is 13 degrees colder, with about the same snow depth and wind speed.

Chicago (ORD):  1, NW 6 mph

DuPage Airport (DPA):  -5, W 3 mph

De Kalb (DKB):  -6, W 9 mph

Rockford (RFD):  -9, S 5 mph

Joliet (JOT):  -11, calm

Kankakee (IKK):  -12, W 6 mph

Aurora (ARR):  -18, W 6 mph

Rochelle (RPJ):  -19, SW 5 mph

I've often wondered why the temperature can bounce around a lot when it's really cold, both in daylight and at night. You don't see that with moderate or hot temperatures. Sometimes, for example, I'll see my temperature warm up by a degree Celsius before cooling back down. Is this due to wind?

I think the deep/dry snow cover can help strengthen the low-level inversion a bit, making for large changes with any disruption in the layer effect from the inversion.  The deep/dry snow cover allows the very cold air to settle right to the surface with very little convective warm currents being allowed to radiate upward from the surface to help mix things.  So any disruption to the extreme inversion on nights like this would likely only come from the wind stirring things up. 

Various locations in NE/NC IL at 11PM CST (warmest to coldest), including wind speed.  

The UHI at ORD is ridiculous.  They have 13" of snow on the ground and still can't radiate at all.  Must be fun to have jet exhaust, parking lots, and thousands of cars running in the area 24/7.  Kankakee (50 miles south of ORD) is 13 degrees colder, with about the same snow depth and wind speed.

Chicago (ORD):  1, NW 6 mph

DuPage Airport (DPA):  -5, W 3 mph

De Kalb (DKB):  -6, W 9 mph

Rockford (RFD):  -9, S 5 mph

Joliet (JOT):  -11, calm

Kankakee (IKK):  -12, W 6 mph

Aurora (ARR):  -18, W 6 mph

Rochelle (RPJ):  -19, SW 5 mph

Just upriver at Sterling they're down to -24.

When the ambient air mass isn't all that cold at 850 mb and/or 925 mb (like this evening), you need perfectly clear skies, light winds, and deep snowpack to get really cold temps to generate radiational cooling.  If anything disturbs this (such as clouds or wind) for even a short amount of time, the air mixes and temps shoot up.

This is different than the cold outbreak in early Jan 2014, which was mainly a cold advection event with a very cold air mass.

Had a few peaks of sun but the familiar gray quickly took over today. It hit 21F and felt balmy lol. I continued taking pics at a record pace this winter :lol:. Went to the park, and didnt go too far because walking in the deep snow is actually quite the workout!

Great photos michsnowfreak! I'm so jealous. I can only dream about that much snow. Here in my neighborhood we're down to 13 and headed towards another morning with lows in the single digits.

It wouldn't shock me if this is the last time we hit single digits this season with the warmup coming. Our below zero days are pretty much sure to be over as after today we've only had five instances where temperatures have gotten below zero this late into winter. Although, we have recorded single digit lows as late as March 28th.

Hmmm, I just found out this little fact. Pretty impressive considering it was in the wake of January 1999. It just goes to show how unpredictable the rest of the winter can be going forward. 

On February 11, 1999, the temperature rose to 70 degrees in Detroit. This is the earliest 70 degree day ever recorded in the city of Detroit!

Hmmm, I just found out this little fact. Pretty impressive considering it was in the wake of January 1999. It just goes to show how unpredictable the rest of the winter can be going forward. 

I literally cannot imagine that right now. 15 years ago, but feels like a lifetime ago.

Archived