Newest Member
    e46ds1x
February 2014 General Discussion

snowlover2

FWA record low destroyed:

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORTHERN INDIANA
0600 AM EST TUE FEB 11 2014

...DAILY RECORD COLD LOW TEMPERATURE SET AT FORT WAYNE...

A RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE OF 16 DEGREES BELOW ZERO WAS SET AT FORT
WAYNE THIS MORNING. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 6 BELOW SET IN

IT IS POSSIBLE THAT THE TEMPERATURE WILL FALL EVEN FURTHER THROUGH
SUNRISE. AN UPDATED REPORT WILL BE SENT LATER TODAY FOR THE FINAL
RECORD.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That winter was a disaster except for 3 weeks. Especially February 1999.

It was basically 5 weeks of winter total that dropped 60-70". The rest of it was ridiculous mild weather

I don't think many know that Detroit northern suburbs did that well.  There were a couple M59 corridor sneak/surprise/thread the needle storms in Feb/March.  There was one 4-8" Between Royal Oak and Sterling Heights(where I was living) that was completely un-forecasted.  If I recall DTW, DTX and FNT didn't get much from it.  While overall the winter was horrid for snow sports (less that January period).  We did end up well above normal snowfall (of course the famous bid dog helped accomplish that).

It was just a strange winter that looks good in the books and had one awesome 2 week period but overall kinda sucked!!!

That 70 degree day in February 1999 came while a group of us were on a ski trip :axe::ee:

I don't think many know that Detroit northern suburbs did that well.  There were a couple M59 corridor sneak/surprise/thread the needle storms in Feb/March.  There was one 4-8" Between Royal Oak and Sterling Heights(where I was living) that was completely un-forecasted.  If I recall DTW, DTX and FNT didn't get much from it.  While overall the winter was horrid for snow sports (less that January period).  We did end up well above normal snowfall (of course the famous bid dog helped accomplish that).

It was just a strange winter that looks good in the books and had one awesome 2 week period but overall kinda sucked!!!

That 70 degree day in February 1999 came while a group of us were on a ski trip :axe::ee:

There was 2 events that March. One dropped a 2-5" type snows and the bigger one just a day or two later dropped 4-8" which was way over hyped by TWC. Chicago to Detroit was Forecasted to get 6-12"...6" fell in Rochester

I remember having wicked thunderstorms in February 

I don't think many know that Detroit northern suburbs did that well. There were a couple M59 corridor sneak/surprise/thread the needle storms in Feb/March. There was one 4-8" Between Royal Oak and Sterling Heights(where I was living) that was completely un-forecasted. If I recall DTW, DTX and FNT didn't get much from it. While overall the winter was horrid for snow sports (less that January period). We did end up well above normal snowfall (of course the famous bid dog helped accomplish that).

I bought my first snowmobile in Jan 1999.... And traded it in a few months later for a quad. 19 yr old decision making on display.

I bought my first snowmobile in Jan 1999.... And traded it in a few months later for a quad. 19 yr old decision making on display.

That was the same year when Detroit sold off most of it's snow removal equipment before that winter left people stranded in there of homes for days...Even major cities makes 19 yr old decisions. :lol:  

-17 here as well. even Beaver Island, incased in miles and miles of ice hit -15. With L Michigan frozen, the weather is downright boring. at least with warmer temps next week, maybe I can begin to melt snow off. I can't do anything but go out in the driveway and look at chest high walls of snow.

Normal highs are still in the 20's here but if the snow is done, lets at least sport some 40's for highs. I DO NOT want snow cover until mid April like last year.

-17 here as well. even Beaver Island, incased in miles and miles of ice hit -15. With L Michigan frozen, the weather is downright boring. at least with warmer temps next week, maybe I can begin to melt snow off. I can't do anything but go out in the driveway and look at chest high walls of snow.

Normal highs are still in the 20's here but if the snow is done, lets at least sport some 40's for highs. I DO NOT want snow cover until mid April like last year.

Your in the wrong location then.

Looks like we torch for 3-5 days and then back into the cold. Pattern looks active too. I did my last good local ride 2 days ago, I don't expect the snow to be as nice by the following weekend and I'm in the UP this weekend.

It was basically 5 weeks of winter total that dropped 60-70". The rest of it was ridiculous mild weather

Consider yourself lucky if you got 5 weeks of anything useful. By my count it was 20 days of winter. Everything else was on par or worse than 2001-02 and 2011-12.

That being said, the 20 days were so awesome it was worth it. I'd live 1998-99 again in a heartbeat.

Consider yourself lucky if you got 5 weeks of anything useful. By my count it was 20 days of winter. Everything else was on par or worse than 2001-02 and 2011-12.

That being said, the 20 days were so awesome it was worth it. I'd live 1998-99 again in a heartbeat.

Hey don't forget the 2 week stretch in March. ;) 

Archived