Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
February 2014 General Discussion

snowlover2

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

-18 here this morning.  31st day below zero.  Thought we were done with the subzero lows, but tonight's point has been lowered to -5.

Now it's been lowered to -10.  Already back down to -3.  -13 in Sterling.

Thought this was pretty cool.  Just east of here in Harmon some people built a big igloo inside a gigantic snow drift.

http://wqad.com/2014/02/11/illinois-couple-builds-igloo-fit-to-live-in/

Been getting nice mood flakes all day, picked up a solid dusting.

Looked real pretty and strange with the sun setting through the broken clouds.

This morning was another first for me in this amazing winter. A snowband hugged....and i mean HUGGED the Detroit river. It was snowing at like a quarter mile visibility and it stayed stationary. I don't even know if it was from lake St Clair or the Detroit river or what. On my drive to work I went from heavy snow in my neighborhood to flurries about a half mile west. I had 0.7" of snow with 0.03" water, and driving home from work I could see the exact spot where the snow squall had set up shop because of where the snowbanks had a bit of a dirty look at the edge to fresh white. SSC liked to tease about a snow magnet, well I have to admit this mornings refresher is the true definition of snow magnet. Nothing forecast, nothing on radar, not a flake at DTW (though a T on the day from snow earlier in the morning). If not for the ASOS at Grosse Ile reporting snow much of the day I would have no other proof :lol:. Snapped this pic on the way to work. Three blocks past it, it was nothing but a stray flurry. And in the rearview mirror as I was driving on a E-W road, I could see the shroud of white behind me and clear ahead. Sort of similar to driving in and out of lake cells or bands, but this one just didnt move.

3896-800.jpg

Chiming in on the 1999 talk above. After a completely snowless Christmas season, we were buried in snow the first 2 weeks of January, and a near-record 2 feet depth on the 13th was down to just a T of depth by the 23rd. From late January thru February, we had 3 cementy cakey snowfalls (4.0" Jan 24/25...4.3" Feb 7 (total surprise)...3.5" Feb 23/24) each of which lasted on the ground not a full 2 days. Other than that, a sea of warmth...and I remember the 70F day on 2-11-99 as I was riding my bike with my cousin and I remember watching the old snowbanks dripping. Then winter returned for another weeklong visit in early March gave us 2 more snowstorms, 8.3" on the 5/6th and 4.3" on the 9th. A very strange winter.

Chiming in on the 1999 talk above. After a completely snowless Christmas season, we were buried in snow the first 2 weeks of January, and a near-record 2 feet depth on the 13th was down to just a T of depth by the 23rd. From late January thru February, we had 3 cementy cakey snowfalls (4.0" Jan 24/25...4.3" Feb 7 (total surprise)...3.5" Feb 23/24) each of which lasted on the ground not a full 2 days. Other than that, a sea of warmth...and I remember the 70F day on 2-11-99 as I was riding my bike with my cousin and I remember watching the old snowbanks dripping. Then winter returned for another weeklong visit in early March gave us 2 more snowstorms, 8.3" on the 5/6th and 4.3" on the 9th. A very strange winter.

Toronto will never live that winter down. It's the winter that our Mayor called in the army to help clear the snow. Toronto became the laughing stock of Canada.

Chicago had 1.2" of snow for the season on Dec 31, 1998.

Then 29.6" fell from Jan 1-23, 1999, punctuated by the 21.6" from the New Year's day blizzard.

Only 1.9" was recorded from Jan 24 to Feb 28, 1999.

And then...18.2" of snow from March 5-10, 1999. 

In the end, a season total of 50.9". One of the stranger big snowfall seasons there's ever been for Chicago.

Now it's been lowered to -10.  Already back down to -3.  -13 in Sterling.

Thought this was pretty cool.  Just east of here in Harmon some people built a big igloo inside a gigantic snow drift.

http://wqad.com/2014/02/11/illinois-couple-builds-igloo-fit-to-live-in/

Stop the madness already! lol
Very cool video btw.

I know it's 0° here already. Forecast is saying -2° only by 5am and then up!

---

Very nice stonehenge Bo. Too bad your roof collapsed. :(
I guess a sign that your winter has been harsh too.

...This site is super slow tonight!

Is it really -15 in Ann Arbor? Here in Canton, 15 miles away, we are registering at +5. Seems odd.

Cold air in the Huron Valley. We are down to 2 here at DTW.

Similar difference between Toronto and Kitchener in Ontario. Toronto is at about +5F while Kitchener, less than an hour to the west is at about -15F! By the way, take a look at what Watertown, New York is registering! That place is an ice box and a snow magnet!

I think the deep/dry snow cover can help strengthen the low-level inversion a bit, making for large changes with any disruption in the layer effect from the inversion.  The deep/dry snow cover allows the very cold air to settle right to the surface with very little convective warm currents being allowed to radiate upward from the surface to help mix things.  So any disruption to the extreme inversion on nights like this would likely only come from the wind stirring things up. 

When the ambient air mass isn't all that cold at 850 mb and/or 925 mb (like this evening), you need perfectly clear skies, light winds, and deep snowpack to get really cold temps to generate radiational cooling.  If anything disturbs this (such as clouds or wind) for even a short amount of time, the air mixes and temps shoot up.

This is different than the cold outbreak in early Jan 2014, which was mainly a cold advection event with a very cold air mass.

Thanks for the info!

Toronto will never live that winter down. It's the winter that our Mayor called in the army to help clear the snow. Toronto became the laughing stock of Canada.

Rubes in places like Edmonton where I'm at look under rocks for reasons to bash Toronto. Could have been an objectively reasonable decision and it wouldn't matter. Textbook inferiority complex.

Rubes in places like Edmonton where I'm at look under rocks for reasons to bash Toronto. Could have been an objectively reasonable decision and it wouldn't matter. Textbook inferiority complex.

This. Toronto is really disliked in other areas of Canada, for a number of reasons. Traffic, the fact its a hectic place, ect.

This morning was another first for me in this amazing winter. A snowband hugged....and i mean HUGGED the Detroit river. It was snowing at like a quarter mile visibility and it stayed stationary. I don't even know if it was from lake St Clair or the Detroit river or what. On my drive to work I went from heavy snow in my neighborhood to flurries about a half mile west. I had 0.7" of snow with 0.03" water, and driving home from work I could see the exact spot where the snow squall had set up shop because of where the snowbanks had a bit of a dirty look at the edge to fresh white. SSC liked to tease about a snow magnet, well I have to admit this mornings refresher is the true definition of snow magnet. Nothing forecast, nothing on radar, not a flake at DTW (though a T on the day from snow earlier in the morning). If not for the ASOS at Grosse Ile reporting snow much of the day I would have no other proof :lol:. Snapped this pic on the way to work. Three blocks past it, it was nothing but a stray flurry. And in the rearview mirror as I was driving on a E-W road, I could see the shroud of white behind me and clear ahead. Sort of similar to driving in and out of lake cells or bands, but this one just didnt move.

3896-800.jpg

So THAT'S how it was aligned. Extremely interesting. Whatever it was, it's doing it again IMBY right now with another dusting. Also relatively warm with a temperature of 4 degrees while the airport sits at -2.

I was confused earlier when I was driving and it was snowing pretty hard, but in the distance I could see the sun reflecting off of the buildings downtown. I guess downtown is far enough east that wherever the band was at, it was just enough to miss out on it completely. Meanwhile along I-75, big flakes were falling.

Archived