EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
February 2014 General Discussion

snowlover2

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Local schools were originally scheduled to end on May 28th, but even with three built-in make up days, they now have to attend until June 10th. They're loving it now, but there are going to be a lot of unhappy kids, and unhappier teachers, after Memorial Day.

End of May. Some lucky kids. I always had to go to the end of June. When does class start up again down there?

Down to 0° currently here. Hopefully the wind keeps mixing the lower atmosphere up tonight.

Epic picture that was shown on WGN tonight.

1535428_10152156720756760_346246658_n.jp

Casa de Strauss on the Carroll-Ogle County line between the towns of Polo and Milledgeville Monday. - Patrick McPherson

Down to 0° currently here. Hopefully the wind keeps mixing the lower atmosphere up tonight.

Epic picture that was shown on WGN tonight.

1535428_10152156720756760_346246658_n.jp

Casa de Strauss on the Carroll-Ogle County line between the towns of Polo and Milledgeville Monday. - Patrick McPherson

That Patrick McPherson is a radio DJ from the Polo area.  He's a big time weather weenie, and always gives detailed weather forecasts on his early morning shows during the week.  Kind of cool to have a local radio DJ read the forecast off and also add in little tidbits on what he thinks will happen lol.

Down to -3 here. 

Haven't seen one before, but looks like the Snowy Owls are out in record numbers according to the KW Record http://www.therecord.com/news-story/4300028-arctic-snowy-owls-are-flocking-south/

You can also submit your observation here: http://ebird.ca/sightings.jsp

Great, thanks for the links. Hoping to see another one but seem unlikely, especially being in the suburbs. I'm thinking its a good omen for the rest of the winter haha.

Min temps this morning, as of 7:00AM.

Terre Haute: -14º

Bloomington: -13º

Fort Wayne: -13º (daily record setter for today, but the old one was kind of a cheapie, -8º)

Zionsville: -12º

Goshen: -11º

Lafayette: -11º

Makes the -4 at DTW seem like a cakewalk. Coldest temperature in MI currently is -9 in Adrian.

Min temps this morning, as of 7:00AM.

Terre Haute: -14º

Bloomington: -13º

Fort Wayne: -13º (daily record setter for today, but the old one was kind of a cheapie, -8º)

Zionsville: -12º

Goshen: -11º

Lafayette: -11º

As I posted above, the min max for Fort Wayne is 12°. I think we can break 2 temp records today. Cold as all get out, but it's all about the records. :)

As I posted above, the min max for Fort Wayne is 12°. I think we can break 2 temp records today. Cold as all get out, but it's all about the records. :)

Indeed. Have to break 'em when you get the opportunity.

On another note, yesterday from 4:00AM to the end of the day...LAF never rose above 4º. Very impressive for February. And with full sunshine from 11:00AM to sunset, to boot.

There have been a lot of areas in this region (not so much the city) that have required people to leave their faucets running just a little.  We also had a few water pipes break in the city a few weeks back that required some lanes of traffic be closed so they could rip the roads apart... i've never seen this happen around here.  Must be very deep frost this year in the ground.

Looking like a quiet pattern for the next few days.  Temp forecast for the next 8-10 days, are showing a moderation in temps toward next weekend, heading up to the upper 20's low 30's it appears.  After tomorrow's snow, doesn't seem to be anything in the forecast really. 

Incredible water main break scene. Never seen anything like that. There has been some breaks around here, but not to the extent where cars got stuck or not even enough water to block traffic completely. 

Up to 8° now. Making more progress than yesterday. 

ARB still sitting at 1F  :shiver:

I love the staying power we have had this winter but this cold has tested even me at times.  I do tons of winter activities and get out as much as possible but these single digit during the days have landed even me in the house occasionally.

I was looking at your signature and I would honestly say AA's annual snow fall is more like 50-55".  While yes the past decade average may be above 55"+ in the Irish Hills to the Upper Huron River Watershed areas in SW MI ... the long term average is closer to 50".

I love the staying power we have had this winter but this cold has tested even me at times.  I do tons of winter activities and get out as much as possible but these single digit during the days have landed even me in the house occasionally.

I was looking at your signature and I would honestly say AA's annual snow fall is more like 50-55".  While yes the past decade average may be above 55"+ in the Irish Hills to the Upper Huron River Watershed areas in SW MI ... the long term average is closer to 50".

My gear keeps me pretty warm as long as the temp is about zero, below zero I start to feel it... 

At home, I use a sleep machine that produces humidity to breathe while sleeping, its much nicer not cranking the whole home humidifier and having dripping windows. 2008-2009 winter was horrible with all the soaked window sills and even a wet dry wall sheet on the bathroom ceiling.

Odd thing, my December gas usage was more than January. I can't explain this one.

I brought this up before.... 

Outside of northern Oakland county and maybe the thumb region, nobody in SE Michigan averages more than 55 inches. I would put Ann Arbor at 48 inches, Detroit at 42 inches and Howell at 50 inches.

The one advantage for northern Oakland and Livingston is staying power. We hold onto snow better than metro Detroit and possibly Ann Arbor as a whole.

Archived