joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2014 General Discussion

snowlover2

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know I wonder what schools are going to do aboutthis winter? The local school district here in Bowling Green is currently on their 14th snow day of the year meaning they must make up 9. A few more storms or arctic outbreaks and they may not get out until almost July since now they're backed up till the 11th

Not a cloud to be found here...i had -10.2F when i woke.

NAEFS is a broken record...  California is so screwed.

http://collaboration.cmc.ec.gc.ca/cmc/ensemble/naefs/semaine2/images/2014020600_054@007_E1_north@america_I_NAEFS@TEMPERATURE_anomaly@probability@combined@week2_198.png

8-14 day CPC forecast at least shows northern California turning wet.

EURO showing California north of Santa Barbara getting pounded by moisture, especially days 3-10. Up to 8" in the north.

You know I wonder what schools are going to do aboutthis winter? The local school district here in Bowling Green is currently on their 14th snow day of the year meaning they must make up 9. A few more storms or arctic outbreaks and they may not get out until almost July since now they're backed up till the 11th

Wow, that's some liberal use of snow days. I know you've had a snowy winter but snow days should only be called if there's a legitimate threat of the children becoming stranded.

All throughout elementary/high school I only had 1 official snow day. Of course, I skipped a bunch more out of my own volition, but that's another story :lol:

In MI they are trying to figure out what to do since there have been so many snow/cold days.  Last I heard is they are considering to just forget about it since it is so widespread.

Wow, that's some liberal use of snow days. I know you've had a snowy winter but snow days should only be called if there's a legitimate threat of the children becoming stranded.

All throughout elementary/high school I only had 1 official snow day. Of course, I skipped a bunch more out of my own volition, but that's another story :lol:

They would not close our schools unless there was already 4-6" down at 5AM with another 4-6"+ more in the forecast.  Let just say we did not have many!!!  They never closed due to cold even if most other areas did.  There is a reason (long story) behind their rules with that superintendent.  No I didn't get many ... Not even the Blizzard of 1978!!!!!  No joke.

Best part I would get my snow-days as my mom had no problem calling them in for me.  :pimp:

They would not close our schools unless there was already 4-6" down at 5AM with another 4-6"+ more in the forecast.  Let just say we did not have many!!!  They never closed due to cold even if most other areas did.  There is a reason (long story) behind their rules with that superintendent.  No I didn't get many ... Not even the Blizzard of 1978!!!!!  No joke.

Best part I would get my snow-days as my mom had no problem calling them in for me:pimp:

haha, me too. Of course, I had to negotiate (read: whine) a bit.

Chicago has already extended the school year until the 13th of June. Some schools in SE Wisconsin have a couple snow/cold days built into the calendar. Since most had 4 days off from the cold, then 2 days will have to be made up.

I remember having 5 days off one school year. 4 for cold and one for snow. School year was extended in that case.

8-14 day CPC forecast at least shows northern California turning wet.

EURO showing California north of Santa Barbara getting pounded by moisture, especially days 3-10. Up to 8" in the north.

Lets hope so..the amount of food that comes out of California is huge...giant drought is going to kill off a lot of fruit trees.

Here is our warm up?

ecmwfUS_850_temp_168.gif

Upper 20Fs!  heat wave!

Best part I would get my snow-days as my mom had no problem calling them in for me.  :pimp:

I can only recall two snow days in my school career. The first was in December 1992, the second was in January 1999, and even then it was only cancelled for the afternoon.

They would not close our schools unless there was already 4-6" down at 5AM with another 4-6"+ more in the forecast. Let just say we did not have many!!! They never closed due to cold even if most other areas did. There is a reason (long story) behind their rules with that superintendent. No I didn't get many ... Not even the Blizzard of 1978!!!!! No joke.0

Best part I would get my snow-days as my mom had no problem calling them in for me. :pimp:

Oh yes, I remember those days. Moms hate driving you to school in the snow as much as you hate going to school when it's snowing.

My mom was the same way. She wouldn't call in, but she would write a good excuse for me.

For Detroit Public Schools, the general threshold for closing schools is 6" on the ground by the time the kids get ready for schools. Of course, there are exceptions to that, such as (like you said) when heavy snow is expected to have accumulated by the time school lets out.

The thing with yesterday though was how borderline its impacts were (3-6" were forecasted during the morning commute with only a WWA). I'm thinking had many districts not already used up their snow days for the season, they would have closed yesterday.

Oh yes, I remember those days. Moms hate driving you to school in the snow as much as you hate going to school when it's snowing.

My mom was the same way. She wouldn't call in, but she would write a good excuse for me.

For Detroit Public Schools, the general threshold for closing schools is 6" on the ground by the time the kids get ready for schools. Of course, there are exceptions to that, such as (like you said) when heavy snow is expected to have accumulated by the time school lets out.

The thing with yesterday though was how borderline its impacts were (3-6" were forecasted during the morning commute with only a WWA). I'm thinking had many districts not already used up their snow days for the season, they would have closed yesterday.

Driving yesterday was among the worst this season...a lot of parents were mad. Oh well...suck it up!

Achieved normal February snow on 5th day of the month. Sshweet.

Good because there's not much on the horizon. Would be nice to see Feb finish below normal temp-wise. March is my least favourite month (slushfest) so I'm hoping February will at least stay interesting until the end. If its going to warm up at least make it balmy with a lot of rain so we can get some action on the rivers. Good snowpack so if the right conditions set up we could see something big. Lot of ice too which could make for some interesting jams.

Probably had about 4-5 snow days that I can remember, and a hurricane day when I was in 5th or 6th grade, but I can't remember what storm it was. Turned out to be a huge bust and the school board took some flak.

Good because there's not much on the horizon. Would be nice to see Feb finish below normal temp-wise. March is my least favourite month (slushfest) so I'm hoping February will at least stay interesting until the end. If its going to warm up at least make it balmy with a lot of rain so we can get some action on the rivers. Good snowpack so if the right conditions set up we could see something big. Lot of ice too which could make for some interesting jams.

Probably had about 4-5 snow days that I can remember, and a hurricane day when I was in 5th or 6th grade, but I can't remember what storm it was. Turned out to be a huge bust and the school board took some flak.

Hurricane Isabel in 2003? IIRC some school boards shut down for the day, but WRDSB remained open.

Hurricane Isabel in 2003? IIRC some school boards shut down for the day, but WRDSB remained open.

Hmm that would've been grade 8 for me but I was at the same school so that's probably the one.

On another note, saw a snowy owl last night in my neighborhood. That's how you know its been a good winter. Haven't seen one in my 20 years of living here. Very cool.

This is some legit cold today, for early February. Sitting at 3 degrees at 3:00pm on a completely sunny afternoon.

Agree!  Even ORD has been sitting at 4 degrees all afternoon...not bad, considering the UHI there, plus 100% sunny with a much higher sun angle than a month ago.  Amazing what a deep snowpack can do; the airmass iteslf isn't all that cold.

Hmm that would've been grade 8 for me but I was at the same school so that's probably the one.

On another note, saw a snowy owl last night in my neighborhood. That's how you know its been a good winter. Haven't seen one in my 20 years of living here. Very cool.

Haven't seen one before, but looks like the Snowy Owls are out in record numbers according to the KW Record http://www.therecord.com/news-story/4300028-arctic-snowy-owls-are-flocking-south/

You can also submit your observation here: http://ebird.ca/sightings.jsp

Looks like there might be something around the 13th-14th.

Archived