Newest Member
    joxey
February 2014 General Discussion

snowlover2

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I LOVE grumpy cat!

It is an absolute disaster downriver today. Everything is an ice rink. The core sample in 12" snowpack is 2.4", which means there is an insane amount of water in the pack and plenty of runoff has caused one big ice rink every surface that is not snowcovered, and salt will do absolutely nothing as temps plummet later on. If we were in Atlanta we could just blame the Rapture or not leave the house for a month. No more rain please mother nature, one day was more than enough. Back to our regularly scheduled epic winter please :)

Here Josh I took a quick picture (phone camera) yesterday of the drifts  (this is about 1/2 mile from my house).  While this is definitely not the biggest drift around but it was one of the better looking ones IMO.

post-9939-0-13127100-1391448519_thumb.jp

~24° temperature increase already here today.

Not bad. 

I haven't looked at any soundings, but I'm wondering what made today's radiational cooling setup so much better than what we had a week ago or so.  We had near calm conditions then also.  What I'm guessing is the calm conditions extended further aloft than what we had with the last cold setup.  Maybe winds just off the surface stirred too much with that last setup, vs a deeper calm zone in the lower several hundred feet today. 

Not bad. 

I haven't looked at any soundings, but I'm wondering what made today's radiational cooling setup so much better than what we had a week ago or so.  We had near calm conditions then also.  What I'm guessing is the calm conditions extended further aloft than what we had with the last cold setup.  Maybe winds just off the surface stirred too much with that last setup, vs a deeper calm zone in the lower several hundred feet today. 

Cyclone0

Must be ...the bluff (about 500ft above me) had a low around -2F, while areas in the low pockets (like Sparta and BRF) had -25F.  Must have been almost perfect conditions...plus, wasn't the high pressure sitting right over our heads? 

Cyclone0

Must be ...the bluff (about 500ft above me) had a low around -2F, while areas in the low pockets (like Sparta and BRF) had -25F.  Must have been almost perfect conditions...plus, wasn't the high pressure sitting right over our heads? 

Yeah it was, but I'm thinking the depth of the stillness extended higher into the boundary layer this morning, allowing for the inversion to setup almost perfectly for ultimate drainage.  Maybe the boundary layer was a little too "mixy" towards the top portions with the previous setup.  Just a guess.

My driveway is still snow covered, but its starting to melt some.  The ground must just be so cold. 

Day 8-10 euro...12z still shows the warm up...looks like the cold air gets park in western Canada.  Should have a nice few days to melt off some of the glacier.  Would love a few days of 40Fs... 

Yeah EURO showing 2m temps 10-20° above normal by mid week. Should translate into 40s for sure.

nothing melted of my or the neighbors south facing driveway..  I know you want spring but jesus its no wonder we give you crap about your snow measurements

I guess it makes a difference when you have a parking lot full of cars vs. an empty driveway. I got home and I still have a little on the driveway.

I think I've concluded I won't be up for moving to a snowier climate than this. After awhile cabin fever sets in.

Sunset tonight.

1012066_10203185038493723_405864047_n.jp

We had some concrete melt in RFD, obviously purely attributable to the sun. Nothing to write home about, but the ol sun was doing its higher angle thing.

`

weird.. nothing melted here if there was no salt contamination and you were 5 degree colder around 14.  no dripping off the roof either which surprised me and the snow was still fluffy where facing south.

Cyclone-

Early next week looks horrible on the GFS... should rack up some more subzero temps. 

Our "heat wave" next week doesn't look too hot or long lasting...

I'm punting until after the middle of the month. 

Can't get anything to melt (even the roads in some areas) without some milder air. 

6F right now with a nice breeze...just a dusting of snow.

Cyclone-

Early next week looks horrible on the GFS... should rack up some more subzero temps. 

Our "heat wave" next week doesn't look too hot or long lasting...

I'm punting until after the middle of the month. 

Can't get anything to melt (even the roads in some areas) without some milder air. 

6F right now with a nice breeze...just a dusting of snow.

EURO showing temps up close to freezing at least. It could be the next week before anything warmer comes in.

GFS gradually pushes the western ridge in our direction as we head towards the week of the 16-22nd.

Consecutive Days with a Low Temperature Below Zero at Duluth

Today, February 5th, marks the 17th day in a row with a low temperature below zero at Duluth. The last day a low temperature was zero or above was on January 19th with a low temperature of 13 degrees. The record for consecutive days of a minimum temperature below zero at Duluth is 22 days. A couple of stretches achieved that mark. The first 22 day string was from January 17th through February 7th 1936. The second was from January 10th through January 31st 1963. Low temperatures are forecasted below zero at Duluth through Monday night, thus the record  would be tied at that time.

Archived