mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
Down to the wire and models are saying wtf? 12/19-20 event

weathafella

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any official measurements from Logan? Is the measurable streak officially over?

We'll have a measurement around 7 pm. The observer calls us every 6 hours when there is measureable snow.

But yes, I think it's safe to say the streak is O V U H :arrowhead:

OK thanks!

Looks like another good burst of snow next few hours for the Cape - enjoy!

Tougher call for BOS but still some decent reflectivity headed onshore...so at least some 1SM -SN coming in (if not 3/4). This band is not being handled well by models at all, even the 18z runs from what I can see. It looks like it's tied to mid level frontogenesis field, which is aligned more into Maine. So, it should weaken somewhat across eastern Mass as it shifts west of that axis, but should still bring some steady snow onshore.

Thanks for the explanation Joe - tough storm to forecast all along I'd imagine - no consistency from models even within 36 hrs - seems the NAM did a great job with the cape and a decent job further NW (amplified QPF a bit too much it seems).

I guess the NAM was the first model to bring this event back from the dead and show Eastern Mass may actually have a snowstorm. It will have to be given some respect for that. :)

Winter wonderland out of my office window......and snowing harder again as that band moves in.......who'd have thunk! (Me...I brought my snowmocs into work.....usually the kiss of death for snow...).

Animated Infrared Satellite imagery

Unbelievable, looks like the storm has slowed down a lot. Look at that convection that continues to develop and push westward. Just look at the storm's structure. Comma head and everything, frontal boundary. Just wow, classic extratropical cyclone structure. Can't believe there are not more posts here about this classic storm. I understand it is a little too far east, but that structure is simply amazing to look at.

Animated Infrared Satellite imagery

Unbelievable, looks like the storm has slowed down a lot. Look at that convection that continues to develop and push westward. Just look at the storm's structure. Comma head and everything, frontal boundary. Just wow, classic extratropical cyclone structure. Can't believe there are not more posts here about this classic storm. I understand it is a little too far east, but that structure is simply amazing to look at.

:weenie: :weenie: :weenie:

Going to walk home...in the snow. Then I plan to spend some time outdoors. Damn I'm lucky to be healthy at this age and still jones for snow!

Sadly, I recieved word today that a dear friend of mine, and fellow snow weenie died over the weekend. He and his family ran a ski shop in Leominster for 56 years before it closed a while back.

He enjoyed telling me about Feb of 1969 and always wore a "Think Snow" pin on the lapel of his jacket when he taught classes next door to me.

Ed H. R.I.P.

I am a weather weenie for sure, lol. Heaviest snows now entering the Cape Cod National Seashore and should be here in another 10-20 minutes. Snowfall rates exceeding an inch and hour perhaps in this band. The snow has a cold feeling to it, you know you can feel a certain temperature with the snowfall. This morning is was a wet kind of warm snowfall, tonight it is a cold snowfall as temperatures have fallen below 32f. Classic extratropical cyclone signature on infrared satellite imagery.

They are missing out again in all of Nova Scotia and most of southern New Brunswick it looks like. So much mild marine air being pulled up. Even Fredericton (well inland) is just a few inches of snow and then heavy rain warnings. They even have Edmundston (adjacent from Caribou) mixing with a lot of rain.

Wow congrats everybody seeing snow! Glad somebody got something out of this

Sadly, I recieved word today that a dear friend of mine, and fellow snow weenie died over the weekend. He and his family ran a ski shop in Leominster for 56 years before it closed a while back.

He enjoyed telling me about Feb of 1969 and always wore a "Think Snow" pin on the lapel of his jacket when he taught classes next door to me.

Ed H. R.I.P.

Condolences man, may he rest in eternal blizzard heaven.

Archived