Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Down to the wire and models are saying wtf? 12/19-20 event

weathafella

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Animated Infrared Satellite imagery

Unbelievable, looks like the storm has slowed down a lot. Look at that convection that continues to develop and push westward. Just look at the storm's structure. Comma head and everything, frontal boundary. Just wow, classic extratropical cyclone structure. Can't believe there are not more posts here about this classic storm. I understand it is a little too far east, but that structure is simply amazing to look at.

:weenie:

Haha... it is impacting a very small geographical area right now and I actually think there have been a lot of posts regarding it. This thread is the fastest growing in this sub-forum. I know what you are saying though... Whenever it is snowing outside you always want to talk about it with whoever will listen lol.

Here are my obs...

18F

-SN (started about 15 minutes ago)

6.5" of snow depth prior to this event

BTV calling for 2-4" tomorrow and 2-5" on Wednesday from this ocean storm's moisture interacting with local topography

:weenie:

Haha... it is impacting a very small geographical area right now and I actually think there have been a lot of posts regarding it. This thread is the fastest growing in this sub-forum. I know what you are saying though... Whenever it is snowing outside you always want to talk about it with whoever will listen lol.

Here are my obs...

18F

-SN (started about 15 minutes ago)

6.5" of snow depth prior to this event

BTV calling for 2-4" tomorrow and 2-5" on Wednesday from this ocean storm's moisture interacting with local topography

I totally understand that as well. I think there have been quite the number of informative posts regarding this beast. Such a magnificent storm to watch though on satellite imagery.

not sure what type of rates are under that band...so far all ive got from eastham was "heavy snow. low visibility"

12 might be pushing it...10 seems achievable at this point though. who knows.

Yeah I think 10" is achievable.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TAUNTON MA628 PM EST MON DEC 20 2010MAZ022-210730-/O.EXT.KBOX.WS.W.0006.000000T0000Z-101221T1000Z/BARNSTABLE MA-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...CHATHAM...FALMOUTH...PROVINCETOWN628 PM EST MON DEC 20 2010...WINTER STORM WARNING NOW IN EFFECT UNTIL 5 AM EST TUESDAY...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN TAUNTON HAS EXTENDED THE WINTERSTORM WARNING UNTIL 5 AM EST TUESDAY.* LOCATIONS...BARNSTABLE COUNTY.* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW AND STRONG WIND GUSTS.* ACCUMULATIONS...5 TO 10 INCHES.* TIMING...SNOW...HEAVY AT TIMES THROUGH MIDNIGHT. SNOW TAPERING OFF TO SNOW SHOWERS TOWARD DAYBREAK TUESDAY.* IMPACTS...ACCUMULATION OF WET SNOW ON TREES AND POWER LINES COMBINED WITH STRONG WIND GUSTS MAY RESULT IN SCATTERED POWER OUTAGES. IN ADDITION...HAZARDOUS DRIVING CONDITIONS DUE TO SNOW COVERED ROADS.* WINDS...NORTH TO NORTHWEST WINDS 20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 45 MPH.PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...A WINTER STORM WARNING IS ISSUED WHEN AN AVERAGE OF 6 OR MOREINCHES OF SNOW IS EXPECTED IN A 12 HOUR PERIOD...OR FOR 8 OR MOREINCHES IN A 24 HOUR PERIOD. TRAVEL WILL BE SLOW AT BEST ON WELLTREATED SURFACES...AND QUITE DIFFICULT ON ANY UNPLOWED ORUNTREATED SURFACES.PLEASE STAY TUNED TO NOAA WEATHER RADIO...YOUR LOCAL MEDIA...ORGO TO WWW.WEATHER.GOV/BOX FOR FURTHER UPDATES ON THIS WEATHERSITUATION.$$

WINTER STORM WARNING

Man the NAM wasn't so bad after all.

class leading but it kind of laid a duck on this last band.

RGEM/GGEM were abysmal. As late as last night they had anythign significant out by the BM. Euro was okay I think, GFS bad, Nogaps bad, Ukmet terrible.

RUC was good, but it stunk today. Was terrible today but then again I dont think it's designed really to be picking up inbound threats from the east.

I have an overall question, does anyone have anyone feelings that this winter could wind up being like the 2005 winter season where SE Mass and CC were in the constant crosshairs of storms. Have nothing to validate this question, just mostly curiosity.

Archived