joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/21/14 Snowstorm Observations

WeatherFox

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At this point, I don't see how anyone anywhere on Long Island or the 5 boroughs ends up with less than 10" (and I could probably make that 12"); unless they're measuring improperly.  Bronx is running a little bit behind but they should catch up quickly.  Congrats all!

I'm thinking 15" here is a real possibility if we keep seeing snow rates like this. And Upton radar keeps showing heavy snow developing south of here. This is one awesome band.

Perfect flakes, ripping down in very heavy snow. Rapid accumulation.

Serious weather. Took a walk in the park around 1 pm, had to give it up by 1 :40, wind-driven snow and felt tingling in my nose. While loading the electric thrower into the car my hands began to sting. this is frostbite conditions. We seem to be under some good bands here in Woodbridge.

NEW YORK

...BRONX COUNTY...

SPUYTEN DUYVIL 1.2 131 PM 1/21 TRAINED SPOTTER

...NASSAU COUNTY...

UNIONDALE 1.0 101 PM 1/21 TRAINED SPOTTER

...NEW YORK COUNTY...

RIVERBEND HOUSES 1.5 130 PM 1/21 TRAINED SPOTTER

CENTRAL PARK 1.5 115 PM 1/21 CENTRAL PARK ZOO

...QUEENS COUNTY...

NYC/LA GUARDIA 1.5 102 PM 1/21 FAA CONTRACT OBSERVER

NYC/JFK AIRPORT 1.5 101 PM 1/21 FAA CONTRACT OBSERVER

REGO PARK 1.2 130 PM 1/21 TRAINED SPOTTER

...SUFFOLK COUNTY...

EAST NORTHPORT 1.5 115 PM 1/21 TRAINED SPOTTER

ISLIP AIRPORT 1.4 102 PM 1/21 FAA CONTRACT OBSERVER

UPTON 1.3 101 PM 1/21 NWS OFFICE

...WESTCHESTER COUNTY...

WHITE PLAINS 1.0 106 PM 1/21 TRAINED SPOTTER

Took me 35-40 minutes to get home, normally takes 10 minutes. Roads are terrible- do NOT underestimate how little traction you have on this type of snow. It gets in every nook and cranny of your tread and stays there. (Obviously I don't have snow tires lol)

Now I need to figure out food. So pissed I had to drive in to work today, glad they let us go early though. I think about now is the time when people should decide to just stay put.

Prob 3" of powder in Selden with temps near 17. Windchill is 2 ( wear gloves!)

post-1262-0-60051500-1390332099_thumb.jp

post-1262-0-25370900-1390332114_thumb.jp

post-1262-0-45275600-1390332134_thumb.jp

This is the kind of snow you need to take some time away from the computer and just enjoy...

Jus sayin

Jebwalk #2 shortly. Wind is a lot bigger deal than i expected, we only have about 2" but i have a completely clear roof and almost 1' drifts on my steps lol.

The amount of snow that must've fallen from that band in Monmouth County is incredible.  I work in Northern Ocean County where there was barely a trace at 12:00, when I got home to Lincroft there was 8.5 inches at 2:00, pretty incredible.

The amount of snow that must've fallen from that band in Monmouth County is incredible.  I work in Northern Ocean County where there was barely a trace at 12:00, when I got home to Lincroft there was 8.5 inches at 2:00, pretty incredible.

Damn Monmout has been the place for snow the past few years; when a colleague bought a house there in 2002 she was told relax it doesn't snow much here...were closing in around 3.5 in upper Middlesex Co. at this rate I thing maybe 8-9 for the area. but could be higher. Or lower?

Archived