joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 22-27th Clippers/Hybrids

Chicago Storm

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at the latest model guidance, it looks like there could be some lake effect snow off Lake Ontario tonight for the GTA. All models bring some QPF into the GTA. Maybe an inch or so of fluffy snow.

For the Friday night-Saturday clipper, I'm going for 2" or so with very strong winds.

For the Sunday-Monday clipper, I'm going to go the conservative route for now and call for 1-2". If models continue to trend north, I will likely raise the amounts.

not happening and not shown on anything i've seen

yeah....looks like some of the hi res models had been popping up enhancement from left over convergence as the next wave came through....but, that can't really be counted on for much at our locals imo....

my bad on jumping the gun a little bit yesterday

yeah....looks like some of the hi res models had been popping up enhancement from left over convergence as the next wave came through....but, that can't really be counted on for much at our locals imo....

my bad on jumping the gun a little bit yesterday

In your defense, that lake snow did show up on ABC7's 4pm microcast yesterday too. So no need to blame yourself.

12z NAM probably not done with some weenie runs for the Friday night/Saturday impulse/front. And it'll be too bullish until the end. But yeah, drops 0.27" LE on LAF.

No matter, I still think it's got potential for some relatively high impact stuff with the snow/wind combo...even if totals are only 1-2". Good luck measuring it though.

GGEM has similar precip.  I don't think we can write off the wetter solutions yet even if it seems a bit out of the ordinary.

GGEM has similar precip.  I don't think we can write off the wetter solutions yet even if it seems a bit out of the ordinary.

Based on what I've seen so far it looks like 3-5 inches isn't out of the question with west winds gusting up to 45-50mph for several hours. If the temps are cold enough could be a high impact event.

12z NAM is showing gust potential up to 60 mph here late Friday while the snow is falling.  Seems a bit overdone given forecast soundings not showing very good mixing but perhaps if things get "squally" enough it could enhance the gusts at the surface...almost like what you see in a thunderstorm. 

as weenie as they are (don't pretend like you don't look) clown maps actually do verify up this way quite a bit. anyway, GFS loving MI!!

Best state east of the Rockies for snow!

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Haha, maybe Alpena will finally get their 6" snowfall!

---

Not bad. Lot of runs to go though.

gfs_precip_mslp_east_35.png

There is something about Jan 26th, if you had to guess when there might be a Great Lakes snowstorm.

Most here would instantly remember the events in 1978 and 1967. However, in between was one of the largest snow squall outbreaks in Ontario history that started on Jan 26, 1971 and lasted about a week including a second storm system on the 31st. That one was particularly bad in Simcoe County north of Toronto as well as north of London.

Well, this looks like an increasingly active period and the Toronto snow shield may be about to come down. Tomorrow, I would be not be surprised if some lakeshore areas get persistent heavy snow from slow-moving narrow lake effect bands trapped in the decaying wind field ahead of the collapsing low. Wind directions near the surface may remain southeast to northeast over western Lake Ontario, watch for some 15-25 cm dumpage but rather hit or miss with 3-5 cm more widespread.

Friday night and Saturday, would expect 5-10 cm snowfalls with the fast-moving frontal wave and local enhancements to 20-30 cm in SSW wind snow belts. This often catches areas just east of Toronto as well as much of Niagara.

The Sunday night low appears capable of exploding into a major snowfall event across the region but in particular Toronto looks well positioned to pick up 15 cm or more. Track issues yet to be fully resolved and this could dive further south than optimal at the last minute, but the air masses are so frigid that any off-lake component can quickly deliver in this pattern.

The longer range begins to look even better for more organized heavy snowfalls, if there is slight retrogression as I expect. Sooner or later there will very likely be a region-wide snowstorm in the double digits, can't see this just fading away to bland zonality or suddenly going spring-like without a massive battle developing.

Would actually not be surprised to see further upward adjustments in qpf for Friday night. This sometimes happens with these types of fronts. Our only worthwhile system of 2011-12 was the feb 10th arctic front. All week long the models showed the front bringing a widespread stripe of light qpf with it (talking an inch or less), then last minute upward adjustments in qpf made the forecast of 1-2" look like we might be able to eek out 3", and I actually ended up with 4.9" of snow on 0.33" liquid, my biggest snowstorm of that winter. I also recall a similar front in 2003 (this was a time when Madison was FAR from a snow magnet) and what was a lackluster winter in that area to that point was rendered moot as 5" fell in a few hours with blizzard conditions, catching most off guard.

There is something about Jan 26th, if you had to guess when there might be a Great Lakes snowstorm.

Most here would instantly remember the events in 1978 and 1967. However, in between was one of the largest snow squall outbreaks in Ontario history that started on Jan 26, 1971 and lasted about a week including a second storm system on the 31st. That one was particularly bad in Simcoe County north of Toronto as well as north of London.

Well, this looks like an increasingly active period and the Toronto snow shield may be about to come down. Tomorrow, I would be not be surprised if some lakeshore areas get persistent heavy snow from slow-moving narrow lake effect bands trapped in the decaying wind field ahead of the collapsing low. Wind directions near the surface may remain southeast to northeast over western Lake Ontario, watch for some 15-25 cm dumpage but rather hit or miss with 3-5 cm more widespread.

Friday night and Saturday, would expect 5-10 cm snowfalls with the fast-moving frontal wave and local enhancements to 20-30 cm in SSW wind snow belts. This often catches areas just east of Toronto as well as much of Niagara.

The Sunday night low appears capable of exploding into a major snowfall event across the region but in particular Toronto looks well positioned to pick up 15 cm or more. Track issues yet to be fully resolved and this could dive further south than optimal at the last minute, but the air masses are so frigid that any off-lake component can quickly deliver in this pattern.

The longer range begins to look even better for more organized heavy snowfalls, if there is slight retrogression as I expect. Sooner or later there will very likely be a region-wide snowstorm in the double digits, can't see this just fading away to bland zonality or suddenly going spring-like without a massive battle developing.

Great post Roger. And for tonight's event, Environment Canada just issued a Special Weather Statement for the Golden Horseshoe for significant lake effect/enhanced snow.

From Environment Canada:

City of Toronto

1:21 PM EST Wednesday 22 January 2014

Special weather statement for

City of Toronto issued

Significant lake enhanced snowfall possible starting tonight.

Current information suggests the development of lake effect snow over Lake Ontario potentially impacting areas around the Golden Horseshoe. It is expected the snow band will develop in the late evening hours and persist into Thursday morning rush hour.

At the moment the exact location is difficult to determine but it is expected to generate local snowfall amounts on the order of 5 to 10 cm with poor visibilities of less than half a kilometre.

If the snow band remains stationary for a long period of time, then 15 cm of snow will be possible and a snow squall warning could be issued.

Motorists should exercise caution when driving around the Golden Horseshoe as hazardous driving conditions could develop due to accumulating snow and poor driving visibilities.

The public is advised to monitor future forecasts and warnings as warnings may be required or extended.

Please monitor the latest forecasts and warnings from Environment Canada at www.weatheroffice.gc.ca.

Archived