12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
January 22-27th Clippers/Hybrids

Chicago Storm

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Natasha Ramsahai and Adam Stiles of CityNews are pretty good too. As well as Chris Potter of CP24. BTW, Potter is not calling for any significant accumulations tonight, but mentioned that if the band moves onshore, areas from Toronto Island and points west towards Oakville would be favoured. Also, he's calling for a couple of inches for the Friday night-Saturday clipper and only flurries for the Sunday clipper (he says that most of the action will stay south).

I'm not a fan of Potter. I think he plays it too conservative with a lot of events. I remember him naysaying the ice storm even during the event.

I saw the heavy squall line developing around 830pm as I was about to head to Indianapolis. Tried to beat it home but it ended up hitting right as I was making my return trip south so I got to drive in it for 15 miles. It was by far the most intense and dangerous whiteout I've experienced.

Couldn't see the car in front of me or even the road at times due to blowing snow. I'll post up a timelapse if anyone wants to see when I'm done editing it. What would have made it worse is if the roads would have been completely covered. I'd probably be stuck in a ditch right now.

Downtown Indy as it was starting, moderate to heavy sn

post-1951-0-21489200-1390448119_thumb.jp

Whiteout conditions

post-1951-0-63974000-1390448182_thumb.jp

post-1951-0-93344900-1390448269_thumb.jp

I'm not a fan of Potter. I think he plays it too conservative with a lot of events. I remember him naysaying the ice storm even during the event.

Agree with this. He often has the lowest forecast snow amounts amongst the TV mets in the GTA. Sometimes he's correct, but there have been other times in the past where he was too conservative.

I know that Natasha has a B.Sc in Atmospheric Science and is pretty educated. I met her and she's fantastic at what she does. I disagree with her choice of models but everyone has their preferences.

She used to work at the The Weather Network back around 2000-2002 and for CBC in the latter part of the last decade before moving to CityNews in March 2011, replacing Michael Kuss (currently at CTV Vancouver).

This is a pretty good video from Canada's Weather Network summarizing what could happen this weekend. I like how they drew attention to the fact that the winds could be strong.

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/videos/gallery/all/video_gallery/strong-winds-snow-could-hamper-travel-in-ontario/sharevideo/3092559809001

How can you say this when nothing has even happened yet?

What are you talking about. The band has been sitting over the Lake for 4 hours. It has been drifting slightly to the east if anything. No short term guidance takes it onshore. Mesoanalysis shows the sfc low over MI continuing to fill, which is going to continue to promote a weak and variable flow. I know you're wilfully blind, that's your MO, but there's not a shred of evidence that suggests this will affect us.

But keep hoping and wishing. I'll use science and reason.

Another thing, now the GFS is progging the precip under and just east of the sfc low. Looks funny. I can see it displaced E and ENE of it but under it looks weird

I'm guessing the low is trailing behind the precip a bit, as the maps show precip that has accumulated in the previous 6hrs up to that time stamp.  May have a little arc to the precip band just ahead of the surface low.

What are you talking about. The band has been sitting over the Lake for 4 hours. It has been drifting slightly to the east if anything. No short term guidance takes it onshore. Mesoanalysis shows the sfc low over MI continuing to fill, which is going to continue to promote a weak and variable flow. I know you're wilfully blind, that's your MO, but there's not a shred of evidence that suggests this will affect us.

But keep hoping and wishing. I'll use science and reason.

The snow band seems to be getting quite close to Centre island...

EC just updated their forecast. Cut amounts to 2", locally (as in maybe an outer sandspit on one of the Toronto Islands).

LOL at the outer sandspit. But seriously, I'm right by the lakeshore near the Island Airport, so hopefully there will be some snow on the ground when I wake up tomorrow morning. It'll be interesting to see how far north the band penetrates in the city of Toronto, if it does at all. Does it go as far north as Bloor St? St. Clair? Eglinton? Hwy 401?

LOL at the outer sandspit. But seriously, I'm right by the lakeshore near the Island Airport, so hopefully there will be some snow on the ground when I wake up tomorrow morning. It'll be interesting to see how far north the band penetrates in the city of Toronto, if it does at all. Does it go as far north as Bloor St? St. Clair? Eglinton? Hwy 401?

No way this thing even touches Hwy 401. This will be a southern "event" if anything.

I would guess Oakville to Stoney Creek for the highest risk of >10 cm snowfall next 12-18h, but the circulation will be so weak that you can't rule out any shoreline incursions from Brighton to Rochester NY. The open water in Lake Huron may keep the feeble low alive a few extra hours then it will disappear once forced to compete with the circulation around the Maritimes low.

Friday night continues to look like a quick 5-10 cm, downslope may not apply given the almost southerly vectors ahead of the front. Could be more further east of Toronto due to lake enhancement. I can recall one or two cases of downtown Toronto seeing lake effect from S or SSW winds, it's in play if wind speeds are not too strong.

Sunday night continues to look like 10-15 cm potential, it's no powerhouse low but it does have an almost perfect track to max out over western Lake Ontario. Some lake enhancement could factor into that also.

You guys are a tough crowd if this period falls short of satisfying, but any sort of energy upgrade and we're looking at epic rather than interesting.

Archived