• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January 22-27th Clippers/Hybrids

Chicago Storm

dang, friday might not be half bad if this is any indication.

NAM/GFS underestimated the wind potential tonight invof the snow showers.  40+ mph gusts shouldn't have occurred given the progged speeds/mixing depth so Friday could get really interesting if the same thing happens.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you get accumulating snow without radar returns. If snow was blackjack...you'd have nonstop 21s.

:lmao:

I just dont get why theres no returns. The models advertised a widespread light qpf event. And while its the pixie dust variety, there still are some actual flakes, its not PURE dust.

DTW has been between 1.5-2.0 miles since 3pm yet there hasnt been any solidity at all to radar

http://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KDTW.html

I know it's frustration talk, but in reality we've officially already 2 and the decade has just started its 5th year.

I know you guys are talking friday but tonights LES snow band is so close. I noticed Buffalo called this a "tea kettle band" I don't think I've heard that term used much. Will be interesting to see if Ill be able to sneak out an inch or two from this

I guess 10  6"+ events will be bidecade occurrences from now on

Fixed. 

That's the downsloping off the Niagara Escarpment. You can see the same phenomenon in NE lower MI with the higher elevation to the west.

Honestly, when there's a sound meteorological reason for the screwage, I don't get so upset. SW winds = no go for snow here. That's just the rules of the game.

Yeah I understand that and unfortunately, when we do get the opportunity to see some mild action in the area, it turns out to be dud. How amusing, dont you say?  :yikes: Moreover, it's become a reoccurring theme where the GTA gets screwed over and usually its through some crazy phenomenon thats slowing edging towards a new norm for the city. Its like Mother Nature wants to f*ck over the seemingly snowy city. 

I know you guys are talking friday but tonights LES snow band is so close. I noticed Buffalo called this a "tea kettle band" I don't think I've heard that term used much. Will be interesting to see if Ill be able to sneak out an inch or two from this

There's been little westward motion. I had little hope as it is and trends aren't encouraging. Maybe we can get a dusting out of the synoptic.

Roger Smith's 6-10" band shall be an unrealized dream.

I feel bad for the Toronto weather media since I can see how this could be a surprise event. Don't want to say 5-10cm  and then have people wake up to light flurries and a dusting. The opposite is just as bad (maybe worse) because if you say flurries and the QEW commute is hit then people will be pissed 

I didn't see any of the newscasts. How hard were they hitting this? Aside from a couple of rogue RGEM runs I didn't see anything pointing towards this being more than a remote possibility.

Our "mets" if you can call them that are useless.

This. I often think that Farnell is the only competent one. Harold Hosein, Tom Brown and Claire Martin are awful. Good people I'm sure. But not great at the weather. They tend to want to say what they think the public wants to hear rather than what the weather is really going to do.

I didn't see any of the newscasts. How hard were they hitting this? Aside from a couple of rogue RGEM runs I didn't see anything pointing towards this being more than a remote possibility.

Not sure, I didn't catch them. This winter though is starting to really get to people. All Ive heard on campus is that this is crap haha. I'm actually okay with this pattern. Not often Toronto sees cold and consistent snow cover like this. The clippers haven't been big delivers but the consistent 1-3cm every few days have made it okay for me. 

:lmao:

I just dont get why theres no returns. The models advertised a widespread light qpf event. And while its the pixie dust variety, there still are some actual flakes, its not PURE dust.

DTW has been between 1.5-2.0 miles since 3pm yet there hasnt been any solidity at all to radar

http://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KDTW.html

Reflectivity is poor during extreme cold. We had 1 inch per hour snowfall rates during the blizzard a few weeks ago for 12 hours with the radar barely showing any returns. The tail end of this loop shows it quite nicely.

animation05.gif

This. I often think that Farnell is the only competent one. Harold Hosein, Tom Brown and Claire Martin are awful. Good people I'm sure. But not great at the weather. They tend to want to say what they think the public wants to hear rather than what the weather is really going to do.

Natasha Ramsahai and Adam Stiles of CityNews are pretty good too. As well as Chris Potter of CP24. BTW, Potter is not calling for any significant accumulations tonight, but mentioned that if the band moves onshore, areas from Toronto Island and points west towards Oakville would be favoured. Also, he's calling for a couple of inches for the Friday night-Saturday clipper and only flurries for the Sunday clipper (he says that most of the action will stay south).

Natasha Ramsahai and Adam Stiles of CityNews are pretty good too. As well as Chris Potter of CP24. BTW, Potter is not calling for any significant accumulations tonight, but mentioned that if the band moves onshore, areas from Toronto Island and points west towards Oakville would be favoured. Also, he's calling for a couple of inches for the Friday night-Saturday clipper and only flurries for the Sunday clipper (he says that most of the action will stay south).

If the GFS is right, we might get some snow on Monday as well.

I know that Natasha has a B.Sc in Atmospheric Science and is pretty educated. I met her and she's fantastic at what she does. I disagree with her choice of models but everyone has their preferences.

Archived