• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
January 22-27th Clippers/Hybrids

Chicago Storm

The snow is great, other than for traveling, but I could do without it being this cold. It is amazing that there really looks like no break coming. I mean we had at least a glimpse of a potential pattern change with the MJO finally moving but now it looks like it will move right back into the COD and the teleconnections, some are favorable but the EPO is still decently negative and that doesn't look to change anytime soon.

Would help if we could get that damn PNA to slip back towards neutral ( NAO stay positive ) and maybe even a lil negative as that would allow systems to once again start rolling in out of the sw and give us a little bit of a se ridge.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would help if we could get that damn PNA to slip back towards neutral ( NAO stay positive ) and maybe even a lil negative as that would allow systems to once again start rolling in out of the sw and give us a little bit of a se ridge.

That is one teleconnection that is forecast to play along, probably by the 1st, I know it is modeled to drop before then but I think there will be a latency of a few days.

The GFS has been a disaster lately. Its medium range was so badly sampled tonight. I doubt the shorter ranges will be much better. Just not a pattern for it obviously.

I agree, up until just a few runs ago, it was missing the cold altogether, but it has it now, and I feel it's the right idea. The blocking just won't be denied.  Even though the NAO is in a + state, the higher heights have set up over northern Greenland, thus causing storms to cut up the east coast a deliver a decent snowfall event.

Starting to look like a prolonged snow event for nw lower Friday-sun and maybe beyond. Could very well see a foot.

NW flow lake effect events will probably start shutting down for you because northern Lake Michigan is getting quite icy. You'll have to hope for SW flow enhanced events like you'll have Friday and Friday night. Not to mention that these extreme cold and dry airmasses aren't great for pure LES anyway. You get the pixie dust flakes.

I admire you guys standing strong...but the GFS is your only hope. That's like bringing a knife to a gun fight. But hey, meteorology not modelology, right? 

The retrograding vortex makes this setup a little different, and if it essentially phases in with the more westerly s/w...the EURO could be right. But like I said earlier, if the interaction is disjointed at all, you'll tend to get a weaker and more sheared out storm.

Also, the 2nd s/w, the one that'll form the clipper, isn't coming in from the Pacific from what I can tell. It's actually dropping straight down from the Arctic. I'm sure there's still tons of sampling issues to be resolved as well.

NW flow lake effect events will probably start shutting down for you because northern Lake Michigan is getting quite icy. You'll have to hope for SW flow enhanced events like you'll have Friday and Friday night. Not to mention that these extreme cold and dry airmasses aren't great for pure LES anyway. You get the pixie dust flakes.

Persistent pixie adds up over the days, plus doesn't have a high settle issue. Also, with strong sw winds for 2 days, APX thinks ice will compact/break up and get shoved further north, leaving the lake more open this weekend for snow. Also with a possible connection to superior, I could still do very well. After this weekend as far as ice goes, all bets are off on lake snows.

Euro has been horrendous this year. Always playing catch, last to the party it seems. GFS leading the way all winter

On the whole, the Euro has been not that much different, in terms of overall quality, compared to other models.  It has won some, it has lost many, but is the GFS or NAM really any different?

On the whole, the Euro has been not that much different, in terms of overall quality, compared to other models.  It has won some, it has lost many, but is the GFS or NAM really any different?

Agreed. Sounds like many here forget the Euro was the most consistent with the big one early this month. GFS caved last minute on that one.

LES making its way back to the western shoreline of Lake Michigan this morning. Not as intense though as before.

MKX.N0Q.20140123.1312.gif

The lake effect sure has been "sharing the wealth" lately! Back and forth it goes. I got an awesome dumping of snow yesterday, then farther south around Holland and South Haven got it last night, and now it is back to you guys, and then back here tomorrow on SW flow. Fun to watch!

Euro is north, but it looks like it blows up a bunch of intense snow squall action sun afternoon for much of the MW.  Could be fun.

yeah, both Friday/Sunday aren't likely to dump major amounts (although sunday has some moderate hit potential) but brief periods of non-zzzzz weather look likely.

Archived