northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
January 22-27th Clippers/Hybrids

Chicago Storm

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pivoting of the PV is going to allow the second s/w to amplify way more than I thought it would. I'll go ahead an abandon my call for an OV track. Serve me my crow.

Never doubt the king when it locks onto a storm. ;)

Sort of a wild ride for LAF on Sunday on the 0z NAM, with temps. And maybe 2-3" of total snow for the entire run...though thinking we may be closer to a T-1" when all is said and done.

Never doubt the king when it locks onto a storm. ;)

Sort of a wild ride for LAF on Sunday on the 0z NAM, with temps. And maybe 2-3" of total snow for the entire run...though thinking we may be closer to a T-1" when all is said and done.

attachicon.gif1:24 0z NAM LAF.png

No way.  Chad's 3-7" call for Friday to Sunday is looking pretty solid at this point.

Sunday event looks similar to 1-31-1971 (may include 1-30-1971 in Midwest) which I recall being a 6-hr outbreak of moderate snow ending with a sudden temp drop from near freezing to near zero (F). Add in lake effect or enhancement where applicable. Appears very likely to end with dangerous blowing snow and wind chill values, a widespread ground blizzard and over open country a true blizzard.

Can somebody post coldest ORD monthly values? I want to compare to end of this month.

We should easily get 2-3" tomorrow/Saturday so we'd have to get completely shut out on Sunday.

Trend is for tomorrow/Saturday to be not much of anything. NAM, which has been the most aggressive, has slashed totals with every run. And Sunday...it gonna torch. I like 1-2" total for everything.  

Sunday event looks similar to 1-31-1971 (may include 1-30-1971 in Midwest) which I recall being a 6-hr outbreak of moderate snow ending with a sudden temp drop from near freezing to near zero (F). Add in lake effect or enhancement where applicable. Appears very likely to end with dangerous blowing snow and wind chill values, a widespread ground blizzard and over open country a true blizzard.

Can somebody post coldest ORD monthly values? I want to compare to end of this month.

Here are the January monthly temps in Chicago (note ORD has only been the official site since 1980):

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/lot/?n=chi_jan_temp_rankings

Jan 2014 month-to-date thru 1/22 is 17.2F.

Trend is for tomorrow/Saturday to be not much of anything. NAM, which has been the most aggressive, has slashed totals with every run. And Sunday...it gonna torch. I like 1-2" total for everything.  

There's other models besides the NAM, and it's just coming more in line with the average model output of .15-.20 for us.  We should manage better than 10:1 ratios tomorrow/Saturday and maybe Sunday although that gets more tricky with the rapid WAA aloft.  Chad's upper range may be optimistic but I really don't see how we come out of this period with less than 3"

Archived