joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 22-27th Clippers/Hybrids

Chicago Storm

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

watching the radar you can also see the cold front crashing south behind the main line of precip just north of 80 in Iowa....

The visibility here in Cedar Rapids went from great to zero in a few seconds.  I literally could not see across the street.  I don't recall ever seeing anything like it.  With the front past us now the visibility has risen quite a bit.

a blend of a few of the RAP runs today actually handling things relatively well with placement of QPF shield...also looks like highest DBZ's are trying to consolidate along the 80 corridor...also handled relatively well by the RAP today....

still a solid looking shield to impact a large portion if not all of LOT...

not gonna lie....a little bit of :weenie: creeping in at the moment looking out west via radar and obs

The Tipton Co (2 counties north of Indianapolis) Highway Department shared these photos on Facebook.

NICE! some of the snow drifts in the open areas have to be beyond ridiculous with all the wind we have had.

As said...2.6" was the final here, which puts me at 35.0" for the month and 51.9" for the season. In the 18 years I have been recording snow, I have never had 50" before February. The closest I came was 49.4" on the season thru Jan 31, 2009. Also, I am over 3" higher than my previous snowiest month (31.8" - Feb 2011).

The temp has been rising all day on a S wind, but still its only 21F so we should avoid any melting which is still too close for comfort. While the snow certainly isnt as deep as it was in early January, in many areas the plowed snowbanks are much bigger than they were early in the month...mountains on every corner!

3799-800.jpg

3800-800.jpg

3801-800.jpg

NICE! some of the snow drifts in the open areas have to be beyond ridiculous with all the wind we have had.

As said...2.6" was the final here, which puts me at 35.0" for the month and 51.9" for the season. In the 18 years I have been recording snow, I have never had 50" before February. The closest I came was 49.4" on the season thru Jan 31, 2009. Also, I am over 3" higher than my previous snowiest month (31.8" - Feb 2011).

The temp has been rising all day on a S wind, but still its only 21F so we should avoid any melting which is still too close for comfort. While the snow certainly isnt as deep as it was in early January, in many areas the plowed snowbanks are much bigger than they were early in the month...mountains on every corner!

Some of the snow banks at the Fairlane Green shopping complex in Allen Park are ridiculous.

Have some snow drifts at the shop which are as tall as the porta poty next to them... Pics are coming tomorrow.

So for tonight I am leary of what to do. Scrape and salt will likely lead to icy patches with the cold front snow brimming out the salt with new snow. Or just leave the snow alone and keep the lot white but no icy conditions. I feel with the wind and blowing snow all the work of achieving asphalt will be wasted with the squall line like the other day.

So who's thinking this squall line will be just like the one yesterday ?? Dropping a quick 1/2" and temps plummeting to the point where salt is useless again.

Have some snow drifts at the shop which are as tall as the porta poty next to them... Pics are coming tomorrow.

So for tonight I am leary of what to do. Scrape and salt will likely lead to icy patches with the cold front snow brimming out the salt with new snow. Or just leave the snow alone and keep the lot white but no icy conditions. I feel with the wind and blowing snow all the work of achieving asphalt will be wasted with the squall line like the other day.

So who's thinking this squall line will be just like the one yesterday ?? Dropping a quick 1/2" and temps plummeting to the point where salt is useless again.

Given upstream radar returns I think it might surprise a few folks. Quick hitting with lots of wind, more significant blowing snow than last time with all the fresh powder. I'd say up to an inch is possible which I'd be very happy with.

Some of the snow banks at the Fairlane Green shopping complex in Allen Park are ridiculous.

Every huge parking lot ive seen has absolute mountains. Keep in mind....they survived the pre-Christmas thaw, so they have simply been added and added and added onto. As stebo mentioned before, snowpiles at the airport are 20 feet high (and that was said before the last several snowfalls). Even areas near main roads where you wouldnt typically see snowbanks have them.

Every huge parking lot ive seen has absolute mountains. Keep in mind....they survived the pre-Christmas thaw, so they have simply been added and added and added onto. As stebo mentioned before, snowpiles at the airport are 20 feet high (and that was said before the last several snowfalls). Even areas near main roads where you wouldnt typically see snowbanks have them.

I get kinda weary driving in some of the right hand lanes in the more populated areas in the city because some gigantic ice mountains jut out into the street a little bit in front of the parking spaces. Those things are like brick walls.

Archived