Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
January 22-27th Clippers/Hybrids

Chicago Storm

But the RAP is a whiff to the north. ;):lol:

Interestingly though, the 12z RGEM p-type maps bring a mixed bag through LAF later. Might make sense with temps getting so warm here today. Only thing that is really going to suck, is the snow cover is going to get vaporized. 

rap sucks...but wouldn't be surprised to see this ushered in with a quick mix or even rain before a quick changeover here.   If nothing else, should be an interesting show.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WRF-NNM furthest south.  Misses CR/QC/LAF to the south with the best snow squalls.  Lines up better from Des Moines to Burlington, down into central IL.  Still nice snows along I-80 corridor in IL but not as "squally".

Looks like it may clip LAF...but yeah, best is to the south of here. Pretty nice looking line of fun.

Looks like it may clip LAF...but yeah, best is to the south of here. Pretty nice looking line of fun.

Forecasting this thing is kind of similar to forecasting a convective complex in the warm season.  Looks like the best squalls should line up just south of the tight boundary layer baroclinic zone.  The comma head should roll right along that boundary, wherever that sets up.  The warmer we get the better chance we get in on the squall part of the complex.

The farther east you are, the less warmth makes it in I think. Should be a brief warm up for you guys...but nothing like what will transpire here. It'll be an all day assault for LAF. Just cracked 35º on my thermometer...a 22º rise since 8:00 AM. Snow melting like a mother...

At least we got something this morning. 

Forecasting this thing is kind of similar to forecasting a convective complex in the warm season.  Looks like the best squalls should line up just south of the tight boundary layer baroclinic zone.  The comma head should roll right along that boundary, wherever that sets up.  The warmer we get the better chance we get in on the squall part of the complex.

Yeah. The ones that we had roll through here Wednesday night were very intense. And we didn't have nearly the temp gradient as this one looks to have. Could be electric for those that get underneath those bands.

Unfortunately I have a social engagement at a local watering hole with my lady friend tonight, so no video from me most likely. :(:D 

Snow depth is more less a meaningless statistic right now but UofM recorded a 8" depth yesterday so after today it should be double digits.

Crossed 50" for the season yesterday too.

Back to pixie dust snow here after a period of parachutes

Got some records within reach. And poor NE lower. They've been our sister region in screwage the last 5-6 years.

image009.png

a co-op over in Maple city (Leelanau) has 154" already.  the NW lower coast here has a shot at 180-200"... I'm in awe!

And the hour drive between Houghton Lake and Gaylord, and a 100" spread is crazy.

Up, up, and away. 50º or bust!  :maphot:

LAF hourly graph. 

attachicon.gif1:26 ob graph.gif

It is amazing to me that even with all this cold air, the warm air can push in so strongly.

Since the system snows were slightly north of guidance (in terms of the heaviest banding) it wouldn't be out of the question to see a shift north with the arctic frontal snows.

Often times these bands extend farther than they are predicted.

Got 4 to 5 inches here this morning with some lake enhancement. The snowpack continues to build!

Unfortunately I have a social engagement at a local watering hole with my lady friend tonight, so no video from me most likely. :(:D

Well, at least none you can post here.  Haha j/k. :lmao:

15z HRRR ticked north a bit compared to the 14z version. 

EDIT:  Squall line still looking strong by the time it reaches LAF on that HRRR.

Snow depth is more less a meaningless statistic right now but UofM recorded a 8" depth yesterday so after today it should be double digits.

Crossed 50" for the season yesterday too.

Back to pixie dust snow here after a period of parachutes

just getting back into parachutes here

There's like 5-8" out front at my house, 7-12 out back. Hard to tell from all the drifts.

Archived