or over the Bahamas.
Regardless of tropical cyclone formation, gusty winds and heavy
rainfall are possible across portions of the Lesser Antilles, Puerto
Rico, and the Virgin Islands tonight and Friday, and over Hispaniola
late Friday and Saturday. Interests in those islands should closely
monitor the progress of this disturbance.  An Air Force Reserve
hurricane hunter aircraft is scheduled to investigate the low this
afternoon, if necessary.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...medium...50 percent.
* Formation chance through 5 days...high...70 percent.

201408210130mtbASCATwind96LINVEST25kts-1

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

96L continues to have a broad elongated area of low pressure and some shear and dry air entrainment from the N continues to keep the convection from consolidating. While the track guidance has shifted E, the reliable 00Z European Ensemble Mean suggests that if this disturbance survives land interaction with Hispaniola and Cuba, anywhere from the Yucatan Peninsula across the Gulf of Mexico and Florida into the SE United States may feel the effects of the disturbance. Until an actual closed surface low develops, caution is advised on buying into one particular dynamical computer model over another. RECON is scheduled to investigate later today and the data gained by that mission should assist the various computer guidance regarding the development and future track of this tropical disturbance.

The GFS looked interesting.  Has a storm stalled just east of the Bahamas for a few days as a ridge comes in and builds to it's north.  It finally takes off NE toward the end of the run, but a couple degrees to the west and it would've gotten stuck under the ridge.  

Looks to me as though a circulation is slowly forming and also that the system is headed more due west at this point, could therefore favor the tracks south of Hispaniola and Cuba or at least south coast of Cuba if it does develop. Just subjective of course, but looks about 12-18h away from TS status southeast of PR. No strong feelings about development potential as large-scale features only marginally conducive, but those SST values in eastern Gulf and Bahamas region are quite high, this could become the first of three Christobals to make it to hurricane status. The 2002 and 2008 versions were mostly OTS tropical storms.

Martinique/Guadeloupe radar picking up the action now.

http://www.meteo.fr/temps/domtom/antilles/pack-public/animation/animMOSAIC2.html

The 12z ECMWF is sort of interesting. 96L is sitting East of Jaxsonville on Monday as the ridge is attempting to build to it's north. It's so quick with the movement as compared to the GFS/GGEM. Suddenly at 120 hours while it's almost east of OBX the ridge builds in and the system begins hooking towards the coast. Meanwhile the trough is still hung up over the upper plains. If you slowed down the track some 96L would find itself underneath the ridge in an excellent upper level enviornment and warm SST. Raises the eyebrow a tad. 

f144.gif

The 12z ECMWF is sort of interesting. 96L is sitting East of Jaxsonville on Monday as the ridge is attempting to build to it's north. It's so quick with the movement as compared to the GFS/GGEM. Suddenly at 120 hours while it's almost east of OBX the ridge builds in and the system begins hooking towards the coast. Meanwhile the trough is still hung up over the upper plains. If you slowed down the track some 96L would find itself underneath the ridge in an excellent upper level enviornment and warm SST. Raises the eyebrow a tad. 

Looks like the GFS ensembles, again big red flags are visible. The biggest question is probably the extent of developement. The pattern progression seems to overwhelmingly argue for a blocked recurve.

One of my favorite storms is a top analog for 96L. Perhaps adjusted eastward/faster somewhat and assuming this intensifies rather quickly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1899_San_Ciriaco_hurricane

1899_San_Ciriaco_hurricane_track.png

The latest 12z EURO run shows almost this exact track. If this does indeed verify (so much time to go but still), I tip my cap to you.

The 18Z GFS has strongly shifted toward the ECMWF in terms of track and intensity. This change basically confirms my earlier ideas that the chance of a U.S. impact is practically nil. I'm not sure as to why a lot of people turned an obvious recurve into an uncertain outcome. So far, 1) as mentioned previously, dry air has been too significant to allow development in the next two days, and 2) a weaker system moving faster will allow the trough to pick it up. Over time, the most reliable models have shifted toward a flatter, slower trough, meaning a weaker low-level ridge over/near the Bahamas as 96L recurves. Anyone with sense has been going with the ECMWF over the past few days--but that's just my take.

The 18Z GFS has strongly shifted toward the ECMWF in terms of track and intensity. This change basically confirms my earlier ideas that the chance of a U.S. impact is practically nil. I'm not sure as to why a lot of people turned an obvious recurve into an uncertain outcome. So far, 1) as mentioned previously, dry air has been too significant to allow development in the next two days, and 2) a weaker system moving faster will allow the trough to pick it up. Over time, the most reliable models have shifted toward a flatter, slower trough, meaning a weaker low-level ridge over/near the Bahamas as 96L recurves. Anyone with sense has been going with the ECMWF over the past few days--but that's just my take.

Yes, we're all stupid and should just call off the rest of the season like you do.

The 18z GFS is way slower and nothing like the ECMWF, compare them. The only thing in common is that neither of them make landfall.

Just like Arthur was supposed to be a highly sheared 45 mph tropical storm well off the coast of the U.S. having no impact.   ;)

If you looked at the European ensembles, they show a spread from the Gulf Coast all the way up the East Coast.  

Yes, we're all stupid and should just call off the rest of the season like you do.

Can't tell if it's Rainstorm-like trolling, recent trend of dismissing everything to try to look like the coolest guy in the room, or an argument against a non-existent strawman ranting that this will hit Miami as a Cat 5.

96L

...INITIAL CONDITIONS...
LATCUR = 17.6N LONCUR = 59.4W DIRCUR = 310DEG SPDCUR = 20KT
LATM12 = 15.1N LONM12 = 56.3W DIRM12 = 311DEG SPDM12 = 16KT
LATM24 = 13.6N LONM24 = 54.3W
WNDCUR = 35KT RMAXWD = 30NM WNDM12 = 30KT
CENPRS = 1009MB OUTPRS = 1011MB OUTRAD = 75NM SDEPTH = M
RD34NE = 30NM RD34SE = 0NM RD34SW = 0NM RD34NW = 0NM

20140821.2318.f18.x.colorpct_91h_91v.96L

You do have to admit, the HWRF has been very consistent. Have to wait for others to get on board of course, but if I was in Florida I would not dismiss something at least getting close just yet.

attachicon.gifslp21.png

It has been impressive in that it has held firm on the South Florida track...and just extrapolating it's movement, it appears that it would continue west if the run went any longer.  I'm skeptical of it's strength, since it's always seemed on the strong side.  

OTS is pretty likely given all the model support that solution has. There's still a small chance it forms further south than expected, or the vortex splits and forms two lows and some sort of a storm makes it into the gulf of Mexico. Models still don't really show a TS forming for another 48 hrs.

OTS is pretty likely given all the model support that solution has. There's still a small chance it forms further south than expected, or the vortex splits and forms two lows and some sort of a storm makes it into the gulf of Mexico. Models still don't really show a TS forming for another 48 hrs.

Eh, I wouldn't really put too much stock into those spaghetti graphs. If you simply looked at "model support" yesterday you would be convinced that this thing was heading into the Gulf.

00z CMC much more interesting. Currently has this thing really stregthening just north of Cuba and splitting the uprights into the Gulf as an absolute monster.

I think the North Atlantic weakness is being overplayed here. GFS is notorious for spawning phantom cutoff lows along frontal boundaries.

Archived