Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Atlantic Tropical Action 2014

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hitting as nothing more than a Tropical Storm however.

But it's in a nice col region in the ~48 hours before landfall, and shear is quite low. Given that the system will be in a moist environment in the short term and is already producing strong winds just above the surface, any increase in organization could be quite rapid in the Bahamas. Assuming that the track on the GFS occurs, is my logic correct?

But it's in a nice col region in the ~48 hours before landfall, and shear is quite low. Given that the system will be in a moist environment and is already producing strong winds just above the surface, any increase in organization could be quite rapid in the Bahamas. Assuming that the track on the GFS occurs, is my logic correct?

Yes, I just wonder if the GFS is understimating the strength significantly, would that also not effect the corresponding track?

18z NAVGEM is interesting...

And the NAVGEM comes out. This thread is becoming a laugh-fest.

The amount of speculation and poor approaches to model analysis here is ridiculous. Can't some people just sit back, read what Phil/etc. posts and wait for the outcome instead of wishcasting the storm to their location?

The amount of speculation and poor approaches to model analysis here is ridiculous. Can't some people just sit back, read what Phil/etc. posts and wait for the outcome instead of wishcasting the storm to their location?

I don't believe I've seen anyone wishcasting over the past 10 pages to be honest. I don't see any harm in posting model results when you are 120-144 hours away from an event. If anything it will be a learning process of how much things can, and have changed.

If the models can speculate, and that is exactly what they've been doing, I don't see any harm in members also speculating IF it is backed up through some logic.

Just my 2 cents though!

Hold up slick...nothing wrong with looking at the NAVGEM, it had a big upgrade last year, higher resolution. That run did back up what the 18z GFS showed, just something else to look at. Your silly post is what causes threads to go haywire.

Just to illustrate this. Ensembles are still very much all over the place.

Thanks for posting the ECMWF ensembles... again good luck trying to forecast with any degree of certainty beyond 48 hours. This is one of those marginal solutions that if 96L moves just a little further west than forecast the first 24-48 hours, it can get under the building ridge over the central-eastern US and fail to get picked up by the trough. It seems the ECMWF are pretty much 50-50 on the trough capturing the system. If it misses, the chance of east coast landfall go up quite a bit!

Moving WNW under a ridge over high heat content water around the Bahamas (and 30-31 c sst)......that's how Andrew and the 1935 Labor Day hurricane bombed out.  While I'd never forecast anything that extreme.....not from a system this disorganized, IF the 18z GFS and 12z CMC are correct, a major hurricane intensifying rapidly at landfall wouldn't surprise me.  Cleo almost made it too cat-3 in late August 1964 just in the 18 hours it took too cross from Cuba to Miami.  

Right now I rate the odds better than 50/50 it recurves, but if it doesn't.....someone is likely in for a world of hurt

Some models are obviously more skilled than others and should be weighted accordingly but with this potentially being within 4 or 5 days of a U.S. landfall and having a wide spread in outcomes, there's no harm in looking at as much data as possible.  

Thanks for posting the ECMWF ensembles... again good luck trying to forecast with any degree of certainty beyond 48 hours. This is one of those marginal solutions that if 96L moves just a little further west than forecast the first 24-48 hours, it can get under the building ridge over the central-eastern US and fail to get picked up by the trough. It seems the ECMWF are pretty much 50-50 on the trough capturing the system. If it misses, the chance of east coast landfall go up quite a bit!

Phil is there confidence in the overall Size of this circulation come Sunday, I.E small(compact) or larger circulation.

Another point is there is some increasing southwesterly shear across the Central Caribbean in the wake of EPAC TS Marie exiting off to the WNW. Hispaniola is notorious for creating havoc when we have a disorganized disturbance tracking just N of the Coast. Where this disturbance exits and how close to Andros Island in the Southern Bahamas it actually ends up, will have significant impacts on where it will track and likely more westerly as it misses the trough. If we see the disturbance slip NW after passing Haiti toward the Turks and Caicos or further E, then the re-curve scenario would be favored. The faster track since yesterday has likely led to some of the shifts seen in some of the guidance. If this survives its encounter with Hispaniola, then a slow process of strengthening is possible. This part of the world is tricky to forecast. We can look back to 2005 and see some similarities with Rita for example.

Another point is there is some increasing southwesterly shear across the Central Caribbean in the wake of EPAC TS Marie exiting off to the WNW. Hispaniola is notorious for creating havoc when we have a disorganized disturbance tracking just N of the Coast. Where this disturbance exits and how close to Andros Island in the Southern Bahamas it actually ends up, will have significant impacts on where it will track and likely more westerly as it misses the trough. If we see the disturbance slip NW after passing Haiti toward the Turks and Caicos or further E, then the re-curve scenario would be favored. The faster track since yesterday has likely led to some of the shifts seen in some of the guidance. If this survives its encounter with Hispaniola, then a slow process of strengthening is possible. This part of the world is tricky to forecast. We can look back to 2005 and see some similarities with Rita for example.

Looks like the shear is helping to ventilate the storm to the North and East.

Archived