• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Atlantic Tropical Action 2014

Very good model support now for 97L developing in about 5 days (GFS, NAVGEM, CMC). A lot of dry air ahead of it until then.

Until the Euro comes on board, I'm not to gung ho about development.  NAVGEM and CMC are just eye candy when it comes to the tropics...wouldn't trust them farther than I can throw them.  

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Until the Euro comes on board, I'm not to gung ho about development.  NAVGEM and CMC are just eye candy when it comes to the tropics...wouldn't trust them farther than I can throw them.  

You better hope it does not develop, the 500mb setup and analogs for this 97L scream landfalling TC. Looks like the GFS begins developing this wave around the Lesser Antilles.

post-8708-0-89692200-1409069589_thumb.pn

You better hope it does not develop, the 500mb setup and analogs for this 97L scream landfalling TC. Looks like the GFS begins developing this wave around the Lesser Antilles.

attachicon.gifgfs_mslp_pcpn_atltropics_18.png

Looks like it deals with less than ideal conditions and shear from a ULL.  The GFS shows a relatively weak system and dissipation by day 7.  The pattern may be one for landfalling systems, but if the systems can't organize, then it's a moot point.  

gfs_shear_atltropics_22.png

Looks like it deals with less than ideal conditions and shear from a ULL.  The GFS shows a relatively weak system and dissipation by day 7.  The pattern may be one for landfalling systems, but if the systems can't organize, then it's a moot point.  

gfs_shear_atltropics_22.png

Yes, however. It would be unwise to take the position of a ULL from 126 hours out with anything greater than a grain of salt.

:)

Besides the monster tropical wave poised to move off the coast of Africa, the next place we need to look for development, in my opinion, is the western Caribbean and Western Gulf.  Models have been lowering pressures down there for the past few runs and systems have traditionally be able to ramp up quickly in the Western Caribbean/Bay of Campeche.  Should be interesting since the MJO should be favorable during that time frame.  GFS and Euro have been consistent showing something down there.  

The recent warming of the EPAC due to a strong Kelvin wave (trend toward ENSO warm) seems to be inducing more shear as we head into peak season. Models show the anticyclonic flow over the MDR that we've seen over the past couple of weeks being replaced by a persistent TUTT for most of early September. The GFS and the ECMWF basically show a sheared-out MDR (mid-ocean TUTT)  through the entire forecast period. Then El Niño kicks in by mid-September, thereby shutting down the prospects of a late season. As far as I'm concerned this year is done, as I've laid out so many times.

The recent warming of the EPAC due to a strong Kelvin wave (trend toward ENSO warm) seems to be inducing more shear as we head into peak season. Models show the anticyclonic flow over the MDR that we've seen over the past couple of weeks being replaced by a persistent TUTT for most of early September. The GFS and the ECMWF basically show a sheared-out MDR (mid-ocean TUTT)  through the entire forecast period. Then El Niño kicks in by mid-September, thereby shutting down the prospects of a late season. As far as I'm concerned this year is done, as I've laid out so many times.

You state that you've said it many times before, yet we have a soon to be Category 2 Hurricane named Cristobal churning just off the coast.

Then I assume you will not be posting further on the subject, and will leave this thread to the amateurs.  

The overnight reliable Euro and GEFS ensemble mean continues to advertise a disturbance will develop in the SW Caribbean Sea this weekend and generally move NW with TC genesis possible near the Yucatan Peninsula. The mean as well as the determistic models move this potential tropical system into the Western Gulf where Dolly may form next week.

dead-horse.gif

The overnight reliable Euro and GEFS ensemble mean continues to advertise a disturbance will develop in the SW Caribbean Sea this weekend and generally move NW with TC genesis possible near the Yucatan Peninsula. The mean as well as the determistic models move this potential tropical system into the Western Gulf where Dolly may form next week.

I know this is looking far head, but with a digging trough the Euro is advertising, anything that does develop could have a potential path to the Gulf Coast.  But this is just speculation this far out considering we don't have a system yet.

We may see a TD today In the NW Gulf if RECON can close off a center. Radar and buoy data suggest convection and winds have tightened up quickly this morning. A general slowing has been observed and shear is beginning to relax slightly. It should be inland over NE Mexico/South Texas tomorrow before any further development can occur.

We may see a TD today In the NW Gulf if RECON can close off a center. Radar and buoy data suggest convection and winds have tightened up quickly this morning. A general slowing has been observed and shear is beginning to relax slightly. It should be inland over NE Mexico/South Texas tomorrow before any further development can occur.

The latest ASCAT scan shows a lack of cyclonic winds on the SE quadrant

WMBds63.png

Although the ASCAT image shows that it's an elongated weak surface low, early vis imagery supports a better organized low on the verge of closing off. It's on the northern part of an anticyclone centered further south, but since the low is slowly moving SW, and the anticyclone is forecasted to move to the WNW, the shear will lower significantly before landfall. There's no much time though, so I wouldn't expect more than a TS tops.

Edit: Also, that's an ASCAT from yesterday before noon...just old.

The 12z GFS has gotten a little more interesting today with the system forecasted to emerge off the African coast over the next few days. It keeps the system weak through about Labor Day. A trough around 40W/40N is forecasted to create a weakness in the ridge and the system initially gains some lattitude. This trough is however forecasted to move out quickly enough that the ridge is able to build back overhead before the system reaches 20N. The problem on this run is the energy that comes in behind that initial trough. It's relatively weak but the GFS develops a gaping hole which allows the system to approach 25N. Eventually the trough coming out of SE Canada finishes the job and the system is quickly pulled north and eventually absorbed well OTS. That secondary piece of energy will be hard to forecast and could be a difference maker. Of course the longer that this takes to develop the better the odds this has of developing into something worthwhile. The 12z GFS slowed down development by about 36-48 hours over the 06z run.

Archived