Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Atlantic Tropical Action 2014

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is one of the more uncertain 3-5 day forecasts I've seen in some time... Just look at the day 4 GEFS (which is typically underdispersive). Basically the GEFS says 96L could be anywhere from Cuba to Bermuda in 4 days. This uncertainly is also likely being underplayed given the GEFS tendency to agree with the control member in comparison to the 50 ECMWF ensembles which capture a better sense of the total uncertainty in the forecast. Good luck forecasting for this one folks. 

gfs-ememb_lowlocs_watl_9.png

Day 5 looks interesting, same general setup as 12z with the displaced ridge. Perhaps not an all clear for the East Coast and Canada.

Fwiw, it is staying offshore NC northward to N.E. on the 0Z Euro. However, it certainly isn't an all clear for the east coast/Canada. JB emphasizes that due to the displaced ridge. 

Edit: The GFS/Euro have been pretty consistently generating a TC in the far eastern Atlantic ~8/27 moving NW to NNW fwiw.

The surface flow with 96L is still sloppy.  The vortex seen yesterday moving northwestward to the northeast of the islands has not become anything more than an eddy in the larger open circulation.  The eddy is still there, north of the Virgin Islands, moving wnw/w. 

Regardless how the system tries to organize, the models have been getting even more robust with the trough off the east coast.  It'll be tough for anything to get passed it.

Radar from San Juan is far better than looking at satellite loops at this time. As RECON detected yesterday, there were two vorts observed with the one to the SW being the weaker of the two. The northern most spin was clearly visible on high resolution imagery when it was devoid of convection.

Perhaps these 2 circulations is what the ECMWF has been showing with a bifurcation of 96L's energy.  It shows a piece recurving with it off the East Coast and another making it's way into the Gulf.  

Well I think this is more of a manifestation of the large uncertainty surrounding the forecast location of 96L in the medium range. While there might be more members in the northern camp (can't tell for sure unless I had the actual ensemble model guidance), its obvious there are still a non-negliable amount of ensemble members that take 96L into the Gulf of Mexico. The llc associated with 96L is still very broad (although the dominant mesovort appears to be just N of Puerto Rico), and relocations are difficult to forecast with large systems such as this. It still might be another 24 hours (after it gets past Hispaniola) until we really know that this poleward solution is the way to go. 

Starting to see some organization going on... Ice scattering now apparent north of Puerto Rico... almost can make out a low-level vortex signature?

I can't seem to find any west wind observations or anything indicating a LLC. Definitely still looks like a wave to me.

Looking at these always gives me a chuckle. Why the hell do they continue to include the LBAR? It is always completely out in left field.

Also, are some of these not the 06z runs such as the HWRF and GFDL?

Interesting that some models bring this back into the coast. A lot of options are still on the table with this one.

Archived