• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Atlantic Tropical Action 2014

12z EURO looks to be following the 12z CMC with a track just east of the Bahamas. Looking at historical tracks passing through this location, it seems that a path OTS seems to be the best bet at this time. Historically speaking, a recurve and east coast landfall of storms passing through this region has almost never occurred.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12z EURO looks to be following the 12z CMC with a track just east of the Bahamas. Looking at historical tracks passing through this location, it seems that a path OTS seems to be the best bet at this time. Historically speaking, a recurve and east coast landfall of storms passing through this region has almost never occurred.

Occasionally, some ensemble members are doing the Irene thing. It's unusual for a storm at 12N and this far west to not make landfall somewhere, even in the US. The North Atlantic ridge is interesting. Euro moving the storm quite faster than other models as well.

500mb height anomaly

gfs_z500a_atl_33.png

Occasionally, some ensemble members are doing the Irene thing. It's unusual for a storm at 12N and this far west to not make landfall somewhere, even in the US. The North Atlantic ridge is interesting. Euro moving the storm quite faster than other models as well.

500mb height anomaly

gfs_z500a_atl_33.png

Completely understand that it "could" happen as the ensembles show. But I'd have to imagine the chances are quite rare at this time in August (track tendencies)...

Completely understand that it "could" happen as the ensembles show. But I'd have to imagine the chances are quite rare at this time in August (track tendencies) and the fact that I can't find one example of this happening historically doesn't bode well.

These days, I'm ready to embrace anything. Missing the website link that shows all TC tracks within a given radius, would be useful. Btw, would such a track become more likely in September?

;)

aal96_2014082012_track_gfs.png

These days, I'm ready to embrace anything. Missing the website link that shows all TC tracks within a given radius, would be useful. Btw, would such a track become more likely in September?

;)

aal96_2014082012_track_gfs.png

Here is the Hurricane Track link: http://csc.noaa.gov/hurricanes/

It's a great tool as you can set a location, radius in terms of track, and filter for strength. For me here on Cape Cod it's a good tool in terms of knowing when I can get excited for a storm due to historical analogs (but there is always that ONE storm :D)

And below are some a few general images in regards to track for time of month. Of course these are just the best bet for each month, not to say something couldn't surprise us. A recurve track is definitely more likely to occur in September->October.

post-12104-0-81905800-1408561556_thumb.g

post-12104-0-79283200-1408561559_thumb.g

post-12104-0-92149600-1408561562_thumb.g

One of my favorite storms is a top analog for 96L. Perhaps adjusted eastward/faster somewhat and assuming this intensifies rather quickly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1899_San_Ciriaco_hurricane

1899 San Ciriaco hurricane, also known as the 1899 Puerto Rico Hurricane, was the longest-lived Atlantic hurricane on record. The third tropical cyclone and first major hurricane of the season, this storm was first observed southwest of Cape Verde on August 3. It slowly strengthened while heading steadily west-northwestward across the Atlantic Ocean and reached hurricane status by late on August 5. During the following 48 hours, it deepened further, reaching Category 4 on the modern day Saffir–Simpson hurricane wind scale (SSHWS) before crossing the Leeward Islands on August 7. Later that day, the storm peaked winds of 150 mph (240 km/h). The storm weakened slightly before making landfall in Guayama, Puerto Rico with winds of 140 mph (220 km/h) on August 8. Several hours later, it emerged into the southwestern Atlantic as a Category 3 hurricane. The system paralleled the north coast of Dominican Republic and then crossed the Bahamas, striking several islands. Thereafter, it began heading northward on August 14, while centered east of Florida. Early on the following day, the storm re-curved northeastward and appeared to be heading out to sea. However, by August 17, it turned back to the northwest and made landfall near Hatteras, North Carolina early on the following day.

The storm weakened after moving inland and fell to Category 1 intensity by 1200 UTC on August 18. Later that day, the storm re-emerged into the Atlantic. Now heading northeastward, it continued weakening, but maintained Category 1 intensity. By late on August 20, the storm curved eastward over the northwestern Atlantic. It also began losing tropical characteristics and transitioned into an extratropical cyclone at 0000 UTC on August 22, while located about 325 miles (525 km) south of Sable Island. However, after four days, the system regenerated into a tropical storm while located about 695 miles (1,120 km) west-southwest of Flores Island in the Azores on August 26. It moved slowly north-northwestward, until curving to the east on August 29. Between August 26 and September 1, the storm did not differentiate in intensity, but began re-strengthening while turning southeastward on September 2. Early on the following day, the storm again reached hurricane intensity. It curved northeastward and passed through the Azores on September 3, shortly before transitioning into an extratropical cyclone.

1899_San_Ciriaco_hurricane_track.png

As Kory mentioned, we're in MJO phase 1. The Euro ensemble actually blew this because it had predicted phase 2 through now and beyond. So, the GEFS had a rare MJO victory since it had been predicting a move back into phase 1. Fwiw, the Euro has it milling within a modest phase 1 before moving modestly back into phase 2. See 1st attached chart. However, the GEFS is still insisting on a monsterly strong phase 1 developing. It has it about as strong, if not even stronger than 1979's very bullish late August record strong phase 1 (peak of 3.08) (records back to 1975) really getting going starting in about a week from now. (see 2nd attached chart). Just during this record strong late August to early Sep., 1979, MJO phase 1, alone, David, Frederic, and Gloria (1979 version) all formed. That would be quite bullish for genesis prospects and may be why so many GFS runs are so bullish, but is this GEFS very strong phase 1 fictitious and the Euro's much more modest MJO more correct? Opinions?

Folks,

Well, the GEFS has come quite a bit off of yesterday's near record breaking strong near peak season MJO phase 1 though it still has a strong phase 1 prog. I expect the GEFS to come off more in the coming days' runs. See below for the comparison. The Euro ens. is similar to yesterday's run with a much more modest phase 1 going into a modest phase 2.

Yesterday's (8/19) GEFS prediction of near record strong MJO phase 1 (~3) for near season peak:

post-882-0-15500300-1408561780_thumb.gif

Today's (8/20) GEFS prediction of good bit less strong MJO phase 1 (<2.5)(Note the weird red line for 8/15-9..looks erroneous)

post-882-0-55869500-1408562058_thumb.gif

The next 48-72 hours is going to determine a recurve or not. If it can stay weak and south of the big islands of the Caribbean, than I think chances of a westward track are more likely.

Actually, a weaker storm would move faster, as the EMCWF indicates, being steered by the low-level trades. Thus it would be closer to the trough in four days, allowing a recurve, while the stronger, slower GFS and its ensembles suggest that 96L will miss the trough. I think the ECMWF's recurvature is likely, as I see no signs of organization now (bursting-type convection has been ongoing over the past few days) and the wave axis is moving briskly. Easterlies have been anomalously strong in the E Caribbean this season. The GFDL and the HWRF, like the GEFS, are too strong with 96L in the next 72 hours, given the surrounding mid-level dry air near the islands and the brisk forward movement. The chance of a U.S. landfall is close to 0%, certainly much lower than 20%, and I still don't think development will happen, at least not in the next four days. (After this system, the basin looks to be quiet through early September, and then El Niño kicks in. If 96L doesn't strengthen and impact the U.S., then the rest of year looks finished for the U.S., though we could well see another impact in the islands and the Azores/subtropics.)

Actually, a weaker storm would move faster, as the EMCWF indicates, being steered by the low-level trades. Thus it would be closer to the trough in four days, allowing a recurve, while the stronger, slower GFS and its ensembles suggest that 96L will miss the trough. I think the ECMWF's recurvature is likely, as I see no signs of organization now (bursting-type convection has been ongoing over the past few days) and the wave axis is moving briskly. Easterlies have been anomalously strong in the E Caribbean this season. The GFDL and the HWRF, like the GEFS, are too strong with 96L in the next 72 hours, given the surrounding mid-level dry air near the islands and the brisk forward movement. The chance of a U.S. landfall is close to 0%, certainly much lower than 20%, and I still don't think development will happen, at least not in the next four days. (After this system, the basin looks to be quiet through early September, and then El Niño kicks in. If 96L doesn't strengthen and impact the U.S., then the rest of year looks finished for the U.S., though we could well see another impact in the islands and the Azores/subtropics.)

I don't know how you can really give out percentages of landfall over a week in advance.  It is way too early to give an all clear.  

Way to early to say anything like this, it really does a disservice to the thread.

Clearly the WPC/HPC in conjunction with the NHC is not buying this out to sea 'chatter' that some seem to be buying at this time. Could that change? Until an actual closed center of circulation is determined and that data is ingested into the various guidance, anything from Belize to Bermuda is not completely out of the question. 

Clearly the WPC/HPC in conjunction with the NHC is not buying this out to sea 'chatter' that some seem to be buying at this time. Could that change? Until an actual closed center of circulation is determined and that data is ingested into the various guidance, anything from Belize to Bermuda is not completely out of the question.

08202014 3 to 7 day surface charts.5dayfcst_wbg_conus.gif

Fancy way to describe windshield wiper mode in full effect!

Agreed and thx.

The 18z GFS solution doesn't quite make sense to me.  Ridging off the East Coast, but it continues to show 96L turning straight north into it. 

One ensemble member showed that yesterday straddled the coast perfectly from Florida to NYC, a 1 in a million work of art.  Models are much better with TC tracks once they form and I don't favor any one scenario at this time.  

Hispaniola seems likely to be a key player.  Seen many a potential formidable storm in the making bust apart at the seems going over those mountains.  If it skirts just north of the island a different ball game entirely of course.  18Z GFS does a nice job on Jax.  Could turn into an interesting weekend.

Hispaniola seems likely to be a key player.  Seen many a potential formidable storm in the making bust apart at the seems going over those mountains.  If it skirts just north of the island a different ball game entirely of course.  18Z GFS does a nice job on Jax.  Could turn into an interesting weekend.

In Savannah, we can count our lucky stars that Hispaniola took a lot out of the monster David in 1979. He was bad enough at the intensity he hit as it was a pretty big mess and not a very short recovery period. It was a direct hit as the eye went just south and west of Savannah.

Invest 96L has developed nicely today. The low-level circulation still resembles a trough more than it does a closed low, but the process of the two circulations (96L's old one and one in association with the tropical wave that moved in from the east) merging continues. Convection is well-organized and sustained.

A0RquYj.gif

This could be one of those that weaker means faster and out to sea with the trough but if this strengthens faster which it seems to be then this could move slower and miss the connection with the trough and get pushed more WNW into Florida in the Bahamas so all interest in the East coastal regions and Eastern GOM need to keep an eye on the progress of 96L

This is far from set in stone, the major pattern drivers are still in the 130-192 hour range. Ensembles should be interesting.

also these models seem to be underestimating 96L which also means that maybe they're moving this too fast and in turn have the trough catch it when in reality it seems to already have a low and possibly a strengthening low at the moment while most if not all the models are sending just a wave through the islands which may end up being an error

also there was no low when the models initiated and until a low is there the models tend to do funky things with it until a firm low is established

Archived