Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Atlantic Tropical Action 2014

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only concerning thing from an intensification standpoint is the appearance that the low-level circulation is running away from the convection in the eastern and southern quadrant. Northwesterly shear might not be soon to give way if the system to its west continues to produce deep convection. The most recent runs of the HRRR have been suggesting that Bertha might run away from the current convective plume over the center, so keep an eye on it. 

RLA4yRB.jpg

Amazing that this is what the Atlantic has become the past two seasons. Just look at this images posted in the WPAC thread. 

I remain excited for Bertha putting on a nice round of deepening the next 24 hours. It might even over-preform a little up into the 80kt range. 25-35 north has been the only real intensification region. And shes nice and close to the Gulf Stream. 

I'm kinda shocked Bertha has rapidly intensified the last 24 hours (was 40 knots yesterday at this time). Somehow the storm managed to develop a very tight inner core. Even though the pressure (998 hPa) is fairly unimpressive, those winds are being enhanced by higher than normal environmental pressure (somewhere around 1016 hPa), as well as the rapid forward motion of Bertha. 

There are some things working in Bertha's favor that could have foreshadowed this:

1) SSTs are around 29 degrees C, the warmest Bertha will ever experience. 

2) The shear vector, northwesterly, is actually advecting deep moisture over Bertha. That's why dry air intrusion has been kept to a minimum the last 24 hours or so. If that shear vector moves to northeast, however, there is more dry air in Bertha's proximity in that direction and that would likely lead to the end of intensification. Note the arc clouds emanating from Bertha in that direction... thats the dry air waiting to be entrained into Bertha if the shear vector changes.

With that said, I thought Bertha would struggle to maintain convection near the low-level circulation. I'm quite surprised its fought off that (possibly helped because the system to its west didn't produce major burst of deep convection last night). 

The system off of Florida is actually modifying the overall flow of Hurricane Bertha this afternoon.

Should begin to inject drier air into the circulation as it races to the NE. Definitely was an interesting case of a strong LLC taking advantage of marginally favorable conditions.

IMO, The SW Atlantic should be the region with the highest ACE this season.

Judging from the burst-like IR pattern, microwave imagery depicting a highly asymmetric structure, and aircraft observations of rain rate, this appears to have been an asymmetric RI case.  These asymmetric RI events do occasionally occur (see papers on Irene 1999 and Gabrielle 2001).  Often times with sheared TCs, you see a large convective burst on one side of the vortex due to the shear tilting over the vortex and forcing vertical motion on that side.  Every once in a while, that convective burst (for reasons unknown) happens to be closer to the TC center inside the RMW.  Convection inside the RMW favors rapid intensification, based on theoretical arguments and supported by observations.

If the shear doesn't decrease though, the shear eventually wins out and the RI can come to a spectacular end.  This may be what is occurring now, as convection has greatly weakened over the past few hours.  We'll have to see if a new burst forms once the boundary layer moistens and recovers in the wake of the outflow (seen by the arc clouds racing northwards).

Bertha's presentation may be more craptacular than the GOMEX's Hurricane Earl of 1998

As the advisory says, the outflow does look pretty good overall, but if anyone other than the NHC told me a dropsonde found a hurricane-strength storm in that trash pile I would not believe them.  Based on the presentation and the forecasted shear increase I wonder if Bertha is going to simply disintegrate.

Down to 75MPH

WTNT33 KNHC 042041
TCPAT3

BULLETIN
HURRICANE BERTHA ADVISORY NUMBER  16
NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL       AL032014
500 PM EDT MON AUG 04 2014

...BERTHA CONTINUES NORTHWARD...
...NO THREAT TO LAND...

SUMMARY OF 500 PM EDT...2100 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...29.4N 73.6W
ABOUT 560 MI...900 KM WSW OF BERMUDA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...75 MPH...120 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...N OR 360 DEGREES AT 18 MPH...30 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...998 MB...29.47 INCHES

WATCHES AND WARNINGS
--------------------
THERE ARE NO COASTAL WATCHES OR WARNINGS IN EFFECT.

DISCUSSION AND 48-HOUR OUTLOOK
------------------------------
AT 500 PM EDT...2100 UTC...THE CENTER OF HURRICANE BERTHA WAS
LOCATED NEAR LATITUDE 29.4 NORTH...LONGITUDE 73.6 WEST.  BERTHA IS
MOVING TOWARD THE NORTH NEAR 18 MPH...30 KM/H...AND A GRADUAL TURN
TOWARD THE NORTHEAST WITH INCREASING FORWARD SPEED IS EXPECTED OVER
THE NEXT 48 HOURS.  ON THE FORECAST TRACK...BERTHA WILL PASS ABOUT
MIDWAY BETWEEN THE U.S. EAST COAST AND BERMUDA ON TUESDAY.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS HAVE DECREASED TO NEAR 75 MPH...120
KM/H...WITH HIGHER GUSTS...OVER A SMALL AREA NORTHEAST OF THE
CENTER.  GRADUAL WEAKENING IS FORECAST DURING THE NEXT 48 HOURS.

HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 25 MILES...35 KM...FROM
THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 140
MILES...220 KM...MAINLY TO THE NORTHEAST AND EAST OF THE CENTER.

THE MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE ESTIMATED FROM NOAA HURRICANE HUNTER
AIRCRAFT OBSERVATIONS IS 998 MB...29.47 INCHES.

HAZARDS AFFECTING LAND
----------------------
NONE.

NEXT ADVISORY
-------------
NEXT COMPLETE ADVISORY...1100 PM EDT.

I did a bit of quick research and not taking into account of the current ENSO state (La Nina/El Nino be they weak, neutral or strong) AMO, PDO NAO, EPO and AO, but strictly based off the Day 11+ Analogs issued July 31st with the top 10 Analogs years that are somewhat correlated with the current upper air pattern regime expected...and this is what those analogs suggest...tropical cyclone wise. There are some notable Hurricanes within those analog years. The analogs just offer clues to past general weather patterns across North America and what happened during the analog years across the Tropical North Atlantic Basin.

CPC July 31st Day 11+ Analogs:

attachicon.gif07312014 CPC Day 11+ Analogs 814analog_off.gif

1975:

08012014 1975 NALT Hurricanes 1280px-1975_Atlantic_hurricane_season_map.png

1958:

08012014 1958_Atlantic_hurricane_season_map.png

1985:

08012014 1985 1280px-1985_Atlantic_hurricane_season_map.png

2005:

08012014 2005_Atlantic_hurricane_season_summary_map.png

1951:

08012014 1951_Atlantic_hurricane_season_map.png

2008:

08012014 2008 2008_Atlantic_hurricane_season_summary_map.png

1983:

08012014 1983 1280px-1983_Atlantic_hurricane_season_map.png

1991:

08012014 1991 1280px-1991_Atlantic_hurricane_season_map.png

1999:

08012014 1999_Atlantic_hurricane_season_map.png

1961:

08012014 1961 1280px-1961_Atlantic_hurricane_season_map.png

Interestingly, 1961, 1999, 2005 and 2008 all remain top analogues still, with 2008 actually on there twice this time.  I don't think a 500 mb analogue technique has much merit for genesis or TC activity (although it probably does a little bit, e.g. strength of trough/ridge over N Africa and effect on SAL / easterly wave activity), but it can definitely provide some clues for steering flow. 

That said, all 4 of those seasons had a significant TC for Texas:

1961 (Carla)

1999 (Bret)

2005 (Rita)

2008 (Ike)

Let's see what happens...

post-378-0-32494900-1407187779_thumb.gif

IF the just released Euro weeklies are accurate for mid to late August, there would be no long lasting above normal heat in the SE though there could be in the NE with a little above normal 500 mb ridging centered nearby. The SE would be below that ridging, which would keep it from getting too hot for too long there. Also, with this setup, IF there are any tropical cyclones offshore the SE coast, this/these may not recurve easily off the SE as is the case with Bertha. Looking at precip. anomalies, the weeklies have the tropics pretty dry overall for weeks 2-4 with wetter above that in the subtropics in the general vicinity of 25-30 N over/near the SE US.

I know that I'm just repeating myself but I can't believe, I'm stunned, this was (is?) a hurricane.  Makes me wonder how many other random storms which were not investigated were actually hurricanes.  At least earlier today we had a pretty healthy outflow but even that doesn't look very good anymore.

Also maybe I'm nuts but looking at the Visible, it looks like the LLC is racing northward ahead of the convection.  Which doesn't seem to make a lot of sense so maybe there's just an illusion of a vortex there, would appreciate input.  Maybe this storm is just trying to look as awful as possible.  :)

Driest air at 500 mb over the Tropical Atlantic between 10-20 north on record for the month of July.

It was also the record driest July for the whole Tropical Atlantic region at 500 mb. This follows

the general long term June-September drying trend.

Driest air at 500 mb over the Tropical Atlantic between 10-20 north on record for the month of July.

It was also the record driest July for the whole Tropical Atlantic region at 500 mb. This follows

the general long term June-September drying trend.

attachicon.gifDRY.png

attachicon.gifTAJUL.png

attachicon.gifJJAS.png

Based on those charts it's safe to say this season has overperformed. Pretty good.

Archived