Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
January 2014 Pattern Discussion Part II

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright so who cares? My snow has also been above avg. Kind of a cherry picking stat to drive home a pessimist point.

Pessimist or is it just describing what has actually happened and now you're doing the same thing you accuse everyone else of doing? (Can only point out snowy, cold thoughts) wtf does snow have to do with temps and where did I ever bring up snow? Purely talking about temps which I thought was clear from listing 30 days of temp data.

Most of January has been above normal to date across New England. Despite a lot of talk about how savage this winter would be/is/is about to be it's been up and down on extreme levels. That's going to continue I think.

Vermont is +5 on temps and way down on snow...lol. A month ago they probably thought they'd be up to their ears in drifts by now.

A season of extremes...some historic. But with long periods of "relaxing" formally known as "torching"

Pessimist or is it just describing what has actually happened and now you're doing the same thing you accuse everyone else of doing? (Can only point out snowy, cold thoughts) wtf does snow have to do with temps and where did I ever bring up snow? Purely talking about temps which I thought was clear from listing 30 days of temp data.

Most of January has been above normal to date across New England. Despite a lot of talk about how savage this winter would be/is/is about to be it's been up and down on extreme levels. That's going to continue I think.

Vermont is +5 on temps and way down on snow...lol. A month ago they probably thought they'd be up to their ears in drifts by now.

A season of extremes...some historic. But with long periods of "relaxing" formally known as "torching"

I don't care about VT. I care about SNE. I'm not arguing your point about warmth, but seems like you are joining the others in a toaster bath of what have you done for me lately winter. It's been good for you and I and about to get better. I don't understand why some refuse to hear us out and have a raging hard on for pessimism.

Oodles of snow and cold.

If that actually verified, then you could invite Leon back inside after his timeout. :lol:

But in all seriousness, the Euro ensembles showed a reload potential at the end of their run so keep it going into February...so it will be interesting to watch what happens after the end of this month.

Vermont is the exception, not the rule.

Ne MA took a toaster bath in 2010, but for most of the region, it wasn't bad.

I don't care about VT. I care about SNE. I'm not arguing your point about warmth, but seems like you are joining the others in a toaster bath of what have you done for me lately winter. It's been good for you and I and about to get better. I don't understand why some refuse to hear us out and have a raging hard on for pessimism.

Okay...here's my take and I say this with no hostility at all but because I think you're genuinely trying to figure out what is an apparently growing divide.

This year this site has gotten to the point where every potential squall has a thread at six days AS they pop up.  Then we have a pattern thread, a banter thread and sub region threads within the region.   Instead of talking about the upcoming weather in a main thread that only breaks out bonafide threats within a day or two like in years passed we're discussing upcoming potential flurries at 5 days, another different system at 6 days, and now a new one that pops up at 3 days.  Half the time the dates are in flux because of the various s/waves.    Look at this main thread for the Tuesday night blizzard the dates changed on the topic...most may not even have noticed and assumed it was another new thread.  Is that even the right thread for an event that is raging the night of the 22nd? "January maybe January 24th potential very cold snow event. It's gonna snow dammit!"

The result?  We're talking about the same events sometimes in multiple threads, on a banter thread and now pattern threads.  People are hearing the SAME things from the same people sometimes 3 or 4 times when they're just trying to see what Storm C is going to do.    So instead of seeing what you, or anyone else is writing a few times on one sub thread it's being seen over and over again through multiples.

The end result?  It's a ton of talk about what may happen....what could happen if the stars align, what may happen if a frog farts while lifting one leg and reading a magazine in brazil and 400 posts about Leon with many having no effing idea what Leon refers to because they didn't read Storm B Thread Number 6, Page 47 subsection 3a where it was first mentioned or Storm Thread C, Thread Number 4, Page 42, subsection 1 where it was clarified.

It also magnifies whatever point you or anyone else is trying to make x 100.   I get what you and others are saying...you're almost forced to answer the same thing on multiple threads because the questions or comments pop up  on all those different threads but the net effect is people are reading it over, and over and over...and then when they smoke cirrus like yesterday.....

I think it's worse this year....I feel like the same stuff is being said x 1000.   I think we've probably gone too far in allowing so many threads so far in advance as I just think it's leading to tremendous repetition as dates move, threats fade etc.

JMHO.

Still shows the relaxing end of month into early February...but more threats prior.

From the 28 thru the 2nd, the only thing relaxing in this op run are those headed to Florida unless you mean heavy snow at 31 degrees a relax, also by Feb 1 iits back to the freezer

Max Temp Min Temp 850 Temp Max 850 Temp Min 500 Height Max 500 Height Min Thickness Max Thickness Min

31 °F -2 °F -2 °C -21 °C 552 525 537 505

So there is no question storms come in the longer range. The block will still be there, but it retrogrades enough to pop a -PNA. We have to keep an eye on that because you play with fire with a -PNA in Feb. On one hand, it should be active and I think this will be when NNE gets action. We probably will have our share too...but the -PNA makes ptype a little more precarious. The good thing is that we have the PV in Canada thanks to the block so we should have money in the bank.

Did we lose the Thursday and Saturday events?

Yes to Thursday although maybe there could be flurries. Sat is more like a fropa with some WAA snows ahead of it. Doesn't seem much at the moment. This week was one or the other regarding those lows, the pattern will not support both.

Still shows the relaxing end of month into early February...but more threats prior.From the 28 thru the 2nd, the only thing relaxing in this op run are those headed to Florida unless you mean heavy snow at 31 degrees a relax, also by Feb 1 iits back to the freezer

Max Temp Min Temp 850 Temp Max 850 Temp Min 500 Height Max 500 Height Min Thickness Max Thickness Min

31 °F -2 °F -2 °C -21 °C 552 525 537 505

I have to laugh at this because we're headed to Florida the 29th-3rd. Been expecting it to be an active period in SNE since we booked back in November. But maybe we can thread the needle on this.

I have to laugh at this because we're headed to Florida the 29th-3rd. Been expecting it to be an active period in SNE since we booked back in November. But maybe we can thread the needle on this.

Lol, I'm in Oklahoma for the last week of Jan and the first week of Feb.  There'll be like 2-3 KUs in that period, trust me :axe: .

Maybe your cache needs cleaning, try this, on the friggin beach

http://wxweb.meteostar.com/sample/sample.shtml?text=Kbos

I'm not going to bother looking at 10-15 day op runs. I think that's what had some of you thinking January was all Leon all the time. Remember when everything was going to change by 1/15 or 17? Still a torch those days

Adding in for yesterday running 30ish day total.  19 days above, 11 below with the last 9 being above...and then a blizzard.  Today probably makes it 10 days in a row above.

12/19   1

12/20    9

12/21    15

12/22    12

12/23    5

12/24    2

12/25   -10

12/26     -3

12/27    1

12/28    7

12/29    8

12/30    1