Newest Member
    amirah5
January 2014 Pattern Discussion Part II

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man I knew you would say that.

No, but it's not going to be Cstl scrapers either.

Make us all happy now dammit!  lol, we are like the little kids and coastal is the adult handing out candies.  No one wants the Good & Plenty (colored using a dye made from crushed female cochineal insects)...everyone wants the kit-kats, snickers, and milky ways.

Make us all happy now dammit! lol, we are like the little kids and coastal is the adult handing out candies. No one wants the Good & Plenty (colored using a dye made from crushed female cochineal insects)...everyone wants the kit-kats, snickers, and milky ways.

I fully expect numerous cherrio urination over the next week or so from the typical people (not you).

This is OT but can I get an idea of what the 26th to the 28 might be like for cold in Vermont? I plan to bring my 3 1/2 year old son skiing for the first time and I want to make sure it's not going to be 5 degrees.

Well it won't be 5F...lol

There's a good chance it could be -15F to -5F at times and that's not wind chills.

Pics I saw from NH and ME. Yours is coming in Feb.

Most NH/ME ski areas are under 50% open terrain.  That's pretty horrible considering many of them have 50-70% or more snow making coverage.  Now pics from lower elevations probably do look ok.  Before yesterdays snow a picture of my front yard would have shown 100% snow cover but it would not be indicative of the rest or the area. lol

Most NH/ME ski areas are under 50% open terrain. That's pretty horrible considering many of them have 50-70% or more snow making coverage. Now pics from lower elevations probably do look ok. Before yesterdays snow a picture of my front yard would have shown 100% snow cover but it would not be indicative of the rest or the area. lol

It's not great, but a lot better than VT. I know people going cross country skiing etc and Sunday River was hanging in there.

This is OT but can I get an idea of what the 26th to the 28 might be like for cold in Vermont? I plan to bring my 3 1/2 year old son skiing for the first time and I want to make sure it's not going to be 5 degrees.

Well the forecast isn't out that far but it might get quite chilly.

Although next weekend is near normal on the forecast for here:

Friday Night

Mostly cloudy with a 30 percent chance of snow showers. Lows 5 to 10 above.

Saturday

Cloudy with a 40 percent chance of snow showers. Highs in the lower 20s.

It's not great, but a lot better than VT. I know people going cross country skiing etc and Sunday River was hanging in there.

Well our cross country center has been open except for a handful of days earlier this week. You only need like 3-6" to do that.

I'd be real curious to see natural snow depths on Sunday River...we range from 10" at my 1500ft plot to 18" at 3000ft and 24" at the coop at 3800ft.

I've been astonished at the reports from the MWN area and Cannon/Wildcat...they certainly aren't doing better, as of right now there wouldn't be a MWN spring ski season. But we know it'll change in Feb-Apr.

I think the area that's the best is actually the foothills from like Dendrite/Gene up to Lewiston and that general swath. They probably have more than Pinkham Notch right now, haha. That may be skewing the opinion a bit because I was shocked at the relative lack of snow left after last weekends rain even in the mountains over there. I saw Dendrites backyard and figured those ski areas had 2+ feet but not even close.

I think it's been fascinating this winter though in regards that the lower elevations have been fairing better than the mountains. Like around Xmas here, the lowest elevations in the Champlain Valley had the most snowpack (ice pack haha). Now it's Dendrite and the lower elevations on NH/ME. Dendrite had 10" while Cannon had bare trails to the summit on Jan 13th. How often do we think that happens? In the Berkshires, MPM lost all his snow while Chris in Greenfield area has full cover...been interesting in that regard.

Well our cross country center has been open except for a handful of days earlier this week. You only need like 3-6" to do that.

I'd be real curious to see natural snow depths on Sunday River...we range from 10" at my 1500ft plot to 18" at 3000ft and 24" at the coop at 3800ft.

I've been astonished at the reports from the MWN area and Cannon/Wildcat...they certainly aren't doing better, as of right now there wouldn't be a MWN spring ski season. But we know it'll change in Feb-Apr.

I think the area that's the best is actually the foothills from like Dendrite/Gene up to Lewiston and that general swath. They probably have more than Pinkham Notch right now, haha. That may be skewing the opinion a bit because I was shocked at the relative lack of snow left after last weekends rain even in the mountains over there. I saw Dendrites backyard and figured those ski areas had 2+ feet but not even close.

You know how it goes...I was there for the 12-14" storm a few weeks ago and I couldn't find any spots anywhere above 10".  I wouldn't think their base is dramatically better than yours, primarily because they've had a few more torch issues than you.

You know how it goes...I was there for the 12-14" storm a few weeks ago and I couldn't find any spots anywhere above 10". I wouldn't think their base is dramatically better than yours, primarily because they've had a few more torch issues than you.

They've had less torch issues. They were CAD in all of them which is why lakes region through Sunday River has been surviving.

Archived