Newest Member
    12bet1 net
January Banter Banter Thread Part2

H2O

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks!

Tuning is B F# B E G# C# on that clip. Different tunings are one of the reasons I had so many guitars. The variax as cool because you change the tuning on the fly. The other guitars would need to be setup again for optimum playibility at different tunings..... especially with a tremolo equipped guitar.

The clip that I posted features a great free peavey 5150/6505 amp modeler called TSE X50. I am using Ignite Amp's free NadIR zero latency convolver with several mesa boogie recto v30 equipped impulses. Mics include SM57 & a 421. Impulses were created using the power amp section from a 6505. Guitars just have the normal highpass and lowpass filters that are commonly used to eliminate frequencies outside of the normal frequency spectrum of a guitar.

Bass is DI with another great free vst from TSE (B.O.D. v2). That runs through a LA2A compressor and equalized using Izotope's Ozone5 EQ with a large cut in the 500hz region. Also some signal was sent to the X50 for some extra git and finished off with a fx send to some chorus with a high pass eq filter set @ nearly 700hz. There are also the normal highpass and lowpass filters that are commonly used to eliminate frequencies outside of the normal frequency spectrum of a bass guitar.

Drums are Superior Drummer 2 with the Metal! EZX using moslty default settings. All the drums are bussed out (multi-out) to individual tracks in the DAW. The kick and toms have a SSL comp in their signal chains along with some slight EQ. Both the snare and kick have Gclip in their chains to clip off some the transient drum hits.

All of those busses are sent to a "pre-master buss" which has a mid/side EQ (Baxter EQ) and some aditional metering for monitoring purposes.

The Master buss has FG-X (Final Comp and Limiter) followed by Izotope Ozone5 EQ on it. And last... but not least is another instance of Gclip to catch any stray transients.

BTW... Alot of the free plugins perform better than the ones I paid for....which is why I choose to use them instead.

Man, you have got the recording thing down. Thanks for the break down. I really love the tuning and intensity of the piece. At this point I'm using the logic plug ins for compression, reverb ect... I will look into some of these free plug in's.

Here is a short snippet from a project. This is more of an experimentation using the software instruments. I recorded the guitar through a fender hot rod deville using an sm57 mic. Sorry about the tuning...my guitar went out of tune towards the end. I blame it on the weather. It was cold, foggy, and rainy when I made the recording .

This sounds good! Thanks for posting.

The fender hot rod is a cool amp for sure.

Nice job!

Also like how you kept the post weather related. I have a guitar with a tung oil finish on the back of the neck that is a little more susceptible to changes in humidity etc. Sometimes I think it changes with the barometric pressure... LOL!

This sounds good! Thanks for posting.

The fender hot rod is a cool amp for sure.

Nice job!

Also like how you kept the post weather related. I have a guitar with a tung oil finish on the back of the neck that is a little more susceptible to changes in humidity etc. Sometimes I think it changes with the barometric pressure... LOL!

Thanks...I was playing a yamaha sbg2000 with EMG active humbuckers. My room was still warming up when I recorded it. 

Man, you have got the recording thing down. Thanks for the break down. I really love the tuning and intensity of the piece. At this point I'm using the logic plug ins for compression, reverb ect... I will look into some of these free plug in's.

Yeah...countless hours spent on it. Just like this weather hobby. Alot of times I work on both simultaneously. ADD...perhaps?

Those plugins are worth looking into... you will probably find more in your search.

Here are some keywords...

GClip, GGFader, etc.

Blockfish

Ignite Amps

Lepou

TSE

Variety of Sound

Brainworks

Ozone

EZDrummer

Superior Drummer

Waves VST

Here is a pic of that session....

Session.jpg

BTW...I couldn't fit it all into one pic.

The progression is Em C A-Maj . The bass moves through different inversions. I'm soloing in Em pentatonic/ blues. For more color, you can play the c# over the A chord (e dorian mode). It's a nice progression for dreary, rainy, foggy weather. I was also thinking of a polar vortex theme...lol

A-maj??? really...hmmmm

geez, to my ear it sounds more like an Am or Am7

Am7 would fit with the  dorian mode you suggest and an Em scale (Em = Gmaj which would give you the A Dorian, B Phrygian, etc.)

:snowman:  :guitar:

Yeah...countless hours spent on it. Just like this weather hobby. Alot of times I work on both simultaneously. ADD...perhaps?

Those plugins are worth looking into... you will probably find more in your search.

Here are some keywords...

GClip, GGFader, etc.

Blockfish

Ignite Amps

Lepou

TSE

Variety of Sound

Brainworks

Ozone

EZDrummer

Superior Drummer

Waves VST

Here is a pic of that session....

Session.jpg

BTW...I couldn't fit it all into one pic.

Thanks! It is amazing how fast a recording can become 20 or thirty faders on the mixer.  And man is it a time consuming effort! I can tell you put the hours into that clip you shared. I've been performing music most of my life, but I only recently put together my recording gear. So far I have spent countless hours fiddling with mixes and experimenting. I have a few serious projects in the works but that is it so far. I'm looking forward to some snow days so I can spend 16 hours straight recording tracks.    :guitar:

Thanks...I was playing a yamaha sbg2000 with EMG active humbuckers. My room was still warming up when I recorded it. 

Did you switch the pups out to actives? It looks those came with passives.

Regardless, it sounds good!

I was looking at your recording in DAW using a spectrum analyzer. Good job on levels and getting the mix to commercial standard output levels.

Alot of people struggle with that. I did notice the region below 54hz has alot of content. So I did a high pass at that frequency and nothing is lost in the mix (Though I do have my sub woofer off). I think you could highpass that and lose a lot of unwanted/uneeded frequencies on the low end (muddyness) and gain headroom in your recordings. Give it a try!

A-maj??? really...hmmmm

geez, to my ear it sounds more like an Am or Am7

Am7 would fit with the  dorian mode you suggest and an Em scale (Em = Gmaj which would give you the A Dorian, B Phrygian, etc.)

Yeah, the A major is subtle, but If you key in on the bass, you can here where it goes to a c# For the most part the A is played with the c# in the root. The C chord is a C maj7 so the b note sort of drones through the whole piece. I also am letting the g note drone through. If you play an open e minor - cmaj7 then just play the c# with your pinky one fret up. At least I think that is what i did...lol 

Yeah, the A major is subtle, but If you key in on the bass, you can here where it goes to a c# For the most part the A is played with the c# in the root. The C chord is a C maj7 so the b note sort of drones through the whole piece. I also am letting the g note drone through. If you play an open e minor - cmaj7 then just play the c# with your pinky one fret up. At least I think that is what i did...lol 

C# is the 3rd of an Amaj chord so that implies the A

funny how the little things sound "right" because they make sense musically

Did you switch the pups out to actives? It looks those came with passives.

Regardless, it sounds good!

I was looking at your recording in DAW using a spectrum analyzer. Good job on levels and getting the mix to commercial standard output levels.

Alot of people struggle with that. I did notice the region below 54hz has alot of content. So I did a high pass at that frequency and nothing is lost in the mix (Though I do have my sub woofer off). I think you could highpass that and lose a lot of unwanted/uneeded frequencies on the low end (muddyness) and gain headroom in your recordings. Give it a try!

Yeah I switched them out many years ago. I did a pseudo  mastering and tried to get it to zero db, but didn't focus too much on the eq....I'm still learning about that and how to use the analyzer. Thanks for the feedback! I will definitely give the high pass a try.

All the guitar talk in here, I love good guitar solos although I cant play worth a crap lol. I always liked the solo from Hitch a Ride by Boston. This is probs the best cover I have seen of it on Youtube.

Gotta love boston... alot of talent there and certainly a signature sound.

I believe alot of thier earlier recordings were "basement" recordings.

The guitar tone was particularly unique. I remember the Tom Sholz "Rockman" (starting to show my age).

rockman_top.jpg

Gotta love boston... alot of talent there and certainly a signature sound.

I believe alot of thier earlier recordings were "basement" recordings.

The guitar tone was particularly unique. I remember the Tom Sholz "Rockman" (starting to show my age).

rockman_top.jpg

I always hated Boston even before I knew how much snow the city received     lol

just didn't impress me

I'm a Glen Burnie boy who learned listening to Johnnie Winter, Roy Buchanan (God rest his soul), Alvin Lee (God rest his soul too), Ted Nugent, and, of course, Jimmy Page

speed baby, speed....I guess you can say I was all Ritchie Highway

Really!?!?.. I would have thought with some of the other artists that you listed earlier that you would have not hated boston (the band).

I guess that's why they make chocolate and vanilla...to each their own.

Funny thing is... I like alot of the guitarist that you listed in your last post. I grew up with that stuff. I also grew up with Ritchie Hwy...but further south. The Servena Park region...so maybe that explains it?

BTW... my face is a Maserati.

Really!?!?.. I would have thought with some of the other artists that you listed earlier that you would have not hated boston (the band).

I guess that's why they make chocolate and vanilla...to each their own.

Funny thing is... I like alot of the guitarist that you listed in your last post. I grew up with that stuff. I also grew up with Ritchie Hwy...but further south. The Servena Park region...so maybe that explains it?

BTW... my face is a Maserati.

well, although I lived in GB, I did go to school in Arnold (Wroxeter-long since closed and it's a shame what they did to the property) and Severn for a few years

Archived