• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
January 20-? Cold snap

Ottawa Blizzard

I don't think it sucks. But it's not a lock it up solution anymore, like it sorta used to be, outside a couple of days. I do think it was good/consistent with the January 5 storm, while the other models were chasing their tales. But, that was a different type of storm...

there was some hyperbole in my post but the 200 mile run to run shifts are getting old

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now I'm at -29ºC with a wind chill of -35C which is the lowest in quite a few years I think. In the Top 4 coldest temperatures I've ever lived through. Still dropping 1ºC per hour. This completes the full-on winter package now, its the entire deal here. -28.8ºC at the UW weather station in Waterloo ON.

The forecast low for tonight has changed 3 times already in the span of a few hours to catch up to what is actually happening (was -21ºC at first now -28ºC). I just have to shake my head at the model's projections of extreme cold, going to see some features in the environment rarely ever seen at this rate.

Alliston -35, Peterborough -32, Parry Sound -33. These are air temps. Coldest stuff I've seen that far south in years.

Very impressive. Only managed to make it down to -23C (-9F) here last night. A bit disappointing given the clear skies and air mass in place, winds just couldn't calm down.

Howell bottomed out at -12 officially, my parents house hit -17.

My own house is unknown, since my POS PWS only records the lowest its ever hit unless you reset it, the previous -19.1F from 2 weeks ago trumped whatever hit last night.

We could be looking at 3-4 separate cold outbreaks with double digit below zero readings. This winter is UNREAL.

Very impressive. Only managed to make it down to -23C (-9F) here last night. A bit disappointing given the clear skies and air mass in place, winds just couldn't calm down.

The winds are really calm at the moment, making it actually quite pleasant outside, despite being 0f/-17c.

It was -26.8C on my thermometer this morning. Impressive to say the least! Coldest night of the season.

My lowest ever recorded temperature IMBY in Toronto was -26 Celsius on January 14, 1999. Second lowest was -24.8 Celsius on January 3rd of this year.

Remember the time winter was canceled because of a couple of op GFS runs?

2m temp anomalies - January 18 and 22 12z runs for Jan 27.

attachicon.gif1:18 12z gfs 228 2m temps.png

attachicon.gif1:22 gfs 132 2m temps.png

2m temp anomalies - January 18 and 22 12z runs for Jan 28.

attachicon.gif1:18 12z gfs 252 2m temps.png

attachicon.gif1:22 12z gfs 156 2m temps.png

:lmao:

When I lived in Ontario I kept daily weather records and was outside around midnight on that coldest night in Jan 1976, it was -41 and there was a sound like a rifle shot out of the trees behind my back yard. I guess it was something to do with frost in the tree branches. That was about 20 miles northeast of Orillia in the snow belt, and the lowest temperature I recorded over four winters at that location or anywhere since then although I had -40 even in Lakefield north of Peterborough in Jan 94. No exploding trees there however.

I was thinking of that date today, wasn't around to experience it. Rifle shot noises start around -40ºC as you said.

Alliston -35, Peterborough -32, Parry Sound -33. These are air temps. Coldest stuff I've seen that far south in years.

Amazing!  :shiver: 

It got down to -30ºC with a wind chill of -36C for me which is in the Top 3 coldest temps I've experienced. The 24 hour Obs page on TWN is broken so I don't know if it got any colder but the UW weather station got down to -29.8ºC. Some sundog pics might show up.

I was thinking of that date today, wasn't around to experience it. Rifle shot noises start around -40ºC as you said.

Amazing!  :shiver:

It got down to -30ºC with a wind chill of -36C for me which is in the Top 3 coldest temps I've experienced. The 24 hour Obs page on TWN is broken so I don't know if it got any colder but the UW weather station got down to -29.8ºC. Some sundog pics might show up.

...RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE SET AT WATERTOWN NY...

A RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE OF -33 DEGREES WAS SET AT WATERTOWN NY YESTERDAY.

THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF -26 SET IN 2009.

...RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE SET AT WATERTOWN NY...

A RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE OF -37 DEGREES WAS SET AT WATERTOWN NY THIS

MORNING. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF -32 SET IN 1970.

Back to back -30s in Watertown. Case Study paper on why it gets so cold in Watertown in comparison to nearby regions.

http://www.comet.ucar.edu/outreach/abstract_final/1083405_buff_st.pdf

Boys up in International Falls are probably laughing...this is shorts weather :sizzle:

This cold gets old extremely fast, no clue how anyone can enjoy this for long periods of time. I can't even go play ice hockey outside because its to dam cold. Can't board because my face freezes up going down the hill in one run. ZZzzz.

Sitting at -4.6F at the house right now...

Remember the time winter was canceled because of a couple of op GFS runs?

2m temp anomalies - January 18 and 22 12z runs for Jan 27.

attachicon.gif1:18 12z gfs 228 2m temps.png

attachicon.gif1:22 gfs 132 2m temps.png

2m temp anomalies - January 18 and 22 12z runs for Jan 28.

attachicon.gif1:18 12z gfs 252 2m temps.png

attachicon.gif1:22 12z gfs 156 2m temps.png

:lmao:  You and JB correctly called the GFS out.

0z GFS with widespread temps at -20 Tuesday morning across northern IL with a small area of -25 by Cycloneville.

This is ridiculous to see this in less than a month. Really amazing and historic stuff

Seems overdone unless the gradient relaxes a bit more.  I'd be inclined to buy it with a lesser pressure gradient or colder 850 mb temps than what's being advertised.  Wonder if Wednesday morning would actually be colder but this is still out in model la la land.

post-14-0-78552000-1390451879_thumb.png

0z GFS with widespread temps at -20 Tuesday morning across northern IL with a small area of -25 by Cycloneville.

This is ridiculous to see this in less than a month. Really amazing and historic stuff

Likely not unprecedented though. It likely occurred in January 1936 and 1994, perhaps even 1857.

I thought we were all forecasters. :)

Anyway, just wondering as I don't have access to much local info, what is the current state of play for the Ohio River, cuz the temps by mid-week look cold enough to freeze just about anything other than maybe the atmosphere itself. All I remember, rather vaguely, is some sort of energy crisis in Jan 1977 when the Ohio River froze over.

Archived