wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
January 20-? Cold snap

Ottawa Blizzard

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

meh, GFS makes no sense after 168 hours. PV looks overly displaced south even though the upper levels don't support that height level. Most likely still in error considering the truncation.

Well, leave it to you, the wet blanket.  :lol:  I guess I can expect 850 mb temps of +10C in here on the 29th as earlier runs of the GFS were suggesting?

meh, GFS makes no sense after 168 hours. PV looks overly displaced south even though the upper levels don't support that height level. Most likely still in error considering the truncation.

Last night on the 11oclock news Ben Gelber had 35 for the high this Sunday.   Sounds like he's in the Angry camp.   Let's see what happens.

00z euro showing 2mTemps getting down to -20 to -25 below zero Tues night/Wed am for most of S.MI from about Kalamazoo to Lansing up towards Saginaw and down into ne.IN and Nw OH. Just brutal.

Some incredible stuff on the Euro both early and late. I am about fed up with this cold crap though. When 20 is balmy there is something wrong.

Some incredible stuff on the Euro both early and late. I am about fed up with this cold crap though. When 20 is balmy there is something wrong.

Indeed it is. Funny ( 20 feeling warm ) but very true. I too can do without that kind of cold. Just hope there is not any wind this go around. Shouldn't be as much wind though as the high is almost overhead that night.

Will be very interesting too see how much ice is covering the lake ( Michigan )  by next Thursday if this all plays out as shown.

I'm trying to take it all in good and bad. Sure a nighttime low of -19°F is not very comfortable but if we are going to make this winter cold it might as well be a epic winter that we can all reminisce about over the upcoming torchy ones. I'm hoping for this season to be as memorable in time as the 76-77 or 1912-1913 winters.

With that being said the upcoming spring season will be one of the most welcomed in a very long time. I heard a bird the other morning and it was nice to break up the silence of winter outdoors with the tune of a feathered friend. Sure it was only one, but perhaps he too was complaining about the cold and wishing for some 20° temps to warm up to.

I'm trying to take it all in good and bad. Sure a nighttime low of -19°F is not very comfortable but if we are going to make this winter cold it might as well be a epic winter that we can all reminisce about over the upcoming torchy ones. I'm hoping for this season to be as memorable in time as the 76-77 or 1912-1913 winters.

With that being said the upcoming spring season will be one of the most welcomed in a very long time. I heard a bird the other morning and it was nice to break up the silence of winter outdoors with the tune of a feathered friend. Sure it was only one, but perhaps he too was complaining about the cold and wishing for some 20° temps to warm up to.

This.

As I've said before, we have no chance of having a memorable snow month this January so may as well take the cold all the way and hope for the best in February.

East end definitely does not have 2"

It's amazing to see the difference in snow depth/cover within the downtown core. There is basically little or nothing on the main streets (eg, intersection of Yonge and Dundas), but if you go to up the street to Queens Park/U of T (where the downtown weather station is located), it's a winter wonderland.

FYI, the exact location of the downtown station is located at U of T Trinity College, just north of Hoskin Ave (near Varsity stadium/Royal Ontario Museum).

It got down to -4F this morning downtown.

East end definitely does not have 2"

In my area i have about 5-6" on the ground, :D.  Its definitely a winter wonderland as you move away from the Lake. And before I left this morning, my thermometer had a reading of -22.8C, and that was around 630-7am. This has really been a dead month thus far and nothing exciting in the foreseeable future by the looks of it either. If this cold pans out through Jan 31st, this month may end up being the coldest since Jan 2009, which had a mean temperature of -8.8C. 

So like Ottawa Blizzard said, atleast we got extreme cold to enjoy  <_<

Archived