Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter Part 3

mreaves

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Event totals: 0.5” Snow/0.04” L.E.

I was up at the mountain a lot of the day, so I don’t know the intensity with which it fell, but there was a half inch of new snow down at the house when we stopped in around midday.

Details from the 1:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.5 inches

New Liquid: 0.04 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 12.5

Snow Density: 8.0% H2O

Temperature: 34.0 F

Sky: Flurries

Snow at the stake: 18.5 inches

Although this was a fairly minor storm in terms of accumulation, it is notable in one respect – it marks the 54th accumulating storm of the season for this location, and it’s the first time that number has been reached since I’ve been tracking snowfall here.  So, this season now holds the top spot in that category, besting 2007-2008.  Despite the snowfall that has been persistently lagging behind average pace, and remains that way presently, this season has certainly been active and it was have that as at least one feather in its cap.

Up at the mountain there was some impressive snowfall at times today.  In the morning there were a few bouts of reasonably robust snowfall amidst a lot of showery periods, but the heaviest stuff was witnessed when I went back up for a few runs in the afternoon.  At one point, visibility was down to around 100 feet at the Vista Summit – I was roughly 100-200 feet away from the patrol hut there, and it was entirely invisible at times.  Unfortunately there’s not much point in getting an image of the building when it’s totally invisible, because all you see is white, so I grabbed a shot of one of the periods when it was on the verge of disappearing and I’ve added that in the images from today below.  The bursts of heavy snow didn’t last so long that they really meant massive accumulations, but I’d say the mountain picked up 1-2 inches of new, and indeed that’s what the snow report is saying this evening.  Fortunately, there wasn’t a huge need for new powder today because most of the mountain hadn’t been skied due to yesterday’s wind holds.

22MAR14E.jpg

22MAR14D.jpg

22MAR14C.jpg

Ok I have to ask... how'd they get 5" overnight and 0" at the base? 

Curiosity is really starting to get the best of me with 18" at the summit and 3" at the base in the last 3 days.  Was it raining or something?

No, no rain. I'm still at the house and we have about a half inch here. I'll see what the deal is when I get up top.

No, no rain. I'm still at the house and we have about a half inch here. I'll see what the deal is when I get up top.

I talked to John over there at SB...and it was what I was thinking...the base measurement is out in the wind-swept area so its probably not indicative of what's falling.  The upper mountain spots are more protected.  That would be the only way to explain it as I don't doubt the higher amounts as they fit with other area reports.  But the wide range between base and summit is something that you wouldn't normally see.

Event totals: 1.3” Snow/0.07” L.E.

We received another fluffy 0.8” overnight from the back side of this storm, with additional light snow falling this morning that has provided some further accumulation.

Details from the 7:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.8 inches

New Liquid: 0.03 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 26.7

Snow Density: 3.8% H2O

Temperature: 24.4 F

Sky: Light Snow (2-10 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 18.5 inches

The north to south listing of available storm totals from the Vermont ski areas are listed below for this latest storm, with the larger accumulations in the northern half of the state as anticipated with the low pressure track:

Jay Peak: 8”

Burke: 3”

Smuggler’s Notch: 6”

Stowe: 5”

Bolton Valley: 5”

Sugarbush: 8”

Pico: 3”

Killington: 3”

Okemo: 0”

Bromley: 1”

Magic Mountain: 1”

Stratton: 2”

Mount Snow: 0”

Holy sh*t there is a lot of snow up here.

And the gradient was insane. Nothing in concord gradually to like 25+" still on campus, and probably more away from campus. Crazy.

there's plenty of snow in concord away from the highway and torch spots. i rode the snowmobile on good trails yesterday just west of concord

Archived