joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter Part 3

mreaves

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well looks like we hit 22-23F at MVL, so at least we got over the climo average minimum temperature for the date (21F) :lol:

Nittany, I noticed the MVL F6 climate form is missing temperature data from March 11th...is that something easily correctable or did the ASOS crap out that day?

Well looks like we hit 22-23F at MVL, so at least we got over the climo average minimum temperature for the date (21F) :lol:

Nittany, I noticed the MVL F6 climate form is missing temperature data from March 11th...is that something easily correctable or did the ASOS crap out that day?

The ASOS reported no temp/dew from 3-13z, but that day had an afternoon high and late midnight min so it could probably be determined even if there was sensor failure.

Just checked into it. The ASOS did crap out in the morning, but looks like the highs and lows shouldn't have been affected, so just sent out a correction :thumbsup:

Just checked into it. The ASOS did crap out in the morning, but looks like the highs and lows shouldn't have been affected, so just sent out a correction :thumbsup:

nice!  thanks, appreciate it.  hopefully it warms up for ya soon, haha.  I finally had enough this morning when it took 15 minutes of running the heat to defrost the windshield at -9F.  I could go for a sunny 45F day...would feel like July.

nice! thanks, appreciate it. hopefully it warms up for ya soon, haha. I finally had enough this morning when it took 15 minutes of running the heat to defrost the windshield at -9F. I could go for a sunny 45F day...would feel like July.

NNE boys calling for their Mommas, March was basically a winter month so all your grades should be Dec 1 to April 1

NNE boys calling for their Mommas, March was basically a winter month so all your grades should be Dec 1 to April 1

I will maintain my B grade. You just can't make up for the 5 weeks of crap we had from the last week of December through the month of January. I'm thinking December B-, January D (saved from failure only by the cold), February B+, March A+. Not sure if that actually averages out to a B but that's my overall feel.

Had 21/-15, which is departure of -28, ties 3/7/07 for 2nd greatest March neg. (Greatest was 3/8/07 with -32, 7/-22 with the norm 24.5, biggest departure I've recorded here in any month, + or -.) Temp at 9 PM was 6, so another subzero almost certain, possible -10 or lower.

damn it's cold up there, hope you still have wood

18 here

I will maintain my B grade. You just can't make up for the 5 weeks of crap we had from the last week of December through the month of January. I'm thinking December B-, January D (saved from failure only by the cold), February B+, March A+. Not sure if that actually averages out to a B but that's my overall feel.

I agree with the B-. We always deal with some crap in January, this year was just beyond the pale. I was lucky and missed 2 weeks in the heart of the darkness so my perception may be somewhat skewed. I'd actually give January an F, but add in November with an A.

Crying again this morning with -9F and falling.

NBD, we are only consistently getting 20-30+ below normal overnight temps. And 10-20 below normal daytime highs. Yesterday was a -26 which is darn impressive.

Still on pace to be by far the most impressive cold month I've ever experienced up here. What were those Midwest departures last year in March or April? Are we rivaling those with -11.8F through the 24th?

Cold, crisp snowpack out there...still sparkles and squeaks underfoot like its mid January.

-10 at 1p1, but -1 on campus. Nice -25 type morning. We should be done now with this, two more cold days today and tomorrow, then some normal late march wx.

The amazing thing about averaging -12 departures for 24 days is that a solid warm up results in temps getting near normal, haha.

March is running colder than December and February at this point. Impressive stuff going into the last week of March.

Here are the monthly average temperatures up here at MVL/Morrisville-Stowe Airport:

December...20.9F (-1.9 from normal)

January...14.8F (-1.1 from normal)

February...16.2F (-2.4 from normal)

March...15.4F (-12.0 from normal)

damn it's cold up there, hope you still have wood

18 here

Moved the last half-cord of split wood onto the porch Saturday, which should last for about 1,000 HDDs, and the pile that had been there before should get me thru the first week of April. Late May cutoffs with rainy 40s may require me to work up some of the 6-foot stuff now well-buried in white. One hopes the days with HDDs in the 50s and 60s end today - from only the non-recording indoor-outdoor instrument, my low this morning looked very similar to yesterday's.

MPV

December...20.9F (-1.9 from normal)

January...14.8F (-1.1 from normal)

February...16.2F (-2.4 from normal)

March...15.4F (-12.0 from normal)

MBY (based on records beginning 1998-99)

DEC....15.6 (-6.2)

JAN.....11.2 (-2.9)

FEB.....13.9 (-3.9)

MAR 1-24...16.0 (-10.4)

This is my first year that all four months were at least 2F below the avg.

How is Sat night looking up here?  BTV said low was tracking south of here but looked mostly wet.  Any chance this is more of a snow shot up this way?

I have not been paying attention to this weekend but just looked at the 12Z gfs.  Looks like a slug of moisture will be passing through and it would be cold enough for snow in NNE. This would be Saturday night, more than 4 days out, so I would not put much stock in it working out but something to watch I guess.

Archived