joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter Part 3

mreaves

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there's plenty of snow in concord away from the highway and torch spots. i rode the snowmobile on good trails yesterday just west of concord

Fair enough. There's 30" still in a lot of areas up here, how much is there in wooded areas of Concord?

One of the most amazing things to me is even on 93, when you get north of exit 22, there's like 18-22". That's insane for the highway in late march.

Another good snowmobile day. Rode out of Andover over to Rumford and around toward Newry. Snow is crazy deep. I keep reminding myself what the calendar says, but it felt and looks like early feb. Clubs are running out of money to groom and we hit some bumpy stuff, but overall, just an awesome day to be out enjoying what's left of winter.

Another good snowmobile day. Rode out of Andover over to Rumford and around toward Newry. Snow is crazy deep. I keep reminding myself what the calendar says, but it felt and looks like early feb. Clubs are running out of money to groom and we hit some bumpy stuff, but overall, just an awesome day to be out enjoying what's left of winter.

yes I was amazed at the depths up there,good stuff

Fair enough. There's 30" still in a lot of areas up here, how much is there in wooded areas of Concord?

One of the most amazing things to me is even on 93, when you get north of exit 22, there's like 18-22". That's insane for the highway in late march.

CON had 19" this morning. I'm at about 21". That whole sheltered region from Sandwich-Tamworth-N Conway is over 30".

I was out with the dog this afternoon and prodded 24-27" depths in general around the yard at 750ft.  Pretty solid, but up at 1,500ft was at 42" so there's a decent elevational gradient, and that increases to 87" at 3,700ft.

Some shots from up and down the Mountain Road.

IMG_2110_edited-1.jpg

Snow falling off the roof-tops, and digging out the windows at Northern Lights.

IMG_2111_edited-1.jpg

Topnotch Resort and Spa

IMG_2112_edited-2.jpg

Great day! Fresh powder and bluebird skies.

I don't know if there was actually 5" up top. I thought more like 3" but at this point it doesn't matter. The mtn is wall to wall excellent. Ton of snow everywhere.

I am now satisfied with this winter. 2 more powder days this weekend brings me to 8 (or 9, I'm not sure).

Great day! Fresh powder and bluebird skies.

I don't know if there was actually 5" up top. I thought more like 3" but at this point it doesn't matter. The mtn is wall to wall excellent. Ton of snow everywhere.

I am now satisfied with this winter. 2 more powder days this weekend brings me to 8 (or 9, I'm not sure).

Yeah at this point it honestly doesn't matter...there's so much powder.

I'm satisfied too. MET winter wasn't anything special but we needed this March to end winter with a good taste in our mouth.

March and November were the above normal snow months, Feb was average, Dec and Jan were quite below.

dendrite already answered for CON, but where I was, i would say on average 15-20"

-3° this morning.  What really strikes me is how clean looking the snow has remained.  I still have over 2 ft. on the ground and it looks like it just fell.  As much as I love winter, I'm getting to the point where I want to see some sign of it winding down.

Low of 6F. Couple more nights worth of wood for the stove, and that's it. Looking at late week temps, seems my timing worked out quite well for running out of wood. Bring on spring, but let's hope for a gradual warm up and minimal rains. Camp road already developing the wagon wheel look.

Only 0.25" behind last year's total snow. Hoping we can pull off at least 1" on weds.  

-3° this morning.  What really strikes me is how clean looking the snow has remained.  I still have over 2 ft. on the ground and it looks like it just fell.  As much as I love winter, I'm getting to the point where I want to see some sign of it winding down.

Well most areas have seen between 24-36" of snow in the past three weeks with no rain or thaw.  Here its been like 33-34" with over 2.5" of liquid equiv and no real melt or thaw during that time...so it just builds and builds.  I think the fresh snow has had a feedback on the cold temperatures too...this isn't a stale snowpack and its been consistently refreshed.  That in turn probably feeds back into the cold to make it even colder than it usually would under similar temps aloft this time of year.  Especially with these little fluffy toppings of like 1-5" that have fallen a few times in the past couple weeks.  The snowpack is cold, mid-winter stuff...and I'd imagine is playing a role in why BTV/MPV/MVL are all -9 to -12 on the month (which is incredible for this area that seems like it can't buy a cold month sometimes). 

Agreed--our pack looks pretty fresh & sparkly still. I imagine it will start to stale pretty quickly now though.

Can't fight the calendar....

First CT Lake pulled -28 so far this morning

Looks like that's the winner. I heard that K40B touched -23, no news of the other consistent-cold Maine points. It was -12 at my place as I headed in to work. Prior to this month, my latest to reach -10 or lower was 3/11; today was the 3rd such morning coming after that date, with a decent chance that tomorrow makes #4, and the two days should each be -20 departures. Snowpack settling a bit, down to 41".

Edit: Departures thru 3/23 for GYX/CAR areas:

CAR -9.9

BGR -7.4

PWM -6.3

CON -7.8

Good to see CAR leading the charge, unlike the recent past when they seemed to be warmest relative to their norms.

CON's max temps seem to be running a little low to me. Their high through 18z is 24F and I had reached 24-25F by then.

Other 18z highs

1P1 23F

LEB 24F

MHT 28F

ASH 28F

I'd expect CON to be about 26F which is what the mesos in the area are at. It's not just today either. I've noticed it quite a bit the past few months and these breezy CAA days it sticks out more.

CON's max temps seem to be running a little low to me. Their high through 18z is 24F and I had reached 24-25F by then.

Other 18z highs

1P1 23F

LEB 24F

MHT 28F

ASH 28F

I'd expect CON to be about 26F which is what the mesos in the area are at. It's not just today either. I've noticed it quite a bit the past few months and these breezy CAA days it sticks out more.

I wonder if it is pulling a reverse-AFN...where for a couple months AFN was running pretty warm I recall in 2012. They corrected it (or it corrected itself) eventually.

I wonder if it is pulling a reverse-AFN...where for a couple months AFN was running pretty warm I recall in 2012. They corrected it (or it corrected itself) eventually.

Yeah...I remember you catching the AFN drift. There definitely seems to be some drift in the CON daytime temps in the last 3 months. In that graph a positive error means the analysis is higher than the reported temp so the actual readings are colder than expected.

Archived