• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
You get the chance to relive 3 winter storms

snowstormcanuck

We've done this before but what the hay. Didn't have to occur during your lifetime or even in your location.

Me:

December 11-12, 1944 (22.5", Toronto's biggest snowstorm ever)

January 14-15, 1968 (~1" of ice followed by ~1 foot of snow)

January 2-3, 1999 (15.1". Biggest snowstorm since the 1944 storm)

Honourable mention to November 1950. Wicked winds and a wet, caking snow, but amounts in Toronto were nothing spectacular. If I was in SW MI I'd hit it harder.

December 1929 (LAF), January 1967 (IKK), and January 1978 (LAF).

But if I could only pick one...it's January 1978. Lowest snow total of my three chosen storms to relive...but the overall ferocity of the storm makes it #1 easily. Of course I was alive for that storm, and in IL at the time, though not much memory being I was only 2 years old, almost 3. :D

Jan 2nd 1999 in Onaway, MI has been my favorite storm so far in my life. We picked up around 18 inches and the drifts + depth was insane, probably had a foot before the storm even hit.

I was up there that weekend. We left right before the storm started. I was at Beaver Lake near Fletcher Pond

We've done this before but what the hay. Didn't have to occur during your lifetime or even in your location.

Me:

December 11-12, 1948 (22.5", Toronto's biggest snowstorm ever)

January 14-15, 1968 (~1" of ice followed by ~1 foot of snow)

January 2-3, 1999 (15.1". Biggest snowstorm since the 1948 storm)

Honourable mention to November 1950. Wicked winds and a wet, caking snow, but amounts in Toronto were nothing spectacular. If I was in SW MI I'd hit it harder.

Don't forget about March of 1870 in Toronto 3 events of 15"+ and 2 of them were 20"+. Also 36.5" fell between 3/12-16

1) Buffalo Blizzard of 1977-

http://www.wbuf.noaa.gov/bzpns.htm

2.) Buffalo Blizzard of 1985

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/buf/webclimo/JAN21.htm

3.) Lake Effect Event of 2001- 82.6 inches of snow in 5 days.

http://www.meted.ucar.edu/nwp/pcu3/cases/KBUF/

Honorable Mention (Have to include this at it got me interested in meteorology)

Lake Effect Event of 1995- Still holds the record for accumulations in a 1 day period at 38.6 inches in 24 hours.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/buf/respap2a.html

1. The January blizzard of 1978, the "Cleveland Superbomb." Doesn't need a ton of explanation as to why. Odds I see something that intense in my life are low.

2. November 9-14, 1996 lake effect snowstorm. Totals over 60" reported east of Cleveland. My location would've seen a bit over 20" of snow but it would've been a short drive to the 60"+ totals. Thundersnow was reported and the snow:liquid of the snow was low for LES, 10-15:1, making the 60"+ totals very remarkable.

3. April 23-25, 2005 synoptic/lake enhanced snowstorm. Nearly 20" of cement at my location over the course of about 36 hours. This is the only storm on this list that I actually remember. Tree and powerline damage was very widespread with local amounts of over 2 feet. Extremely remarkable due to how late in the season it occurred.

Honorable mention: March 7-8, 2008. Widespread 10-20" amounts across NE Ohio with blizzard criteria winds and visibilities at times. ILN issued blizzard warnings, CLE did not. This doesn't make the top 3 because I don't feel it's as fluky/rare as heavy late April snow or a storm like the Cleveland superbomb, and the November 1996 LES and Cleveland Superbomb both top it outright IMO.

1. The January blizzard of 1978, the "Cleveland Superbomb." Doesn't need a ton of explanation as to why. Odds I see something that intense in my life are low.

2. November 9-14, 1996 lake effect snowstorm. Totals over 60" reported east of Cleveland. My location would've seen a bit over 20" of snow but it would've been a short drive to the 60"+ totals. Thundersnow was reported and the snow:liquid of the snow was low for LES, 10-15:1, making the 60"+ totals very remarkable.

3. April 23-25, 2005 synoptic/lake enhanced snowstorm. Nearly 20" of cement at my location over the course of about 36 hours. This is the only storm on this list that I actually remember. Tree and powerline damage was very widespread with local amounts of over 2 feet. Extremely remarkable due to how late in the season it occurred.

Honorable mention: March 7-8, 2008. Widespread 10-20" amounts across NE Ohio with blizzard criteria winds and visibilities at times. ILN issued blizzard warnings, CLE did not. This doesn't make the top 3 because I don't feel it's as fluky/rare as heavy late April snow or a storm like the Cleveland superbomb, and the November 1996 LES and Cleveland Superbomb both top it outright IMO.

I remember driving back from Florida and passing Erie PA in that storm. They must have gotten close to 30 inches in that storm. The snow banks were HUGE, and it was a very wet snow. QPF totals must have been insane.

I remember driving back from Florida and passing Erie PA in that storm. They must have gotten close to 30 inches in that storm. The snow banks were HUGE, and it was a very wet snow. QPF totals must have been insane.

I'll have to see if I can pull up the data for that storm, but it was a wet snow and I do believe NW PA did extremely well too...so storm total liquid equivalents of around 2.00" in Erie aren't unfathomable.

What is even more remarkable is much of Northern Ohio and NW PA saw a significant snowstorm April 2-3, 2005...with general synoptic snow amounts of 3-8" and totals near two feet east of Cleveland where the heaviest LES occurred. It really was a remarkable month for the region.

Edit: I'll double check this but it looks like KERI may have only logged a trace of snow from the April 23-25 storm, with air temperatures never getting below 34. KCLE logged about a foot and areas farther inland saw locally up to two feet though.

1. January 2nd 1999 Blizzard

2. Super Tuesday Snowstorm 2008, Mount Pleasant received around 20" of snow with this event.

3. GHD Blizzard even though it didn't meet expectations locally, it was still pretty awesome and forecasting/tracking the blizzard up to the event was fun.

Easy choices for me.

1)  December '87 blizzard.  Hours of thundersnow, 60mph+ winds, 12" of <10:1 cement.

2)  January '95 blizzard.  15"+.  Thundersnow.  Cashed in on a very narrow, but extremely heavy deformation band that dumped over 20" down around Columbia MO.

3)  GHD '11.  16-18" of snow, no thundersnow here but 50mph+ winds, and the most fun tracking a winter storm in the modern weather forum era.

April 19-21, 1901.  This is a bit obscure, but it was similar to November 1950 for Ohio in long duration and snowfall amounts, only more focused on the eastern half of the state.  Some areas had 50 hours of continuous snowfall and nearly 4 feet of accumulation. 

It's rare to get double-digit snowfalls in Columbus, and 1909-1910 had 3 of them: January 6-7 with 12.7", February 11-12 with 10.6" and February 16-17 with 15.0".  An incredible run that will likely not happen again for another 100 years, if ever.

And of course, January 1978.  I wasn't around for it, but it's basically legend in the Great Lakes.

Honorable Mentions:

April 2-7, 1886: Near continuous snowfall for 6 days with 17" total.

November 1950

January 12, 1918: An early version of 1978.

December 19, 1995: Just one of the most memorable snow events for me growing up.

February 2003

March 2008

1. Hands Down. Buffalo,NY Dec 24-29, 2001 81"+

2. Buffalo Blizzard 1977

3. Syracuse, NY Blizzard of 93 45"

Here is what the final results were out this way during that week in Dec 2001.

Even more lake effect snow redeveloped on the 28th and continued through the 29th, producing additional snowfall of 8 to as much as twenty two inches across the area. The heaviest snow fell in Bloomingdale (Van Buren county), where 15 inches of snow fell in 24 hours and 22 inches of snow fell from the 28th through the 29th. The axis of heaviest snow set up south of Grand Rapids, mainly from Battle Creek west to the shore of Lake Michigan. 12 to 18 inches of snow was common across that area. There was also a narrow strip of around a foot of snow that fell about 25 miles inland from Ottawa county north to Mason county. These were the final days of moderate to heavy lake effect snow which persisted through the week. Storm total snowfalls broke all previous records for snowfall in one week in several locations across southwest Michigan. Grandville (Kent county) ended up with 70.2 inches of snow for the week, which was the greatest reported snowfall total across the area. Bloomingdale (Van Buren county) ended up with a total of 60.2 inches of snowfall for the week. The National Weather Service Forecast Office in Grand Rapids (Kent county) had a storm total snowfall of 50.6 inches for the week. Generally speaking, the heaviest snow accumulations for the week occurred along the US-131 corridor from Grand Rapids down through Allegan county, where two to four feet of snow fell.

Incredible totals considering the much shorter fetch we have vs Buffalo etc. Total for the week here was 26.2" and about 19" of that fell between the 27th and 30th which is incredible for being this far in away from the lake.

This would probably be #4.

Here is what the final results were out this way during that week in Dec 2001.

Incredible totals considering the much shorter fetch we have vs Buffalo etc. Total for the week here was 26.2" and about 19" of that fell between the 27th and 30th which is incredible for being this far in away from the lake.

This would probably be #4.

Also with that event... Petoskey, Charlevoix to Indian River had amounts that ranged from 40"-80" as well. 

December 1929 (LAF), January 1967 (IKK), and January 1978 (LAF).

But if I could only pick one...it's January 1978. Lowest snow total of my three chosen storms to relive...but the overall ferocity of the storm makes it #1 easily. Of course I was alive for that storm, and in IL at the time, though not much memory being I was only 2 years old, almost 3. :D

That 1929 event was crazy because of the amount of rain we had prior to changing to snow.  Rarely do you get slammed with heavy rain and then change over to 20" of snow in this area!

So I think my list would be December 1929, January 1978 and January 1999.  1999 was special for me because it was the first mega snow I can remember...much of the 80s and 90s were terrible as far as that goes.  

That 1929 event was crazy because of the amount of rain we had prior to changing to snow.  Rarely do you get slammed with heavy rain and then change over to 20" of snow in this area!

So I think my list would be December 1929, January 1978 and January 1999.  1999 was special for me because it was the first mega snow I can remember...much of the 80s and 90s were terrible as far as that goes.  

Right, the heavy rainfall before would be something to see.

Jan 1999 was next for me, but I had to mainly go with three storms that either I wasn't alive for or too young to remember.

Archived