• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 4-6th Winter Storm Part 3

Whitelakeroy

Almost a minor miracle both you and Indy (more so them) stayed all snow. Which is awesome. And I don't know...it's been pound town here with these last bands of snow. 10" at least is probably assured for you.

I wasn't too worried about IND staying all snow, but I was sweating bullets for us.  I would love to hear reports out of New Castle.  If they stayed all snow, then, based on what I've seen on the radar today, that might be another jackpot location.

The winds have been dead calm all day, but I'm starting to hear the first few wind gusts up in the clouds in the last five minutes.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I noticed the visibility was pretty high along the QEW in Oakville and Burlington. Pingers and/or ZR may have already started to mix in.

Going to head out for another walk to watch the beginning of mixing around here. I'm a bit north of the QEW and with less UHI influence so pingers may be on the way very shortly. Will measure snowfall as soon as changeover occurs.

Nice dry circle pushing into southeast Michigan.  Nice dry bubble pushing into southeast Michigan.  Nice subsidence-caused dry bubble pushing into southeast Michigan.  Who cares?  It's there.  I'm pointing it out.  Deny it if you want to.

Dry air took this from historic to epic for my backyard.

Even with incredible dynamics dry air would rip the base apart while the Composite was solid green.

We need to get a radar around Toledo.

Based on the snowfall reports from the NW Ohio members, the DTX and CLE radar clearly aren't doing that area justice.

I just use a combination of DTW and IWX radars and don't rely on the composite because it can be kind of deceptive. CLE's too far away to be useful, especially in winter.

Just got back assisting two people with getting their car stuck out of the snow. One in the parking lot and one who was stuck in a ditch down the road. That one required a tow truck. As we were digging them out we heard sirens in the distance. I wish people would take these travel restrictions seriously.

In the meantime winds have really picked up. I would easily say 9 inches now but becoming more difficult to pick up measurements.

We need to get a radar around Toledo.

Based on the snowfall reports from the NW Ohio members, the DTX and CLE radar clearly aren't doing that area justice.

centgrtlakes_loop.gif

We are getting drilled in Toledo two of my operators burnt the wiper motors out of there loaders because it is snowing so hard. Rippin'. Off-topic but why can't I post pictures from my iPhone to my replies? Thanks

11.4" of snow thus far here in Northern Oakland County. Guessing we end up between 16-18" of snow here, which would be the biggest storm that I can remember.

Biggest storms that I can remember for Northern Oakland county:

NYD 2008 15-16"

Dec 2000 14-18"

April 2005 12-16"

Jan 2-3 1999 12-14"

-SN has shut off now here. 3.8" total.

Some pictures from late this afternoon.

Yeah there is a road there.

post-7389-0-93273500-1388965860_thumb.jp

The haziness over the snow cover is mainly the snow being carried by the wind. Wasn't more than flurries at the time.

post-7389-0-45523200-1388965870_thumb.jp

post-7389-0-80698200-1388965880_thumb.jp

Interesting drifts coming through the trees along farm  fields.

post-7389-0-23533400-1388965892_thumb.jp

post-7389-0-65570700-1388965902_thumb.jp

This picture doesn't do it justice, but the snow banks on each side of the road are 3'+.

post-7389-0-03882200-1388965911_thumb.jp

Just got back assisting two people with getting their car stuck out of the snow. One in the parking lot and one who was stuck in a ditch down the road. That one required a tow truck. As we were digging them out we heard sirens in the distance. I wish people would take these travel restrictions seriously.

In the meantime winds have really picked up. I would easily say 9 inches now but becoming more difficult to pick up measurements.

This definitely.. 

Biggest storms that I can remember for Northern Oakland county:

NYD 2008 15-16"

Dec 2000 14-18"

April 2005 12-16"

Jan 2-3 1999 12-14"

What was the April 2005 storm? I remember all of the rest of them, but not that one for some reason. I did get a huge storm that year though, but it was on January 22nd and the total was about the same (14", second biggest storm I've ever witnessed)

Archived