Newest Member
    joxey
January 3-6th Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Skilling just posted all this on FB.

All looks GO for SNOW! Light snow begins Saturday afternoon, but jet stream dynamics lock in Saturday night and Sunday. That's when snowfall is to pick up. 
Here's is the National Weather Service's SREF model jet stream forecast for Sunday as well as our RPM model jet forecast (at 500 mb-roughly 18,000 ft) placing Chicago in the left-front exit region of the jet--a region of synoptic scale lift. It's the place snowfall thrives and is right where you want to be if you want accumulating snow.
The mammoth Canadian high pressure depicted on the GFS model surface forecast panel puts at 1052 mb (31.07") the central pressure the of air mass which is to bring Chicago's brutal round of bitterly cold air Sunday night through Tuesday and into Tuesday night.

1507602_10152081191206760_502097854_n.jp

1488328_10152081191481760_943935979_n.jp

1531870_10152081196791760_1976504395_n.j

here's one for you, NWohweather- the NAM 4km run that just finished. Still going your way to northwest Ohio. Don't know if the NAM has been super on synoptics here, but this is what we got with this model

attachicon.gif2014_01_04_00z_4kmNAM_snow1.png

That is almost a picture of my thinking with this storm. All along it's looked like Indy to Fort Wayne getting absolutely crushed

00z euro near identical to 12z euro..blah

I noticed something a bit goofy with the Euro though that no other model has, it pulls some sort of vorticity out of Mexico and strings it out ahead of the main vorticity max, this in turn lowers the heights just a bit out ahead of the system which would lead to a further SE track. Considering it is the only model that is doing it to this extent, I would question that solution some. Of course the fact it is the Euro means you have to give it at least some weight, but last couple of storms at this junction had some funny business on the Euro.

If I had to guess, the RGEM/NAM deepen to rapidly. Probably won't be to it moves through Ohio that is starts deepening in that manner. The globals seem to be indicating that.

Makes sense, almost a general rule of thumb seems to be storms don't start to really strengthen until they hit the 40th parallel or get close to it in the US

Still liking around the 4-5" mark locally. Add in a little bit due to lake enhancement, and 5.3" looks like a good final number. With that, I will "officially" exceed the normal seasonal total for the area. I do realize the upside potential of this thing, so I'm not trying to be pessimistic. Still, uncertainty abounds and I don't feel too comfortable going above that number for now (not like it makes any difference, unless my walls really care about my personal forecast).

Looking pretty interesting for lake enhancement across Porter/La Porte/Starke. Might look into that more in the morning.

Archived