joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
00z Model Discussion | January 2-3 Winter storm

user13

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We could have near blizzard conditions on Thursday night if this storm verifies.

In the United States, the National Weather Service defines a blizzard as sustained 35mph (56 km/h) winds which lead to blowing snow and cause visibilities of 500ft or less, lasting for at least 3 hours. Temperature is not taken into consideration when issuing a blizzard warning, but the nature of these storms is such that cold air is often present when the other criteria are met. Temperatures are generally below 0 °C (32 °F).

In the United States, the National Weather Service defines a blizzard as sustained 35mph (56 km/h) winds which lead to blowing snow and cause visibilities of 500ft or less, lasting for at least 3 hours. Temperature is not taken into consideration when issuing a blizzard warning, but the nature of these storms is such that cold air is often present when the other criteria are met. Temperatures are generally below 0 °C (32 °F).

Wonderful!

As Forky has said,  the 500 mb trough had Soooooo much  potential.  Now at least one of the models has come around.  Can't wait to see the GFS.

I figured it was a matter of time before the surface depictions caught on. I also figured this would be a nailbiter right until the ball dropped. Let's hope the remaining 0z suite follows suit.

Not that I think 6-8 is a bad forecast, but isn't it prudent to have correct totals upfront, rather than increasing as the storm is ongoing?

I agree. However, since the NWS confidence is not high for that much they are typically conservative and will up the numbers as we get closer to the event and if future analysis warrants.

While some may say the NAM is overdone. It's solution it very possible. I'm still staying with my 6-8" forecast for LI. Wouldn't jump on board for any higher if the GFS and Euro aren't better.

Also to note, NAM now has temps well below 0 in NYC Sat AM.

I'd say 6-8" is a good call for now. But if the other models strengthen their surface depictions, amounts to 12" are possible. This will probably be the "wintriest" storm since Boxing Day 2010 when combining the snow, frigid cold and winds. It will look like a tundra on Friday outside and the wind and cold will make it nearly unbearable to be outside.

Archived